The CATCHERMAN: The TIME HAS COME

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: The CATCHERMAN: The TIME HAS COME

Post by 500Nitro »

NoFair wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 am
500Nitro wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:17 pm
How's the MBS26 ? I passed on one a few weeks back, didn't know about the steel.
Seems pretty corrosion resistant, edge holding is good, fast and easy to sharpen, the thin blade is flexible and slices very well. Afaik it is pretty close to VG-10 performance wise.
Thank you.

I won't pass one up in the future then.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

First of all thanks for your valuable testimony LANDON :) Now in regard to MBS-26>> it seems that Brother Nitro has concerns >> but I can assure all of you that MBS-26 is great blade steel for most culinary applications. I have 6 of the older Spyderco kitchen knives made with that steel and they do really good in SE. Don't quite hold a plain edge as good as VG-10 but that's really nothing to be ashamed of because VG-10 is better than many people think it is.

If they wanted to make 3 variants in MBS-26 to be more efficient I could live with it>> as long as we get at least one in full Spyderedge. But I was serious when I said that if they had any old AUS-8 bar stock laying around it would be just fine with me if they made a full Spyderedged Catcherman with it.

Taken what Mr. Glesser has said into consideration it does actually surprise me that the Nuclear Green USN version of the Catcherman was a slow seller :confused: But I do think that the landscape has changed and we got a lot of new kids on the block that will now want a CATCHERMAN>> I do think times have changed.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

This forum is amazing with the speed and quality of good answers. Thank you guys.

One of the reasons I didn't buy it is it's not fully serrated and I picked up a few days earlier an Aus8 Combo Catcherman so if
I am going to have multiple of them, now I have one combo I'd prefer to put the money to a USN one or another fully serrated version.

But at least I now know not to shy away from MBS-26
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am
This forum is amazing with the speed and quality of good answers. Thank you guys.

One of the reasons I didn't buy it is it's not fully serrated and I picked up a few days earlier an Aus8 Combo Catcherman so if
I am going to have multiple of them, now I have one combo I'd prefer to put the money to a USN one or another fully serrated version.

I do like AUS-8 for fully serrated/Spyderedged blades but for plain edges I actually do like the MBS-26 just a bit better. But by no means discard or sell your AUS-8 combo because it has some features that many users crave. First of all it has a significantly thicker blade. Second the AUS-8 does seem to be very corrosion resistant compared to several other stainless blade steels. Not to mention the collectible aspect of these older Spyders.

Even though I had a full SE AUS-8 Catcherman if I was offered a decent trade or sale price for a combo edge in an AUS-8 Catcherman I would be all over it. >> but with that said I still would like to see a new generation with a newer/better blade steel on the horizon.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:26 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am

I do like AUS-8 for fully serrated/Spyderedged blades but for plain edges I actually do like the MBS-26 just a bit better. But by no means discard or sell your AUS-8 combo because it has some features that many users crave. First of all it has a significantly thicker blade. Second the AUS-8 does seem to be very corrosion resistant compared to several other stainless blade steels. Not to mention the collectible aspect of these older Spyders.

Even though I had a full SE AUS-8 Catcherman if I was offered a decent trade or sale price for a combo edge in an AUS-8 Catcherman I would be all over it. >> but with that said I still would like to see a new generation with a newer/better blade steel on the horizon.
When I purchased my first Spyderco Endura 1 SE in Aus 8, it was on recommendation by one of my training officers
and specifically said get serrated for use with ropes. Now even though I was an outdoors type person I didn't know much
about knives or steels.

Considering how many times my Endura was in sea water over 10 years and at that stage I also had very salty sweat,
I am amazed how it has never rusted on me. I probably went through 2 sets of Army webbing because of rust in that time
yet the Aus8 knife just keeps on going.

I wonder what the properties of Aus 8 are that stop it from rusting.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I wonder if being revived as a Byrd model would make this project more economically feasible?
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:41 pm
I wonder if being revived as a Byrd model would make this project more economically feasible?
Absolutely NOT!!! BLASPHEMY!!! The Catcherman model is a true Blue SPYDER. Anything done to cheapen or compromise this masterpiece of a utility blade would truly be disrespectful IMO :D It was borne a Spyder and it will always be a true Spyder>> no cheap, compromised versions period!!!

No that just wouldn't do it justice. If anything I would like to see them ramp it up a notch or two.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As far as AUS-8 being resistant to corrosion all I can say is that it seems to have a decent Chromium content and of all the AUS-8 models I've had I've just noticed that it seems to resist oxidation and corrosion a bit better than a lot of them. No it's not on the level of H-1 but it's still pretty good in that regard.

