Tangled up in gray...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Calicoast

Tangled up in gray...

Post by Calicoast »

Lately, been nose down in books studying so I needed a break.

Last weekend when I was cleaning the garage I noticed an old Rapala / J.Marttinni 4" fillet that I purchased a while back for $9.00. Brand new in package, with a 1983 date on the back. 4" is a good size for Bluegill, Smaller Trout, etc. I have 6" in the same knife from 68', so I know how well this knife performs.

Overall I think it turned out well.
The bevels were ground uneven, so it took me awhile to find that apex. But being very persistent, and keeping with the sharpie and grays at 20/40, I finally found it. Almost did a self high five as I was alone. It was scary sharp after that point. Diamonds could have gotten me there quicker, but I wanted to see if I could do it with the grays.

Would love to see Spyderco make some of these for smaller fish, and game. Maybe a 4"and a 6". Phil Wilson collaboration?

I think I read somewhere that LC200N was not a good steel for fillet knives? Maybe 154cm might be a better option? I prefer fixed blades for this task.

Waterway should handle the larger fish for me, dorado, tuna, etc. so I am excited about its release. How soon is now?
C
Attachments
2018-11-16 05.53.09.jpg
2018-11-16 05.54.52.jpg
JD Spydo

Re: Tangled up in gray...

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to have one of those old Rapala knives myself. I think I might still have it in some of my storage unit totes. I used to carry mine in my tackle box for years and used it quite a bit over the years.

But I'm going on a search for more of Spyderco's CATCHERMAN models and I'm hoping they cave in and do some new ones.
Calicoast

Re: Tangled up in gray...

Post by Calicoast »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:44 am
I used to have one of those old Rapala knives myself. I think I might still have it in some of my storage unit totes. I used to carry mine in my tackle box for years and used it quite a bit over the years.

But I'm going on a search for more of Spyderco's CATCHERMAN models and I'm hoping they cave in and do some new ones.
I am with you. I would buy one as well. Just because it didn't sell well at one time, doesn't mean it should not be revisted, +consumer markets change constantly.