REX 45 Military In Stock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: REX 45 Military In Stock!

Post by Tucson Tom »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 pm
I guess you’d have to keep them coated up in oil frequently. It seems like high maintenance. I’ve never really thought of this.
The answer here is (believe it or not): "it depends".

My Rex45 PM2 still looks like the day I bought it, as do my M4 and 52100 and all of my other such knives.

I don't go out of my way to oil them on a weekly schedule. In fact I don't actually do anything. Maybe I get a greasy finger now and then and rub some of it on one of these knives. I am way too lazy and undisciplined to be compulsive about maintaining fussy knives. Maybe if I had had some heartbreak experience with finding a beloved knife all rusted to utter ruin I might change my ways. Even one little orange pit might change my ways. So far though, all is well here in cactus city.

My knives are in a rotation of sorts, so it isn't like any one of these is seeing a lot of pocket time. Some people sweat more than I do, and/or have sweat with a really corrosive chemistry, or so they will have you believe.

What I am saying is to not let corrosion worries keep you away from a steel like Rex45. Unless you live in Mobile, Alabama. I know a guy from Mobile and he tells me the most humid day in Tucson is dryer than the driest day in Mobile. So it depends, but don't freak out.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I ended up getting the PM2 Rex45 from Canada...only place I could find one in stock. I hope to not have to go through that madness again.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

As much as I want to try out Rex 45... I get the feeling that the Bladehq M4 DLC exclusive is around the corner <.<
I guess you have to decide whether you want the sprint, or the exclusive.. how often do exclusives come back though?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

tps3443 wrote:
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:02 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:26 am
Timing couldn't be worse... Looks like I'm gonna have to pass.......

This sucks BIG time
Same here and I will not buy from them, overpriced shipping and no return policy will wait for a different seller and if not oh well not really interested in another rust prone steel anyway. 52100 ruined it for me.
Ya know, that’s a really good point.

I couldn’t agree more. I really wanted one of these. But, impatiently ended up buying a Military in S110V. I keep forgetting about having to deal with rusting if I owned one in REX45, it wouldn’t be sitting in a box all day either, it would see use everyday. After seeing that red G10 Para 3 from St.Nicks in 4V hiding rust under the pivot. It is a little uneasy for my ocd.

Anyways, kinda nice not worrying about rust. I’ve left my PM2 wet several times on the bathroom sink overnight. Apparently S110V is 2nd only to the salt series of Spyderco’s.

I guess you’d have to keep them coated up in oil frequently. It seems like high maintenance. I’ve never really thought of this.
S110V is a real super steel, the Niobium content is what deals with the rust, really well. This is one of the things that Makes S35VN so good in wet climates (The Niobium) as I recall Niobium is second only to Vanadium and is a much smaller carbide. I tend to think os S110V as S35Vn on steroids. Comparison below.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0

I have had fixed bladed knives made of Elmax actually rust in the kitchen after wiping them down, my Chris Reeve Nyala has never rusted or shown any signs of rust.

One thing I have to give to Chris Reeve is he tends to get S35VN right, I also had his chisel ground kitchen knife (Sikayo and was not impressed at all the blade on that chipped. Still never any rust.

My last 3 purchases however have been S90V and I am more and more impressed with this steel as time goes on.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 pm
tps3443 wrote:
The answer here is (believe it or not): "it depends".

My Rex45 PM2 still looks like the day I bought it, as do my M4 and 52100 and all of my other such knives.

I don't go out of my way to oil them on a weekly schedule. In fact I don't actually do anything. Maybe I get a greasy finger now and then and rub some of it on one of these knives. I am way too lazy and undisciplined to be compulsive about maintaining fussy knives. Maybe if I had had some heartbreak experience with finding a beloved knife all rusted to utter ruin I might change my ways. Even one little orange pit might change my ways. So far though, all is well here in cactus city.

My knives are in a rotation of sorts, so it isn't like any one of these is seeing a lot of pocket time. Some people sweat more than I do, and/or have sweat with a really corrosive chemistry, or so they will have you believe.

What I am saying is to not let corrosion worries keep you away from a steel like Rex45. Unless you live in Mobile, Alabama. I know a guy from Mobile and he tells me the most humid day in Tucson is dryer than the driest day in Mobile. So it depends, but don't freak out.
Here is Florida it matters big time, Alabama ain't got nuttin on us when it comes to Humid and Hot:)
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Plenty humid over here and i got no issues. People make too big of a deal out of it or totally neglect their tools. Unless you are in a salty environment i think tool steels are fine.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Rutger wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:21 am
Plenty humid over here and i got no issues. People make too big of a deal out of it or totally neglect their tools. Unless you are in a salty environment i think tool steels are fine.
I disagree there are so many things that a knife is used for that involve water that do not involve salt. If you don't mind your blade turning color ( Some love Patina) Then buy whatever you like, as for me it is just corrosion and unwelcome.