Again in some ways I would kind of like to see a full Spyderedged Sprint Run in AUS-8>> it wouldn't bother me a bit to go to an older proven blade steel.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would love to have a new Catcherman in LC200N PE and SE both. I still have yet to pull the trigger on one, holding out for the future.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:38 pm
I would love to have a new Catcherman in LC200N PE and SE both. I still have yet to pull the trigger on one, holding out for the future.
If that would make it happen I'll go for that scenario all the way. Actually the thought of a Catcherman in LC200N in full SE is really sounding really good and I would be sure to get both the SE & PE in LC200N.

Now I was also serious when I said that I would love to try a Catcherman in SE & PE both with VG-10 blade steel as well.

It would also be cool to surprise us with a completely new blade steel in SE & PE. Whatever it takes to make it happen let's all try to get on the same page. It's way past time for another full Spyderedged Catcherman and they might as well make a few in PE too while they're at it :cool:
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

I think a catcherman in lc200n plain edge would be a great knife and is what the catcherman has been waiting for, a corrosion proof steel with good edge retention. Count me in ! An lc200n fillet knife is a definite must have, a folding frn spyderco would be the ultimate fishing knife.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Possible reason for low sales of previous catcherman models is the lack of a corrosion proof salt model. A knife designed for fishing that rusts just doesnt make sense to me. In australia the vast majority of fishing is in saltwater. A knife designed for fishing that corrodes, especially in a folder doesnt cut it for me. The previous model catcherman knives have been completely useless to me with the possible exception of the h1 model. However i missed the opportunity to buy one due to Australia's bizarre knife laws at the time. I believe the importation of a catcherman into australia isn't an issue anymore. Lc200n plain edge and ill buy three, any other steel and it would be pretty useless to me as i am always in salt water. Serrated h1 has good edge tetention however i prefer plain edge fillet knives. I think the time has come for the catcherman salt in lc200n a great seller im sure. Or maybe the new vanax superclean.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sailhand

I agree - but in saying that the market doesn't know that Aus-8 was so good at rust resistance or why.

I certainly didn't when I purchased my first Spydie and lucked it (see posts above).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sailhand wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:25 am
I think a catcherman in lc200n plain edge would be a great knife and is what the catcherman has been waiting for, a corrosion proof steel with good edge retention. Count me in ! An lc200n fillet knife is a definite must have, a folding frn spyderco would be the ultimate fishing knife.
I've owned and used both the AUS-8 Catcherman models as well as the MBS-26 Catcherman models and I've never had any corrosion problems with either blade steel>> even in salt water environments. Only one exception I had just a tiny bit of corrosion on a VG-10 Spyderco knife when I was snorkeling in the Florida Panhandle area ( Emerald Coast, Ft Walton Beach) but I had been in the water for two days off an on. But it was so minor that one swipe from a Scotch Brite pad knocked it right off.

Now don't get me wrong because I would most certainly welcome a full Spyderedged Catcherman model in any of the newer Nitrogen based steels. But on the other hand any of the true-stainless ( 12% Chromium or higher) I wouldn't worry about either. Now a tool steel that is a different issue all together>> but I bet if you rub down D-2 or M-4 with Sentry Solutions TUF CLOTH you wouldn't have a thing to worry about IMO.
sailhand

Post by sailhand »

Thanks JDspydo im sure youve had a great run with the catcherman. My particular situation however means i cannot spare fresh water to rinse knives. My salt knives get jammed into the sand in shallow salt water to clean off fish remains and put back in my pocket and are never rinsed in fresh water. I live on the ocean and fresh water is at a premium out here. My salt knives handle this abuse no problems and my two lc200n mules are fantastic. A similar salt based catcherman would be great for my use however not everyone abuses knives the way i do. My dragonfly salt is 7 years old and never been rinsed in fresh water. I wash my dishes in salt water, fresh water is for drinking and cooking. In the last three years i have spent two days in a marina, the rest of the time i am floating around the ocean. I have lived on my yacht for 14 years now. Check out this link to see how I abuse my gear.

https://youtu.be/SA6cDk2Imb0
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Thanks to Mr. Mott and his highly inappropriate picture, I have no choice but to bump this thread.

We need a new one, it's time and we have the perfect steel!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 am
Thanks to Mr. Mott and his highly inappropriate picture, I have no choice but to bump this thread.

What picture? And What perfect steel? I'm interested but I've got to know more.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 am

What picture? And What perfect steel? I'm interested but I've got to know more.
The picture he posted to the Throwback Thursday thread(on Saturday)

The steel that I spoke of prior to making my prior statement(LC200N)

Cmon man, strap on your detective cap, the answers were all there ;)

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Ha! Noticed this thread fist now. I am sorry for posting ..on the wrong day of the week. :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I’d like to see one with thicker blade stock? Kinda like Spyderco’s Emerson Persian
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”