Suggest a medium sized Spyderco FB for hiking & camping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Suggest a medium sized Spyderco FB for hiking & camping

Post by vivi »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:53 am
I'd grab that Junction. Looks thin too. Hate bulky knives for hiking.
I've got a thing for the Moran, but that isn't what you're after.

Could try the Contego fixed blade for hiking. Doubt it would be awesome for your purposes but you'd look good using it and that's a lot of M4 steel.
I like they way the Contego FB looks but I know the horn between the scales and blade would drive me crazy. Same reason I'm not a fan of the Moran.

I must have weird thumbs, because so many knife designs don't work for me because of the thumb ramp placement. Always seems the tip of the horn is right where I want to rest the pad of my thumb....and choking up in the choil to carve wood I know it'd press into the palm of my hand.
:unicorn
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

All too often, handle design gets overlooked on knives intended for these tasks. A properly designed handle that fills out and fits your hand doesn't need much in terms of traction. Also, a fuller handle will mean less fatigue and hot spots.

I'd have to give serious attention to the Serrata and Moran Drop Point. The idea of batoning with a knife in anything other than extreme situations is beyond me though so I don't put much thought into that.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am
All too often, handle design gets overlooked on knives intended for these tasks. A properly designed handle that fills out and fits your hand doesn't need much in terms of traction. Also, a fuller handle will mean less fatigue and hot spots.

I'd have to give serious attention to the Serrata and Moran Drop Point. The idea of batoning with a knife in anything other than extreme situations is beyond me though so I don't put much thought into that.
The Serrata does look really nice, I kind of overlooked that one. The handle looks very comfortable.

I might have to drive to the nearest shop that has a robust Spyderco selection and compare a few models in hand before I make my choice.

Regarding batoning, I don't do it every day, but in certain situation it makes life more convenient. Whatever I end up buying, I'd expect it to be able to hold up to some moderate batoning and chopping....as much as you can do with a small knife of course. My Aqua Salt and Street Bowie take that sort of use in stride.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will say that the Moran was tested by the Military and passed. It has the same tang as the much loved Mora knives and those things see a lot of abuse from bushcrafters, so I do not see why the Moran would not stand up.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Vivi, did you consider the Buck Vanguard? Seems like just the thing.

They have the plain one with checkered rubber grip and brass pommel/guard.

They have rosewood/brass, which is my favorite.

Now, they also have rosewood/brass with S30V blade. I have a Buck Woodsman that I quite like, but the sharp, swept back tip is not for everyone, and would probably not hold up to batoning.

Speaking of that, may I humbly recommend a hatchet or small camp axe instead of a knife and beating the **** out of it as if it's the only tool at hand? They're much better for this kind of duty than machetes and fixed blade knives.
-Jeremy
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Also: Buck Selkirk or Selkirk Small. (these are flat ground w/micarta; just what you're after, I think)
-Jeremy
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:10 pm
I will say that the Moran was tested by the Military and passed. It has the same tang as the much loved Mora knives and those things see a lot of abuse from bushcrafters, so I do not see why the Moran would not stand up.
Having abused many hidden tang knives, I have no doubt the Moran is durable enough, but the ergos do not work for me. It was one of the first Spyderco fixed blades I handled in person, intending to purchase, but instead I left that shop with a Perrin.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Smaug wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:01 am
Vivi, did you consider the Buck Vanguard? Seems like just the thing.

They have the plain one with checkered rubber grip and brass pommel/guard.

They have rosewood/brass, which is my favorite.

Now, they also have rosewood/brass with S30V blade. I have a Buck Woodsman that I quite like, but the sharp, swept back tip is not for everyone, and would probably not hold up to batoning.

Speaking of that, may I humbly recommend a hatchet or small camp axe instead of a knife and beating the **** out of it as if it's the only tool at hand? They're much better for this kind of duty than machetes and fixed blade knives.
I get more utility out of a knife where I live than a hatchet or axe. I own a good hatchet, a finely made hand and a half swedish axe, and a Fiskars splitting maul, on top of machetes, a Scrapyard Dogfather, bahco folding saws, etc.

I know I want a knife. These days I like the combo of a medium blade, folding saw and a multi-tool. When I lived further up north my axes saw more use.

I took a look at the Buck Vanguard and Selkirk....don't think they're quite what I'm looking for. The Selkirks large sharpening notch makes it a no go, looks like a fine design other than that. The Vanguard is a gorgeous looking knife but I'd rather not have a half height hollow ground stainless blade for a rugged camp knife.

FWIW I always bring a multitool with me as well, either a Victorinox Farmer or Leatherman Rebar.

