Do most of us need larger knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
500Nitro

Re: Do most of us need larger knives?

Post by 500Nitro »

JohnNYPD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:48 pm
Beware of the guy that only has one Spyderco. For that
Man knows how to use it.
That's very true. Same as guns.
It's all down to muscle memory.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

What size knife do I need?

I need the knife best suited for the job - in any situation.

Generally, I can carry knives that cover a wide variety of potential jobs. Usually, I carry something smaller and something larger.

Sure, the smaller blade would eventually cut through whatever I needed it to, but the advantage of a large blade is in the quality of the cuts made.

Here's an example:

Think about cutting across a piece of paper with children's scissors. Now imagine that you're using a paper cutter. That long sweeping blade produces a smoother, more consistent application of force across the material, and yields a better, easier, faster cut.

I could cut all my paper with children's scissors, but I'd rather not make 23 cuts when one will do.

Similarly, a 3.5 inch blade with a similarly large handle can provide the leverage and length to accomplish in 1 pass what a smaller knife would take multiple attempts to complete.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am
… I'd rather not …
That’s the answer. One doesn’t actually need a large knife but would rather have it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 am
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am
… I'd rather not …
That’s the answer. One doesn’t actually need a large knife but would rather have it.
Well, I don't actually need anything besides a knapped flint or shard of broken glass. I can even make do with a coin rubbed on concrete.

To me, those would represent the low end of a scale that starts at 'will work in a severe pinch' to 'well-suited to doing this task all day'.

Length seems to be an arbitrary place to draw the line of need vs want. I'm pretty curious as to why it was chosen.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I chose it as one of the defining characteristics of a knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

Whether I need a larger knife or not is largely irrelevant. Women's jeans pockets are simply too shallow for any folding knive that carries deeper than about 10 centimeters (4 inches ?)...
Hälsningar,

Sigrid
vivi

Post by vivi »

BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 pm
Whether I need a larger knife or not is largely irrelevant. Women's jeans pockets are simply too shallow for any folding knive that carries deeper than about 10 centimeters (4 inches ?)...
Tried IWB?
:unicorn
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:04 pm
I chose it as one of the defining characteristics of a knife.
That's entirely fair.

I think the main issue here is the post title versus the bounds of discussion. "most of us" seems to speak to the majority of users here, but upon further reading:
speaking of those who carry a knife in order to cut the occasional thing during the day (not kitchen duties), how many of us really need a “larger” knife, anything over 3”? I am also excepting those whose job requires frequent cutting of heavier or tougher materials. I’m focused on most of us who don’t spend considerable time in the woods or on a fishing boat but in the office, at home, etc.
Of course, as responses trickle in, some may read the conversation before contributing and some may not. The title seems to include a larger population, and some may chime in by saying they use larger blades for exactly the use cases that were excluded in your post...

Perhaps a better thread title might be "For cutting threads and opening packages, do we really need larger knives?"

However, in my example, I tried to illustrate a use case that's eminently possible in an office or home setting - paper cutting. Not a heavy task, not an uncommon task. So, going back to need - If I absolutely require a long straight slicing cut, blade length is 100% a NEED.
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Tried IWB?
Yes. I experimented a bit. It turned out to be very uncomfortable when combined with any of my more or less "regular fit" (i.e. not loose fitting) pairs of jeans.

Furthermore, I use my folding knives for EDC purposes. I guess "some" people would frown a bit if I would grab inside my waistband a few or more times a day...
Hälsningar,

Sigrid
JohnNYPD

Post by JohnNYPD »

Crux wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:56 pm
JohnNYPD wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:48 pm
Beware of the guy that only has one Spyderco. For that
Man knows how to use it.
And the man with 100 Spydercos doesn't. I carry a minimum of five knives and while I carry on in my day I have at least three out doing something with. It's such a habit that after 3 beers I have to wear cut proof gloves. Some are thrown, some are subjected to brutal torture and some are treated like newborn babies.

10 years ago I coined the phrase that I have more sharp blades than I could find things to cut.

Maybe I can do a TV show where I use my knives to totally dismantle a warehouse or large building. The downside would obviously havick to my beloved knives. For that I would forever weep. :(
I could never carry 5 knives. My EDC when I’m on
my own time is 1-Knife 1-Handgun 1-Magazine & my
iPhone. I use my cell phone & my Spyderco the most.
I love my Spyderco but life has taught me that if your
ever in a life threating situation never bring a knife to
a gun fight......if you have that option.

Knife I been carrying lately is a Tenacious. Orange w/ black blade. In the past I have carried a Delica 4 &
Manix2 lightweight translucent blue. I have also found
that ounces really do matter when you are EDC 16 hours
a day. Anyone else feel that way about weight?

