Drop Point vs. Leaf Shape (UKPK)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

For models that are/were offered in both blade shapes, which do you prefer and why?

Drop Point
41%
Leaf Shape
59%

Total votes: 34

m6steen

Drop Point vs. Leaf Shape (UKPK)

Post by m6steen »

Sal has mentioned that "the market seems to prefer leaf blades", but I thought it would be informative/interesting to see what this market thinks.

I'm specifically thinking of the UKPK, but feel free to comment on other models. It would be nice if every version of the UKPK came in both shapes, but I realize that's asking a lot from Spyderco. Personally, I find the drop point to be slightly more functional because the tip is shorter and able to to maneuver better (e.g. coring an apple), but find its form less appealing than the leaf shape.
Last edited by m6steen on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

vivi

Re: UKPK Drop Point vs. Leaf Shape

Post by vivi »

Leaf. They work better for me for scraping tasks, scooping food off a cutting board, etc.

I've never used a knife tip to core an apple myself. I use the middle of the cutting edge and push cut a V notch

https://youtu.be/1Xw4u6LMt14&t=0m40s - Like that
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like them both, but for the UKPK, for example, I find the leaf opens up a box better.
- best wishes, Jazz.
foofie

Post by foofie »

m6steen wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm
Personally, I find the drop point to be slightly more functional because the tip is shorter and able to to maneuver better (e.g. coring an apple), but find its form less appealing than the leaf shape.
Kinda funny - was thinking the exact opposite thing today.
I have been trying out my drop point in BD1N. I really like the look of the drop point, and the BD1N has been fine. But the leaf shape just seems to cut better for me. I thought a few times today that I would rather have had my s110v version on me.

I would buy whatever blade any UKPK was offered in - but would stick with the leaf if there is a choice.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I have two UKPK's both are drop point. One BD1 PE and one GIN1 SE, I can't explain why exactly but they seem more
"penknifey " in this blade shape. For me, the leaf seems more suited to lock-knives. Strangely considering the DNA shared by these models, I wouldn't think twice about acquiring a Caly3 with a leaf blade. Weird I know. :confused:
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
UrbanMoose

Re: Drop Point vs. Leaf Shape (UKPK)

Post by UrbanMoose »

I agree with Ngati Pom. The drop point seems more 'penknife' than and the leaf more 'tactical'. Living in the UK, the friendlier shape of the drop point appeals more. I also prefer the lower pocket profile of the drop point. I think both are great patterns and would love to see an Urban in drop point.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The drop point definitely has a less threatening appearance--it's more "traditional pocket knife-ey". However, I find the leaf enough of a utility improvement that I still go with the leaf shape pretty much every time I have a choice.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

What's your opinion on the improvement of the leaf other than being slightly more pointy? The Drop point has slightly more belly..