I'm also considering the ESEE HM4 or HM6. I'm not a fan of the handle shape on the normal ESEE 4/6 but these looks comfy. Wish they were thinner stock though.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No I'm not being redundant and no I don't care that it was discontinued over 10 years ago. I still say that Spyderco's TEMPERANCE 1 model is the absolute perfect mid-sized fixed blade. And the fact that they made it in both Spyderedge and PE just makes it that much more of a perfect EDC and camp knife.

The only thing I would change about the TEMP 1 if we were in a perfect world would be to make a newer/better handle in G-10 over the original FRN.

A Salt version of the TEMP 1 in LC200N would also make a great outdoor blade. It was literally perfect to begin with. I've also thought at times that a fixed blade version of the CHINOOK III in both SE & PE would be ideal in that size range as well.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:41 am
N
benben

Post by benben »

I ordered our youth pastor at church a Esee 3HM, should be in the mailbox today. This guy loves to hike and camp, usually hiking 12 to 15 miles to get to his campsite.

I was going to order him a orange Endura and a Mora Companion.......and was pretty set on this combination, which would have been a great gift!

After Googling for two days..... I was looking at the regular Esse 3, which for some reason just didn’t do it for me, well this other model popped up several times with a different handle and no choil, looks interesting!

Found out the model (HM), done a little research and read some reviews, all glowing positive reviews! Several reviewers said they thought the HM model could replace the standard Esee models, that the handle was that good!

I’ll let you know how it feels once I get my hands on it. Oh and BTW, the HM stands for handle modification.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Well, I made a decision. I'll post photos once it's here
benben wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:28 am
I ordered our youth pastor at church a Esee 3HM, should be in the mailbox today. This guy loves to hike and camp, usually hiking 12 to 15 miles to get to his campsite.

I was going to order him a orange Endura and a Mora Companion.......and was pretty set on this combination, which would have been a great gift!

After Googling for two days..... I was looking at the regular Esse 3, which for some reason just didn’t do it for me, well this other model popped up several times with a different handle and no choil, looks interesting!

Found out the model (HM), done a little research and read some reviews, all glowing positive reviews! Several reviewers said they thought the HM model could replace the standard Esee models, that the handle was that good!

I’ll let you know how it feels once I get my hands on it. Oh and BTW, the HM stands for handle modification.
Thanks. I think I found a local store that has an HM model in stock (the 3). Gonna try to check one out today.

Unfortunately I can only find Spyderco folders locally, no FB's.
benben

Post by benben »

Hey Vivi, the 3HM was on the kitchen counter when I got home from work, of course I opened it and cut the bag open to check it out, gotta make sure it’s the correct knife, right?

This little knife is going to be harder than I thought to just hand over to our youth pastor, very nice and feels great in my hands, I’m impressed!
Attachments
486350B5-DA2B-4C52-BFB0-4E0577832534.jpeg
benben

Post by benben »

D347D35A-9886-4FE2-931A-7C68462353EB.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

benben wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:47 pm
Hey Vivi, the 3HM was on the kitchen counter when I got home from work, of course I opened it and cut the bag open to check it out, gotta make sure it’s the correct knife, right?

This little knife is going to be harder than I thought to just hand over to our youth pastor, very nice and feels great in my hands, I’m impressed!
That looks like it could be a nice EDC knife. Smaller than what I ended up going with, but I'll have to add that to my list of knives to try out some day.
benben

Post by benben »

0A9C6BD7-A62E-4F6C-B33F-96514E83DF38.jpeg
benben

Post by benben »

Sorry, trying not to get mad, I struggle posting here from my iPad, I had no problem posting from my PC at work, but my company decided that the Spyderco forum is a evil gateway to weapons :rolleyes:

I post to two other fastpitch / ballglove forums with no problems, just here?
Attachments
2F9A7E97-D072-4D33-B2AF-2628294726A2.jpeg
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

My favorite Spyderco in this category is the Temperance 2. I love the blade and the handle equally. It’s a very versatile design that does many things well.
Matt Deaner

Post by Matt Deaner »

+1 on the Temperance 2. I have many Spyderco fixed blades including the Junction, Seratta, various mule teams, sprig, Moran, Southfork, and a couple swicks. I rely on the Temp 2 for the vast majority of hunting, fishing, and camping tasks. I have a backup Temp 2 just in case.

What makes it great for me is the versatile blade shape and the handle that feels like an extension of my hand. I love the kydex sheath too. Carries high and discreet with comfort.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Have a jumpmaster 2.
I would like the same shape, ffg, lc200n.
That would be a buy.

Stepping down a tad in blade length, I like my mules M4 + M390 hiking, fishing, light camp / wood work.
Over the last weekend, been using and enjoying my chisel ground SET Sharpfinger in A2.
C
Attachments
2018-11-27 21.44.38.jpg