Some are worse than others 52100 is a steel that will rust if you look at it wrong, M4 I have had no issues with as long as it is wiped down but with folders this is a problem in the moving parts areas. It is for this reason and the easy staining I only purchased one knife in this steel (Military) and am not impressed with the way it stains. For this reason it is seldom used.

There are excellent steels that will not rust as easily and I wish more knives were made from them instead of knives being produced for what I consider the novelty of it.

I would love to see a military in LC200N. I own a military in CTS-XHP a wonderful steel that I wish was used far more often in Spyderco knives and would welcome this over corrosion prone tool steels. Every time I ever opened a Spyderco box with a silicone gel pack and a warning the knife is not stainless and needs special care I have immediate buyers remorse.

I use my knives for everything from in the kitchen to opening boxes and packages, cutting rope popping nylon tie wraps, they have to be able to hold up under all conditions or else I am not interested in paying a premium price just for the sake of what I consider a novelty steel.

Safe Queens are a different story but what good are they anyway?

Just my likes and dislikes but in no way do I agree too much is made over rusting steel especially for high priced knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I ordered mine from Bento.

I did so partly because of the surprising (unprecedented?) discount, and partly because the whereabouts of sprints has, it seems to me, become very unpredictable, what with lots of online sellers I’ve not heard of playing a bigger (and dissipating) role.

I was not about to lose out on a Rex45 Millie as its production run leaked away unseen!

Besides, Bento offers predictable service and rather nice exclusives (including the S90V Millie). The Rex45 Millie is my third Bento order. Never had a reason to return an order. I sense Bento has made sure the Spydies it offers don’t need returning.

For me, it’s about availability, then price. the much-maligned Bento did me a solid with a significant discount.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I see Bento dropped the price they were initially advertising. Well that is more reasonable. Glad you got one.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’m in North Carolina, it gets very humid down here. I’ve never owned a knife with a steel that is prone to rusting. I think a lot of people who do own tool steels think they don’t rust, until they take there knives apart. There is usually rust hidden around the pivot area and it’s like,

Surprise!
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Why do people see their knives as anything but tools?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
That's like asking why people collect anything - from coins to cars. It's what they like to do. Why does it matter to you?
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

Bodog wrote:
The same reason people dont see their parters as baby factories I guess
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Bodog wrote:
Because they are expensive tools. If it was cheap, we wouldn’t care about grind lines, scratched blades, blade steel, or mangled axe handles. We would just use it and throw it away when it stopped meeting our needs. But we spend more and expect a higher level of performance, fit and finish, and durability.
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

You should understand your own signature..
"They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 am
I own a military in CTS-XHP a wonderful steel that I wish was used far more often in Spyderco knives and would welcome this over corrosion prone tool steels.
[/quote]

I totally agree with you here. I love sharpening XHP. Get a scary sharp edge on my Chaparral. Very excited for the soon to be released CS exclusive Para 3's in XHP! Been Desiring this steel in a knife that can be used for harder cutting tasks, and boom...here it comes!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I live a kilometre from the coast and work at a Naval Base here on Sydney Harbour. It’s hot and humid for most of the year yet I never have corrosion issues.

One of the draw cards of Spyderco Knives (the models I like) is the fact I can disassemble them, clean up burrs etc. tune and lubricate them to my liking.

Any carbon steel blade, clad or not along with liners, stop pins etc. gets two coats of Eezox with particularly care around the pivot hole and tang. The pivot pin, pivot hole in blade and thrust washers are lubed very sparingly with Shimano Ace2 gear and drag grease.

I’m not too fussed about what I can see. It’s what I can’t see of a carbon steel blade that concerns me and I’ve found by doing a little preservation and tuning any folder before I even carry it saves me heartbreak and nasty surprises down the track. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm yet to own a Military, and this is the one that screams at me. I just fear due to the size that I won't carry it often. I've seen many posts that it shrinks over time, once you get used to it. Hate being on the fence, especially with one that will come and go in the blink of an eye!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Bodog wrote:
My knives are viewed as tools. But, there quality tools. I’ve dropped my PM2 Blurple on concrete a few times. It’s still a tool of beauty, and great function too!

The nicks and scratches in my Blurple G10 grips continue to add up, and honestly Improve the look to me.

But rust? I don’t think anything looks good rusted..
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm
I live a kilometre from the coast and work at a Naval Base here on Sydney Harbour. It’s hot and humid for most of the year yet I never have corrosion issues.

One of the draw cards of Spyderco Knives (the models I like) is the fact I can disassemble them, clean up burrs etc. tune and lubricate them to my liking.

Any carbon steel blade, clad or not along with liners, stop pins etc. gets two coats of Eezox with particularly care around the pivot hole and tang. The pivot pin, pivot hole in blade and thrust washers are lubed very sparingly with Shimano Ace2 gear and drag grease.

I’m not too fussed about what I can see. It’s what I can’t see of a carbon steel blade that concerns me and I’ve found by doing a little preservation and tuning any folder before I even carry it saves me heartbreak and nasty surprises down the track. ;)

^ this!
“My daily razor blade”