EDC advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
En Fuego Mark

EDC advice

Post by En Fuego Mark »

Looking for advice for an EDC. I like the Dragonfly and the Delica. One is a tad too big and one is a tad too small. Wondering if there is one inbeween these two. And I there another one I should be considering? Thanks in advance!
holeshot

Re: EDC advice

Post by holeshot »

First, welcome to the fourm! Either the Delica or Dragonfly are excellent EDC knives I carry them regularly and find they are more than adequate for all my daily cutting needs. I'm not what would be a good tweener but I'm sure others will chime in. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

If you're looking for something in between consider the FRN Chaparral.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Chapparal is a great choice.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Dfly really isn’t too small, once you commence to using it, but if you insist, the Chaparral FRN is right what you’re asking for.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If you want a knife in between them, try the Chaparral. If that doesn't work for you, maybe try a Native.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Chaparral or Lil Native
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Spydersense wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:43 pm
Chapparal is a great choice.
This! ^^^^^
En Fuego Mark

Post by En Fuego Mark »

I haven’t looked into the lol native or the chapparal. Those lol like what I’m looking for. Is there come visual chart with all the knives lined up to compare sizes? I can’t see to find anything like that. Thanks for the input!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Chapparal or Native 5.

I wish the Native 5 Salt would hurry up and drop.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

FRN Chaparral is an excellent choice.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:48 pm
The Dfly really isn’t too small, once you commence to using it, but if you insist, the Chaparral FRN is right what you’re asking for.
I'd answer the same. The Chap is a great design, no doubt but for me, it sits in an awkward size space. The D'Fly is an awesome knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Have you ever tried a Caly jr or Caly 3? They're a touch smaller than the Delica, and IMO worlds more comfortable than the Dragonfly or Delica. It's a classic for a reason. It has a little more curve throughout the design than the Delica or Chap, which IMO makes it a more aggressive slicer.
:unicorn
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

What about the lil Native? It’s 2.5” so that falls right between the dragonfly at 2.2?, and Delica at 2.8?

If it were me, I’d go for a Spyderco Para 3 solely on extreme durability. They just are tough as nails like a PM2, only smaller.

If you wanted smaller, I’d get a manbug in ZDP-189
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:39 pm
FRN Chaparral is an excellent choice.
I totally agree. The FRN Chap is my regular EDC knife. It's super thin, light, affordable, and of amazing quality. You absolutely could not do better! It's just a great knife.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 pm
Have you ever tried a Caly jr or Caly 3? They're a touch smaller than the Delica, and IMO worlds more comfortable than the Dragonfly or Delica. It's a classic for a reason. It has a little more curve throughout the design than the Delica or Chap, which IMO makes it a more aggressive slicer.
I also have a Caly Jr and can say that its a nice choice as well. So light! But I personally like the Chap LW better bc of it's thin blade and liners (which the Caly Jr doesn't have). But theyre both freaking awesome knives.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Like others have said. Your answer is prob the chaparral in frn.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I agree with the others. Delica is big enough to cut up fruit, but not so big that you'd have bad control of the tip. (ala Endura)

Dragonfly 2 feels small after the Delica, but with some time to adjust, it feels great. Don't write either of them off.

That said, if you're sure you want to jump to something in the middle, check out the Li'l Native. The Native is about the same size as the Endura, but has a bigger gripping area and a smaller portion of usable blade. Also, it's US-made, instead of Japanese.

For what it's worth, I have both a Delica 4 and a Dragonfly 2. Love them both. Native or Li'l Native, I'll probably add some day.
-Jeremy
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Chaparral is exactly the knife you are looking for. If you want a non-locking knife the Urban LW is the way to go. There are a lot of us, here, that have these two knives for the same reason: not too big and not too small, but just right.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050