CTSBD1 stainless?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mom3ntuM

CTSBD1 stainless?

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Sharpened and oiled my polestar 2 days ago,, and today i inspected the blade and it has started to rust. Is This normal for bd1?.
Have owned and used This knife for quite a while and i have never seen rust before..
Attachments
IMG_20181126_184040.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
tvenuto

Re: CTSBD1 stainless?

Post by tvenuto »

Certainly possible. Contact with sweat or acid could be the culprit.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Mom3ntuM:
CTS BD1 is a stainless steel but stainless just means it stains - less. It is possible. What did you use for lubricant?

I'm going to move this thread from Off-Topic to General Discussion. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

CTSBD1 is pretty dang corrosion resistant in my experience, but I have seen specks of rust when I've sweated on my BD1 knives and forgot to wipe them off.

Luckily, any rust that does form on this steel can usually be wiped off with a damp paper towel.
:unicorn
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'm aware that its stain less and not rustproof, but i would like it to Stain a little "lesser" :)
IT must be from sweat i guess, i do sweat sometimes when working.
I have had a tenacious living in the same pocket under equal coditions for years without a speck of rust, so maybe bd1 is less stainless? I use prolink chainlube on my workblades.
Its not a big deal and i Just removed the rust with scotchbrite but i was a bit surprised that it rusted so Quick..
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mom3,

I'm surprised as well. Please keep us posted on future rusting? It should be at least as rust resistant as the tenacious. Is anyone else having corrosion issues with BD1?

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I'm not very gentle with my M2LW in BD1 and have never had a rusting issue. And it's been through things that would be rust prone but nary a problem.

I don't oil it and sometimes the best I can do at the moment is well meaning wipe down on my pants. I think it's a very nice and underrated steel.

But, as said, the right conditions can cause stainless to rust.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Is BD1N more stainless with the nitrogen addition?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:04 pm
I'm aware that its stain less and not rustproof, but i would like it to Stain a little "lesser" :)
IT must be from sweat i guess, i do sweat sometimes when working.
I have had a tenacious living in the same pocket under equal coditions for years without a speck of rust, so maybe bd1 is less stainless? I use prolink chainlube on my workblades.
Its not a big deal and i Just removed the rust with scotchbrite but i was a bit surprised that it rusted so Quick..
That surprises me. In my experience the 8Cr of the Tenacious is more prone to rusting than BD1. I haven't used many steels that resist corrosion as well as BD1 aside from rust proof stuff like Ti and H1. The Tenacious isn't a coated blade, is it?

Depending on your body chemistry, sweat can be very corrosive. I've corroded a lot of steels known for a high level of corrosion resistance in a day or two, like S30V, VG10, S110V etc. It's one of the reasons I generally stick to H1 in the hotter months.

Another idea is to carry somewhere that the knife is exposed to sweat less. For example, carrying IWB is about the worst possible spot in this context, followed by right front pocket, while cargo pockets and similar locations expose them to less sweat. Something to consider if that is the cause.
:unicorn
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

BD1 is one of the more stainless blades I use and so far haven't even stained it, much less rust.
What did you use it for between the time you cleaned/oiled, and when you saw the rust?
How easy was it to clean off?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

The tenacious used to be coated, but now its Just a hint of Black surrounding china and 8cr13mov.
I cut some floorcover paper, opened acrylic filler tubes, shaved knots of wallplanks, cleaned out some dried paint from a bucket + a 100 more things, i use my knife a lot during a day.
I always keep my knife in my right front pocket.
I didnt think of This at First but i had another knife in my pocket at the same time, when i checked that knife it had rusted trough its coating.. This was a Sr11 in Sleipner steel, could This somehow have transfered to the polestar?
James Dean
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:18 pm
I didnt think of This at First but i had another knife in my pocket at the same time, when i checked that knife it had rusted trough its coating.. This was a Sr11 in Sleipner steel, could This somehow have transfered to the polestar?
Yes. Did the rust just wipe off?
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I had to use scotchbrite to get it of, but that was mainly the stains under the rust.
James Dean
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

It looks like the corrosion is in the least used part of the blade. Maybe from sweat or transfer from the other knife while pocketed between uses and untouched during use?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is odd, to say the least. Does it wipe off? Can it be debris stuck to the blade?

While BD1 can rust, it is not prone to it in the least. Mine is in salty air, sweat, jungle 100% humidity 24/7 and I have never experienced this. I have gotten debris on my blades that looked like rust, but it was just foreign particulate stuck to the blade. I cleaned the blade and it was fine.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:57 pm
Hi Mom3,

I'm surprised as well. Please keep us posted on future rusting? It should be at least as rust resistant as the tenacious. Is anyone else having corrosion issues with BD1?

sal
I've carried a Manix 2 LW combo edge in BD1 for years as my go-to EDC/Work knife - probably 4 or 5 out of every 7 days. I do live in the northern midwest far, far way from any salt water but I've been...abusive to this knife :) Boxes, tape, strapping, fiber and copper cabling, wood, and more than a little food. I wipe it off when I'm done. Usually...

I've had to re-profile the edge but I've never seen a speck of rust.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've never noticed any rust issues with CTS BD1 either. My M2LW is one of my go-tos on long(ish), sweaty hikes for particularly this reason.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Maybe its a case of toxic pocketsweat. I'm carrying it today and the rest of the week to see if it happens again.. Now it got its own pocket,, no chance for cross contamination
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

I must admit that I not a big believer in"cross contamination" between folding knives in pockets.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

4 days in the pocket and the rust is back, and its not from something i cut because I didn't use it.
In my other pocket i carried 3 knives, of the 4 knives i carried only 1 didnt rust, and that was the pacific salt..
Brand New delica vg 10 developed tiny rustspots and a d2 blade larger ones.. I dont blame the steel, but my sweaty pockets.
So i guess 4 days(hectic 12-14 hours a day) in the pocket of my workpants Will challenge a lot of steels :)
I think an upgrade to lc200n is in order, but i have to wait until 2019, i dont think my accountant Will let me write off more knives This year ;).
Again, the rusting is no problem and easy to fix, and it gives me an excuse to buy more knives.
If spyderco wants to do some corrosion testing, my left pocket is at your disposal.
😂
James Dean