Spyderco Caly: I admit it, The Caly is superb.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Caly: I admit it, The Caly is superb.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Alright, Alright. I admit it, you all. After looking the design over for a time, and considering the fact that Sal has announced that there will be a Caly 3.5 in FRN, I am very excited about it, even more so than the Sage, right up there with the idea of the Wharncliffe Endura.

The Caly has an excellent leaf-shaped blade, or is it leaf-spear point?

What do you all who are into this think of the idea for the FRN handled version? Very good right?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco Caly: I admit it, The Caly is superb.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Caly really is a great design and it is the knife that replaced my supposed thin and slim pocket knife from another maker as they are the same size and the Caly is better.

I think the FRN 3.5 is going to be a real winner. I hope we get regular production and different colors (but none that are garish).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The caly’s really are great. Caly 3, caly 3.5, caly jr. All very nice. Wish they had as much representation as the paras.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The entire Calypso series is just truly a work of art. To me it's Spyderco's ultimate IN HOUSE designs. The grandDaddy C-54 model is still my all time favorite but the Caly Jr in some versions was really nice too.

The TEMPERANCE 1 model which is still about my all time favorite fixed blade Spyder looks very close to the Calypso design. But if they wanted to do a fixed blade Calypso in the same format as the TEMP 1 I would be all over it>> but I would want a full Spyderedge and plain edge both just like we had with the TEMP 1.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m happy to hear the Caly 3.5 may return, but with an FRN handle.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:22 am
The Caly really is a great design and it is the knife that replaced my supposed thin and slim pocket knife from another maker as they are the same size and the Caly is better.

I think the FRN 3.5 is going to be a real winner
. I hope we get regular production and different colors (but none that are garish).

It depends where it's going to be manufactured( Moki or Seki ) and how well the CQI will do the job. I also pray for a thinner behind the edge blade. I only hope that Sal will be on top of the entire process as he did with the LW Chaparral but than again...we are talking Taichung quality there ....

P.S Let's pray for a miracle... maybe they decide to move the Caly3.5 to Taichung :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:20 am
I’m happy to hear the Caly 3.5 may return, but with an FRN handle.
Yeah I like the Caly 3.5 but I would much rather see a new supersteel version of the C-54 big Calypso model return. If they would bring it back or the C-60 in a supersteel it might set me up with a new EDC>> yeah I would even retire my M390 Military if that were to happen.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Although I do enjoy rotating my EDC with other models, the Caly design is my favorite. The aesthetics are near perfect, the wire clip has me spoiled, and it feels fantastic in my hand.

I'm very interested in the FRN Caly 3.5 that is coming. Ideally, I would like it to be produced in Taiwan or the U.S. so we could enjoy more steel options.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This is one of my more anticipated knives. I'm hoping it is even slimmer (like the Chaparral FRN) and is not pinned.
olywa

Post by olywa »

An FRN Caly 3.5 will be a 'must have' knife for me, preferably non-laminated and screw together construction.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

As long as the FRN doesn't make it too portly, I am all for the FRN Caly.

I honestly hope it is integrated in the whole Endura, Stretch, Delica, Dragonfly, et al... posse. It would be nice to have some sprints down the road.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:18 am
The entire Calypso series is just truly a work of art. To me it's Spyderco's ultimate IN HOUSE designs. The grandDaddy C-54 model is still my all time favorite but the Caly Jr in some versions was really nice too.

The TEMPERANCE 1 model which is still about my all time favorite fixed blade Spyder looks very close to the Calypso design. But if they wanted to do a fixed blade Calypso in the same format as the TEMP 1 I would be all over it>> but I would want a full Spyderedge and plain edge both just like we had with the TEMP 1.
JD, after you mentioned it on the forum and I saw pictures of the Temperance, I too consider it a great knife.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 am
JD Spydo wrote:

JD, after you mentioned it on the forum and I saw pictures of the Temperance, I too consider it a great knife.
Arizona custom has one at a reasonable price right now.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I love my Calypso. I haven't tried the 3 or 3.5, but I want to.
Caly jr didn't work out for me.

One day, I'll find the right 3.5 and give it a shake.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 am
JD Spydo wrote:

If you ever get a chance to get your hands on a TEMPERANCE 1 model then do it!! There is just something so ergonomically precise about that fixed blade model I just can't put it down even after all these years and even after all the new fixed blade models. When you look at it closely it truly does look to me like one of the Calypso models with a name change.

The TEMP 1 just feels like it was truly tailor made for me personally. It fits my hand so perfectly and it's a blessing to work with.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Caly 3.5 has been my EDC for years, occasionally the Carbon Fiber 3.0.