The CATCHERMAN: The TIME HAS COME

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The CATCHERMAN: The TIME HAS COME

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I know there are some of you that do think I'm too much stuck on Spyderco's older models. Well look at it this way>> there was something special about those older models that actually put Spyderco on the map to begin with. They didn't get there with boring, needless, mundane models that look and work like everyone else's. No they got there with innovative, functional and super ergonomic models that took the commercial knife world by storm :cool: And they are still overtaking other sectors of the market.

The model here in question is our beloved CATCHERMAN. In my most humble opinion and I know there are a few of you and maybe many that agree with me that the CATCHERMAN is just way too good of a model to be mothballed any longer. First and foremost we need the return of the Full Spyderedged version and as far as I'm concerned they could make it in AUS-8 again if that would help. Because the full SE, AUS-8 was truly my all time favorite of all those great Catcherman models. Second the Catcherman should be available in at least 2 to 3 different blade steels>> amd there most certainly needs to be at least one variant in the Salt Series.

Also I think it would be super cool to have a "hunter's eddition" of the Catcherman>> because I can't even begin to tell you all how many times I've used one of my Catcherman models at our deer hunting camp or several other outdoor ventures I've taken it to >> not to mention how many times my good buddies borrowed it and I almost didn't get it back before they left to go home :rolleyes: Again The CATCHERMAN model has so many possibilities as to how it could be tweaked, modified and offered in different edge types as well as different blade steels to make it a "super selling model" again >> what say you all???? Also you can tell us which variant you all liked best>> yes and that means you LANDON :D ( xceptnl)
vivi

Re: The CATCHERMAN: The TIME HAS COME

Post by vivi »

I'd love to see it comes back, especially in full SE.

2mm thin blade, 4.5" blade, 2.5oz weight. Where else do you see stats like that on a pocket knife?
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

2mm thin blade, 4.5" blade, 2.5oz weight. Where else do you see stats like that on a pocket knife?
Vivi if you can ever get your hands on an older AUS-8 full Spyderedged version of the Catcherman I guarantee you will love it. Ask Landon (xceptnl) he became a believer really fast when he got his.

And it's interesting on that one thread you posted on that you made mention of the Catcherman being an ideal folder/pocketknife as well as the EDC aspects that probably few have ever considered >> that's what sparked me to put this thread up. Because there are truly a lot of possibilities for what you could do with that great Spyderco model. And like I said it is truly a great all purpose "fillet knife" but it's also got a hundred other uses as well IMO.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Full SE and may as well be H1. Don’t see a need to mess with that makeup.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 pm
Full SE and may as well be H1. Don’t see a need to mess with that makeup.
OH for sure I would want to see at least one variant in the Salt Series. I've even wondered at times how it would pan out if they made an SE & PE version in VG-10?
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

I would be in for any version, but I think I would prefer LC200N in PE.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Well done JD for thread starting. Obviously the few mentions by you, I and others has stirred interest.

FYI, I now have 2 Catchermans in Aus 8, Full SE version and the Combo version. I'll let you know how I go with them.

I let the USN Green H1 pass as I thought price too high for a user.

But still want one (or two) more. Especially in H1 with green or yellow handles.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD

Re 'Well I know there are some of you that do think I'm too much stuck on Spyderco's older models. Well look at it this way>> there was something special about those older models that actually put Spyderco on the map to begin with.'

Society as a whole.

Firstly, yes, CQI and adding good new things is good BUT people forget that the item still does what it was designed for - and often very well.
Just because it's been replaced, superceeded, does NOT make it obsolete. Be it an iPhone, a knife or even a Sextant and compass.

I like the older styles as well.

Re Catchermans,
One improvement would have to be H1 over some of the other steels - MBS, Aus8 but mainly rust resistance.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
sal

Post by sal »

We've done a few Catcherman sprints over the years as a result of requests from forum(s), and none have sold well.

sal
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Did the original catcherman sell well ?
Did the USN sell well ?

Do you think that so many cheap (er) Chinese knives around now it's a harder market to put a higher priced knife into ?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm
We've done a few Catcherman sprints over the years as a result of requests from forum(s), and none have sold well.

sal
I'm the happy owner of the MBS-26 FF one with CE so I'm good. Most users out there don't see the advantage of steel and design and with the loads of cheap (and actually pretty decent) filet knives out there it is a hard sell ;)
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

How's the MBS26 ? I passed on one a few weeks back, didn't know about the steel.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'm ready to buy.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

500Nitro wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm
How's the MBS26 ? I passed on one a few weeks back, didn't know about the steel.
Can you PM me if it's still available? I've been looking for a Catcherman in any steel / edge type for a while.....no luck.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:47 pm

sal
And we thank you very much for that Mr. Glesser. I've bought those last two and really enjoy using them. But why not another full Spyderedged model like I was saying in one post? And again I wouldn't even mind if you used the old AUS-8 because I've come to discover that AUS-8 does make a great SE steel.

It's been a while since that last one ( 2011 I think) and hopefully there will be more new folks wanting a couple of them. Because there has been more talk about them lately than there usually is. But you're the boss>> but I do encourage you to think at least about a full Spyderedged model because I would buy two of those. Been looking for an extra AUS-8 full SE for a long time. Because that Catcherman really does great in full SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
I would go MBS-26 if that would help make it happen. Why couldn't that steel be used for a full Spyderedged model?

Really the Catcherman in full Spyderedge is a dream knife in the kitchen as well as doing fish.
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Perhaps they'd sell better with rust/corrosion proof steel.

I'd buy 2 in SE with H1
and
3 in PE with LC200N, so I could gift one, and still retain a backup.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

BD1N on the PE would be my second choice, if that helps.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 pm
Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm

Vivi if you can ever get your hands on an older AUS-8 full Spyderedged version of the Catcherman I guarantee you will love it. Ask Landon (xceptnl) he became a believer really fast when he got his.

And it's interesting on that one thread you posted on that you made mention of the Catcherman being an ideal folder/pocketknife as well as the EDC aspects that probably few have ever considered >> that's what sparked me to put this thread up. Because there are truly a lot of possibilities for what you could do with that great Spyderco model. And like I said it is truly a great all purpose "fillet knife" but it's also got a hundred other uses as well IMO.
He speaks the truth. I am a believer. Currently the FFG MBS-26 version is #1 on my used Spydie radar. I love this knife and would be extremely excited to see a full Spyderedge version come back for 2019 in H1 or a FFG PE version in LC200N or even the aforementioned MBS-26. This knife would sell quickly I think. We needs some dealer to open a pre-order to fund an exclusive. I would wait patiently.... mostly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

500Nitro wrote:
Seems pretty corrosion resistant, edge holding is good, fast and easy to sharpen, the thin blade is flexible and slices very well. Afaik it is pretty close to VG-10 performance wise.