Hello Spyderco Forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JohnNYPD

Hello Spyderco Forum

Post by JohnNYPD »

Hello Spyderco Forum.
New Guy here.

Been Carrying Knives & Guns as tools
for a long time. Since 2007 I been a Spyderco guy and carrying a Black Delica 4 Saber Grind.
Don’t let anyone tell you the
Delica 4 with a sub 3 inch blade can’t handle the
job. Great tough knife in a small, compact light
package.
Since 2013 the Delica also shared pocket time with
a Manix 2 BD1 Translucent Blue Lightweight. Great when you need a little longer blade. I can’t believe a 2.9 ounce
knife could be this tough. Defiantly the lightweight
champion of the EDC knife world.
Just recently picked up a Tenacious a Cutlery Shoppe
exclusive orange/black blade Been carrying it off and on the last 2 Months.
Wicked Sharp. Just have to touch blade up
more often then VG10 or BD1. But it’s extremely easy
to touch up. Only Negative I have is that’s it’s made
in China. But I understand it was only $ 44.

Sal & Eric keep up the great work.

John
sal

Re: Hello Spyderco Forum

Post by sal »

Hi John,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx for your service. Thanx for kind words and support.

sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Welcome John!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Good to have you aboard John :) I'll be looking forward to see what a pro has to say about certain models. :spyder:
JohnNYPD

Post by JohnNYPD »

Thanks You for all the welcomes.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, bro. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

JohnNYPD wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:27 pm
Hello Spyderco Forum.
New Guy here.

Been Carrying Knives & Guns as tools
for a long time. Since 2007 I been a Spyderco guy and carrying a Black Delica 4 Saber Grind.
Don’t let anyone tell you the
Delica 4 with a sub 3 inch blade can’t handle the
job. Great tough knife in a small, compact light
package.
Since 2013 the Delica also shared pocket time with
a Manix 2 BD1 Translucent Blue Lightweight. Great when you need a little longer blade. I can’t believe a 2.9 ounce
knife could be this tough. Defiantly the lightweight
champion of the EDC knife world.
Just recently picked up a Tenacious a Cutlery Shoppe
exclusive orange/black blade Been carrying it off and on the last 2 Months.
Wicked Sharp. Just have to touch blade up
more often then VG10 or BD1. But it’s extremely easy
to touch up. Only Negative I have is that’s it’s made
in China. But I understand it was only $ 44.

Sal & Eric keep up the great work.

John
Hello
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JohnNYPD

Post by JohnNYPD »

Thank you for all the Welcomes.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Welcome John!

I agree completely about the FRN models. I frequently carry an Endura on duty as a Firefighter. Tough knife and slim and light to carry.
Thanks for doing the tough job you do!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 pm
Welcome John!

I agree completely about the FRN models. I frequently carry an Endura on duty as a Firefighter. Tough knife and slim and light to carry.
Thanks for doing the tough job you do!
Glad to have another firefighter aboard :) We had a guy a while back who was a Chicago firefighter who has the Forum name "Tonydahose" and I've wondered why we haven't heard from him for a while. I sure hope he comes back at some point because Tony was a great contributor. Because like I said I really always love to hear which models of Spyderco knives that the professionals like to use and why. Firefighting for instance sure has some demanding situations and I would think that more fixed blade Spyders in full SE would be helpful to your profession and to our new guy John's profession as well. Because some situations you all would encounter would call for fast, immediate results and I'm thinking that the JUMPMASTER Model would be one that both of your professions would love.

This could be a great way to get Spyderco to fulfill many of our wishes for more fixed blade, full Spyderedged models :cool:
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Hey JD,
Thanks for the welcome!
It's funny but being a knife Slu# one of my most difficult activities is choosing my carry knife at work.
Often I carry a modified BM 915 Triage (tip dropped from a sheep foot to be more pointy like a 940 rever see tanto)
N680 is a very tough corrosion resistant steel that rolls rather than chipping with incidental steel contact which happens often when used during extrications.
Not being allowed to carry a firearm while on duty I often gravitate to longer blades for their martial capabilities thus Endura, Mille, or Police variants are a frequent companion.
Have to keep in mind that, like the OP LEO, firefighters often find themselves in situations that are abusive to cutlery and prying and tough cutting tasks are common.
I've also been playing with a Pacific Salt for duty carry as well ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 am
Hey JD,
Thanks for the welcome!
It's funny but being a knife Slu# one of my most difficult activities is choosing my carry knife at work.
Often I carry a modified BM 915 Triage (tip dropped from a sheep foot to be more pointy like a 940 rever see tanto)
N680 is a very tough corrosion resistant steel that rolls rather than chipping with incidental steel contact which happens often when used during extrications.
Not being allowed to carry a firearm while on duty I often gravitate to longer blades for their martial capabilities thus Endura, Mille, or Police variants are a frequent companion.
Have to keep in mind that, like the OP LEO, firefighters often find themselves in situations that are abusive to cutlery and prying and tough cutting tasks are common.
Just from what I'm gathering it sounds like the Spyderco JUMPMASTER model would be right up your alley. Take a look at it and let us know what you think. I personally find Spyderco's serrated fixed blades to be a premium cutting machine. And the Spyderedged blades I use a lot myself in my daily chores and I'm to the point to where I don't want to be without a Spyderedge or plain edged blade either one.

But that Spyderco JUMPMASTER is truly a beast of a fixed blade knife and it does sound like something that you would love to use.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Welcome, going to have to agree with you on the LW Manix 2 as being pretty amazing. I own several varients of the Manix 2 and just recently picked up a LW used online for a deal I couldn't pass up. I'm impressed so much it hasn't left my pocket since.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

welcome to the forum!
I have to agree, that Manix LW is a surprisingly good knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 am
welcome to the forum!
I have to agree, that Manix LW is a surprisingly good knife.
Agreed! I have a brown CTS-XHP LW Manix that is often in my pocket while hiking or backpacking.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:36 am
Cycletroll wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:31 am
Hey JD,
Thanks for the welcome!
Just from what I'm gathering it sounds like the Spyderco JUMPMASTER model would be right up your alley. Take a look at it and let us know what you think. I personally find Spyderco's serrated fixed blades to be a premium cutting machine. And the Spyderedged blades I use a lot myself in my daily chores and I'm to the point to where I don't want to be without a Spyderedge or plain edged blade either one.

But that Spyderco JUMPMASTER is truly a beast of a fixed blade knife and it does sound like something that you would love to use.
JD,

Im a Big fixed blade fan but unlike our LEO friend John my social profile while on duty doesn't include the expectation of carrying a "weapon" which is how a fixed blade would be viewed in my very sheeple dominated service area :(
Due to public opinion constraints as well as the logistic problems of dealing with a fixed sheath interference with donning turnouts i prefer a lighter, slimmer and more discreet folder.
Maybe John could pipe in as to how knives are viewed by the public with respect to LEO'S and if knife style presents any particular tactical considerations for him?
Last edited by Cycletroll on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Welcome aboard!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049