Firearm is a S&W Shield w/9mm Speer Gold Dots 124gr +P
Crux

Post by Crux »

I always carry my SA XDS 3.3 (9mm, Crimson Trace, custom trigger) as well. If I have to fly, I change all my clothes just make sure there isn't a Spyderco Bug hidden somewhere. My pants have 11 pockets as does my vest. I lost my Costco card 3 minutes after I renewed it and made a fool of myself as I searched my pockets to find it at the cashier. I actually carry a ZT knife that is heavier than I like but it balances the load. I know, it makes no sense, but after 50 years of being a knife guy I hate to leave any of them at home.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Crux wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 pm
I always carry my SA XDS 3.3 (9mm, Crimson Trace, custom trigger) as well. If I have to fly, I change all my clothes just make sure there isn't a Spyderco Bug hidden somewhere. My pants have 11 pockets as does my vest. I lost my Costco card 3 minutes after I renewed it and made a fool of myself as I searched my pockets to find it at the cashier. I actually carry a ZT knife that is heavier than I like but it balances the load. I know, it makes no sense, but after 50 years of being a knife guy I hate to leave any of them at home.
Just reading this made my day nicely. I'm not laughing at you, just seeing myself in your situation. I particularly enjoy what you say about the ZT knife "balancing the load". Those things are noticeably heavy.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 am
What model is the second from the left? I've been seeing photos of it around the forums and haven't yet managed to catch its name.

BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Vivi wrote:
BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Tried IWB?
Yes. I experimented a bit. It turned out to be very uncomfortable when combined with any of my more or less "regular fit" (i.e. not loose fitting) pairs of jeans.

Furthermore, I use my folding knives for EDC purposes. I guess "some" people would frown a bit if I would grab inside my waistband a few or more times a day...
Haha this is my dilemma exactly when deciding how to carry my knives. Pants pocket? Jabs into my leg and tends to twist sideways and make a weird lump. IWB? Comfortable, but do I really want to be reaching into my pants in public? Sock? Awkward to get at sometimes. Jacket pocket? I don't have my jacket on all the time and also the pockets on my current one don't zip closed.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Interesting. When I go out I carry one Ruger EC9S, one spare magazine, one Spyderco, usually a Lil’ Lum, or Lil’ Native, a Fenix AAA flashlight and my iPhone.

Team Innovation
cwp

Post by cwp »

In all honesty, I use my EDC flashlight far more often than my knife. Considering how tiny, bright, light, and cheap AAA lights have gotten, having one on me just seems like a no-brainer.
vivi

Post by vivi »

embry386 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:43 am
Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 am
What model is the second from the left? I've been seeing photos of it around the forums and haven't yet managed to catch its name.

BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Vivi wrote:
BigBadSheWolf wrote:
Tried IWB?

Haha this is my dilemma exactly when deciding how to carry my knives. Pants pocket? Jabs into my leg and tends to twist sideways and make a weird lump. IWB? Comfortable, but do I really want to be reaching into my pants in public? Sock? Awkward to get at sometimes. Jacket pocket? I don't have my jacket on all the time and also the pockets on my current one don't zip closed.
5" tanto Gunsite. While tantos aren't my favorite blade shape, the overall package is pretty amazing. 5" blade, backlock, and weighs the same as my Manix XL despite having a lot more cutting edge (A little over 5oz). I really want a Spyderco with similar dimensions & weight, but with an opening hole, Sal's ergonomic style and a more traditional blade shape.

I'm surprised so many people are hesitant to carry something IWB. It's never been an issue for me. It's my default carry method in the summer, when I'm often wearing running shorts to try to keep cool. It's not like you have to put your whole hand down the crotch of your pants to retrieve it. I clip a Pacific Salt somewhere between 3 o clock and 4 o clock and slip my thumb down and pull it out. IWB carry is one reason I don't like deep carry clips, because they work poorly there.

I buy pants and shorts with side pockets like these carhartts here and usually clip my folders there. Flashlight (Fenix UC35) goes in the left side pocket. Fixed blade somewhere on my belt. Multitool in a pocket. That's part of why I laugh at the "I need deep carry clips so people don't know I have a knife" crowd. My Police 4 is as visible as it can be and no one cares.
:unicorn
Lee48

Post by Lee48 »

I used to think I needed a large knife. Sometimes I did need one but it was seldom. Today, I usually carry two knives--a clipless Dragonfly and something larger. That "larger" knife is usually in the 3" blade or less range. Heavy use for my knives are cutting up 2-3 cardboard boxes. I think I can handle it with what I'm carrying.

Knives are not my choice for self defense. I have a concealed carry permit. I used to carry a SIG P220 (.45 Auto) but even this has changed to something smaller over time. Today it's a little S&W 642 (.38 Special).
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I kinda like when people see my knife. They always ask about it and/or admire it. In the past three years only one person said anything negative about me having a pocket knife. And his (my co-worker's) comment was more concern-- he was afraid camous police considered a knife a weapon. I checked policy and it doesn't consider knives weapons.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

I am not a fan of larger knives. Typically, i carry a compact knife with me most probably a pocket knife as an everyday carry.