Part serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Part serrated

Post by Larry_Mott »

This topic came up in a local FB group today and i thought i'd ask..
Has there ever been (plans for) a PS blade with the serrations on the half closest to the tip? I think it would be preferable to having them the way they are now/has been for a donkey's age.
Any thoughts? Sal?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ric

Re: Part serrated

Post by Ric »

I think you can apply more pressure when they nearer at the handle.
And delicate cutting is better with the tip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I want them in the middle.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I'd like to try one for sure.

But both Ric is correct, you can apply more pressure when near handle.

I use my Endura at full stretch to cut ropes in Containers and (partly it needs sharpening) if I get the rope near the handle and just push it slices through. Harder when nearer tip.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Larry, it has been suggested several times over the 15 years I've been visiting this forum. That's not to say it will never happen, just that it hasn't happened yet. To me, it seems like the logical way to make a PS blade, probably because I have a habit of using my thumb to press something I want to cut against the blade and doing that on a serrated blade pretty much guarantees one or more puncture wounds.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I know of two knives with that front serrations available, the victorinox one hand trekker combo edge and boker direkt. I'd be curious to see someone with a a full serrated spyderco knife spend a few days doing their typical se cutting with the front portion and seeing how it worked out.

I imagine the trick would be figuring out the right balance on pe length vs loss of power if that makes sense. That, and if there's enough market interest. Combo edge in general has a lot on nay sayers.
"Seven for One"
vivi

Post by vivi »

silvershade255 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:29 pm
I know of two knives with that front serrations available, the victorinox one hand trekker combo edge and boker direkt. I'd be curious to see someone with a a full serrated spyderco knife spend a few days doing their typical se cutting with the front portion and seeing how it worked out.

I imagine the trick would be figuring out the right balance on pe length vs loss of power if that makes sense. That, and if there's enough market interest. Combo edge in general has a lot on nay sayers.
I have one of those OHT knives and I'm not wild about it.

By keeping the belly PE, a CE blade is a lot more useful for cutting food on a cutting board or making slices on a flat surface in general.

That's the main drawback of reversing them IMO.

Sure, the OHT gives you a PE section near the handle for greater leverage while carving wood, but honestly a serrated knife makes wood shavings and carves tent pegs and basic traps just fine in my experience.

Victorinox also put the ground edge on the back side, presumably to make the knife a better whittler, since the OHT is marketed as an outdoorsmans tool.

Anyone interested in trying serrations on the front rather than the rear can do so any time they want for $50.

The OHT is a finely made tool, but if I were to do it over I'd opt for the PE two handed trekker, primarily for better ergonomics when sawing. My Alox Farmer has seen much more use over the years largely for that reason.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm not necessarily saying that having the serrations toward the front is a bad idea per se. But I am saying that for most of what I've personally used a combo edge for I've personally found the serrations on the heel side of the blade have always worked out well for me over the years.

Because when I've had folders like my old/original 440V, Spyderedged NATIVE model for instance it is one model that has about 3/4 of an inch of plain edge on the very end. I personally find that configuration to be great for what I mostly use blades for in most cases.

I still maintain for combo edges the key is to having them on a full sized folder like the Military, Endura, JD Smith ect... the ones on models in the size range of the NATIVE, Delica, Manix ect are just in the way many times. That's been my best luck with CE blades.