Kapara vs. PM2 - Box cutting.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Re: Kapara vs. PM2 - Box cutting.

Post by Zatx »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm

/ But back to the original topic: As you own a PM2: Do you think it is a better cardboard-cutter than the Endura or Stretch? Or did you even try that out maybe? Just curious...
My first Spyderco was an Endura 4 ZDP189 followed closely by a Caly 3, also in ZDP189 that I purchased at least twelve years ago; both are sitting on my workbench right now. Since that time I've owned around 100 Spydercos, but once I got around to getting a PM2 (I held out for years, incorrectly thinking they were too large), I haven't bought any other models until this Kapara. I've never been a fan of the FRN models so I never regularly carried a Delica to test its box-cutting abilities, but out of all the models I've owned, the PM2 stands above the rest in nearly every cutting category.

Tell you what, Wartstein, since I just purchased a new 521000 cf PM2 yesterday, I will mail you my first PM2 and you can try it out for free; keep it as long as you like and test it all you want. Send me your contact information via private message and I'll mail it out this week.
Wartstein

Re: Kapara vs. PM2 - Box cutting.

Post by Wartstein »

Zatx wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:09 pm

My first Spyderco was an Endura 4 ZDP189 followed closely by a Caly 3, also in ZDP189 that I purchased at least twelve years ago; both are sitting on my workbench right now. Since that time I've owned around 100 Spydercos, but once I got around to getting a PM2 (I held out for years, incorrectly thinking they were too large), I haven't bought any other models until this Kapara. I've never been a fan of the FRN models so I never regularly carried a Delica to test its box-cutting abilities, but out of all the models I've owned, the PM2 stands above the rest in nearly every cutting category.

Tell you what, Wartstein, since I just purchased a new 521000 cf PM2 yesterday, I will mail you my first PM2 and you can try it out for free; keep it as long as you like and test it all you want. Send me your contact information via private message and I'll mail it out this week.
Zatx, that´s actually one of the nicest offers anyone has ever made to me! Thanx a lot,that´d be so great!! It goes without saying that I´ll cover the shipping costs (I am based in Europe) to me and back to you again, unfortunately I do not own a credit card (we don´t really need one here in Europe, at least I do not), but paypal - I´ll send you a private message for that matter.

I´ve owned (and partly own) "only" about 20 Spyderco till right now, but never a PM2. Heard many good things of course, but did not like the cutting edge to handle ratio and the fragile looking Tip (I own a Military, which I like, but most times I find it to big to carry and am concerned about breaking the Tip). So I am really curious!!

/ As for FRN handles: From a practical standpoint they are very good imho, I use my FRNs (Enduras, Stretch, Delica) a lot in harsher conditions while mountaineering, they are light but solid, and the grip still very good when your hands are wet or cold.
But no doubt in any "normal" EDC setting I enjoy the Micarta handles of my Custom Endura, not to say now the Carbon ones on the Kapara a whole lot more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)