Manbug Salt - use for cutting braided fishing line?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bluecrab4x4

Manbug Salt - use for cutting braided fishing line?

Post by bluecrab4x4 »

I am looking for a small knife that will do a good job cutting braided fishing line that I can use in salt water environment.

Looks like Manbug Salt is a good size and I like the sheepsfoot but will the serrated edge work well on braid?
BLUETYPEII

Re: Manbug Salt - use for cutting braided fishing line?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

You can get a Manbug Salt that has a serrated hawk bill blade. This would be perfect for your needs if you can find one, if not get a Dragonfly. If it was me and cutting braided fishing line was the main purpose for having the knife. I wouldn’t get a serrated hawk bill. Hawk bill blades are made for cutting rope and line. A serrated edge works very well on rope and line too. Just make sure you can sharpen it.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

That little knife is very capable. End of story.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I use a SE HB Ladybug or SE HB Dragonfly to cut braid regularly. They both cut 4lb braid cleanly but obvious need to be sharp. Heavier braid is even easier to cut. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
atv223

Post by atv223 »

I have the Manbug salt, Ladybug hawkbill se salt, and Dragonfly SE salt. When sharp, they’ll all cut braid but honestly a knife isn’t the best tool for cutting fishing line particularly tag ends on knots. I love my salt Series knives but their are better tools for cutting braided fishing line.
David R

Post by David R »

Agree - I prefer clippers to a knife for line. I have a set from somewhere that look like nail clippers. When they get dull I toss them out and get new ones. When I was fishing 3-4x per week they would last a year or two. Fresh water only - likely would not last in salt.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

atv223 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 pm
I love my salt Series knives but their are better tools for cutting braided fishing line.
Agree!

Off chasing Mud Marlin right now! :)

Edit: Yesterday’s Mud Marlin. Good fun on 4lb string. :rolleyes:

Last edited by Bloke on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Those scissors like Army Medics or rescue squads use are excellent for cutting different sizes of line, braided and mono alike.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Post by Tims »

I use whatever knife I have on me for cutting braid and have never had an issue. I use the following technique(apologies no pic, I’ll try my best to explain).

1)Hold knot between left thumb & index finger.
2)Knife in right hand, lay the line or tag end across the face of the blade and pinch the end of the line down with your thumb against the blade.
3) tilt blade edge up with right hand, pull knot down with left. Pop goes the weasil.

Works on any braid ive used from 4lb to 65lb. Heavy line might need a bit of ‘back and forth’ but as long as your knife is sharp, not much. Makes no difference if plain edge or serrated, so pick a knife you love, keep it sharp and take it fishin’.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

David R wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 pm
Agree - I prefer clippers to a knife for line. I have a set from somewhere that look like nail clippers. When they get dull I toss them out and get new ones. When I was fishing 3-4x per week they would last a year or two. Fresh water only - likely would not last in salt.

Same, I just use toenail clippers but they definitely would rust around salt water. In that case I would look for something in SE H1, the serrations will help to grab and cut line and won't allow it to slip down the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

The best thing I've found for braid is the Boomerang Tools snips (not actually from the Land of Bloke, unfortunately). There are several styles, including this saltwater model:

Tims

Post by Tims »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:41 am
David R wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Same, I just use toenail clippers but they definitely would rust around salt water. In that case I would look for something in SE H1, the serrations will help to grab and cut line and won't allow it to slip down the edge.
I think I tried toe nail clippers once. They work for mono and flouro but tend to squash and fray braided/fused dyneema :(
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Tims wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:43 am
I use whatever knife I have on me for cutting braid and have never had an issue. I use the following technique(apologies no pic, I’ll try my best to explain).

1)Hold knot between left thumb & index finger.
2)Knife in right hand, lay the line or tag end across the face of the blade and pinch the end of the line down with your thumb against the blade.
3) tilt blade edge up with right hand, pull knot down with left. Pop goes the weasil.

Works on any braid ive used from 4lb to 65lb. Heavy line might need a bit of ‘back and forth’ but as long as your knife is sharp, not much. Makes no difference if plain edge or serrated, so pick a knife you love, keep it sharp and take it fishin’.
This exactly. ^ Good description.

I will add that serrated works fine but it is best to lay the line in a single wide serration and use it as a plain edge.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Robbob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 am
The best thing I've found for braid is the Boomerang Tools snips (not actually from the Land of Bloke, unfortunately). There are several styles, including this saltwater model:

Hey Robbob, the Boomerang’s an excellent braid cutter. I’ve used a mate’s a few times while fishing together. I’ll buy my own before too long because my little ceramic scissors are starting to munch braid in a section of the blades closest to the pivot after a couple of years because I use them to cut through flouro leader knots as well.

The Stingray’s worth a look too. It cuts braid cleanly and it’s handy particularly if you change lures often but I somehow managed to accidentally cut my line between the reel and stripper guide one day and haven’t used it since and now I can’t even find it. :rolleyes: :)

https://youtu.be/FizB4DIAuiY
Tannhauser

Post by Tannhauser »

I always use scissors or clippers to cut braided line. If I'm fishing in salt water I rinse them off with fresh water at the end of the day. In an emergency situation I have no problems cutting braided line with any sharp knife, it's just more difficult to obtain a neat, clean cut.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:20 pm
You can get a Manbug Salt that has a serrated hawk bill blade.
Does this exist? I haven't seen it.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:20 pm
You can get a Manbug Salt that has a serrated hawk bill blade.
Does this exist? I haven't seen it.

Ladybug, he means. Or Dfly, I suppose.
- best wishes, Jazz.
atv223

Post by atv223 »

Robbob wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 am

That's exactly my goto. I have one clipped on my PFD since I do a lot of kayak fishing. The only problem is, the cutter gets dull have a season or so. They are only $12 so not to bad, but I started taking them apart and can sharpen it :)
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Any sharp knife.
Justin