A copper spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CanaBrit

Re: A copper spyderco

Post by CanaBrit »

Copper isn't poisonous, they've been making water jugs out of it for centuries. Its actually rumored to have medicinal properties...
PStone

Post by PStone »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 am
I tried the flytanium copper. Although very attractive...
[IMG]
...it was ultimately way too heavy for my liking(around 8oz I think). So I put the stock scales back on and sold the copper ones.
Wow! That is just utterly beautiful! I want those scales! But, half a pound! My goodness lol. It sure does look amazing though.

Anyone who is lucky enough to use my PM2 in S110V, instantly comments on how light weight it feels. The 2nd thing mentioned is how scary sharp it is. Then I see that look, they wanna steal it; so I’ve gotta take it away abruptly lol.

But, I wonder if carbon fiber is lighter than G10?

Thank you tps! It was a beauty. But I agree with @cwp, in that it totally changed the carry experience. Was just plain too heavy. I should also mention that the copper does have a smell to it. That old pocket change smell. After using it, my hands would smell like old pennies.
ferider

Post by ferider »

CanaBrit wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm
Copper isn't poisonous, they've been making water jugs out of it for centuries. Its actually rumored to have medicinal properties...
I should correct, not Copper but Copper Oxide is poisonous. Google Verdigris or Gruenspan. Many poisons have medicinal properties, just depends on the quantities. And note that in these centuries, the life expectancy has multiplied by two. :)

Anyways, forget about the poison aspect. Still too heavy and soft for one of my knifes.

Roland.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

ferider wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:32 pm
CanaBrit wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm
I should correct, not Copper but Copper Oxide is poisonous. Google Verdigris or Gruenspan. Many poisons have medicinal properties, just depends on the quantities. And note that in these centuries, the life expectancy has multiplied by two. :)

Anyways, forget about the poison aspect. Still too heavy and soft for one of my knifes.

Roland.

Well it was beautiful enough people may love on the handle of it. The poisonous copper may kill or help them haha.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:16 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:53 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 am
I tried the flytanium copper. Although very attractive...
[IMG]
...it was ultimately way too heavy for my liking(around 8oz I think). So I put the stock scales back on and sold the copper ones.
Wow! That is just utterly beautiful! I want those scales! But, half a pound! My goodness lol. It sure does look amazing though.

Anyone who is lucky enough to use my PM2 in S110V, instantly comments on how light weight it feels. The 2nd thing mentioned is how scary sharp it is. Then I see that look, they wanna steal it; so I’ve gotta take it away abruptly lol.

But, I wonder if carbon fiber is lighter than G10?

Thank you tps! It was a beauty. But I agree with @cwp, in that it totally changed the carry experience. Was just plain too heavy. I should also mention that the copper does have a smell to it. That old pocket change smell. After using it, my hands would smell like old pennies.
Yea maybe as a 2nd PM2 it would be ok to carry occasional, I bet that heavy knife would really help cutting through cardboard an easier task.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Love the way copper looks, but the knife would be heavier than I like to carry.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Might as well tote a brick around. I don’t get this fad.
- best wishes, Jazz.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:33 pm
Might as well tote a brick around. I don’t get this fad.

How about a copper Manbug? That wouldn't be super heavy even with the copper handles.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:34 pm
Love the way copper looks, but the knife would be heavier than I like to carry.
Sums up my thoughts as well. 8oz para 2 or a pe pacific salt + se pacific salt and a pocket multitool. Hmmm....

It does look awesome though. So do Buck 110's.....but I haven't EDC'd one of those in nearly 20 years.
:unicorn
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Not dissin’ anyone who likes it. Just not for me. I love light.
- best wishes, Jazz.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I had the same setup as Dirt a while back and came exactly to the same conclusion - turning a normally light PM2 into a pocket brick was a no-go.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
yankee2

Post by yankee2 »

I am also a big copper fan. I have 3 Spyderco Paramilitary 2s with flat and lotus scales, in copper and brass, and 6 or 7 Para 3s as above, most with aftermarket copper or brass scales. I do of course also have at least a dozen other production or semi-custom copper knives of other brands. As a matter of fact, I am about to start refining my collection, selling off some (I have too many knives), but most of the coppers will stay.

BTW, the weight doesn’t both me. I am a 150 lb, 71 yo male, and even a Paramilitary 2, with full copper scales, which weighs about 8 OZ, goes almost completely unnoticed in my pocket. Oh, I might feel it, but I like feeling it, so I know it’s still there. I don’t feel like it’s weighing me down. There is no reason to complain about carrying 1/2 lb, IMHO, unless carrying a lot of other stuff, in which case you go as light as possible, but in most cases it hardly matters.
yankee2

Post by yankee2 »

ferider wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:18 pm
Never understood the attraction, Cu is (very) heavy, soft and poisonous.

Now, Cu anodized Titanium or Aluminum are very nice.

Roland.
Copper is beautiful, not too heavy for me (and I am not especially big), and it’s only poisonous if you eat it (and then not very). I LOVE the warm, orange color of copper, compared with and alongside all the silvery metals. I like metal in general, but the yellow/gold ones are my favorites.
yankee2

Post by yankee2 »

Bill1170 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 pm
Copper is pretty, no doubt about it. But it’s so heavy! I love pretty knives but I also prefer lightweight knives. It’s a tough call.
I’ve never had a copper handle knife that was too heavy for me, in fact I have never seen a knife that was too heavy to carry for an afternoon or even indefinitely. Of course a heavy one might eventually be too heavy, but weight is not something I consider much when I buy a knife. I do appreciate light weight, but don’t feel like a few ounces either way matters much. I’m more interested in other factors.

And I LOVE copper, brass, bronze, etc., the yellow/orange metals used for knives.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Interesting finding these old wish threads that years later led to granting of said wish.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i thought this was going to be a thread about the police.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ferider wrote:

Roland.
Is it poisonous to humans if they do not put it in their mouth?

There are certain metals that kill bacteria and are used for door handles. Copper may be one of those metals.... I do not know, just tossing this out there.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
petz462

Post by petz462 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:11 am
i thought this was going to be a thread about the police.
:rofl :rofl
Dave
USAF Retired
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ferider wrote:

Roland.
As long as you don't eat your copper knife scales or grind them into a dust and breath it in, copper toxicity is not something to be concerned about.
-Nick :bug-red
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:07 am
ferider wrote:

Roland.

Is it poisonous to humans if they do not put it in their mouth?

There are certain metals that kill bacteria and are used for door handles. Copper may be one of those metals.... I do not know, just tossing this out there.
Copper is indeed oligodynamic, much like silver, as are brass, bronze and any other of the common copper alloys to varying extent. Gold is as well. There are some other metals like tin and such which exhibit the same effect, but I don't know them offhand.
--Jeremy