Models That Absolutely DESERVE Sprint Runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Models That Absolutely DESERVE Sprint Runs

Post by JD Spydo »

Tedy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm
ROOKIE
At the risk of being redundant I'll say it again. The ROOKIE model with one of the supersteel blades and a G-10 or Micarta handle would sell out in less than a week>> I'm totally sure of it. I believe it could even end up back in the main line up when they see how great of a cult following the ROOKIE model has.

For Spyders out of that era you can also add the C-54 Calypso, G-10 Police, The Micarta Caly Jr. The Wegner models, The original Dyad models, The Pegusus, the G-10 Harpy, The first run Merlin along with the Howard Viele model>> A very fine era it was. One I'll never forget.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'd give my left leg to have a Sprint of the C50 Centofante II. I once had two, but I gave one to my cousin as a graduation gift. Sal said the tooling is long gone, so a Sprint is not likely. Still, I guy can dream, right?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:49 pm
I'd give my left leg to have a Sprint of the C50 Centofante II. I once had two, but I gave one to my cousin as a graduation gift. Sal said the tooling is long gone, so a Sprint is not likely. Still, I guy can dream, right?
Yeah that one really breaks my heart as well. It was so close to the old Benchmade Boguszewski Spike model which is one of my all time most favorite designs ever. I would be open to a new design somewhat close to what the C-50 and Boguszewski Spike model was like. Both models were extremely versatile and were ideal EDC folders.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Tuff: CPM 4V
Military: K390 fully serrated
Moran: LC200N, G10 handle
Street Bowie: CTS 204P, black Micarta handle
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kels73 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:45 pm
Tuff: CPM 4V
Military: K390 fully serrated
Moran: LC200N, G10 handle
Street Bowie: CTS 204P, black Micarta handle
The only one I would take issue with would be your pick of the K390 Military in SE :confused: . I would go for a C-36 Military model with K390 in a plain edged blade but I would want to see a Spyderedged blade with XHP instead. Because XHP has been proven to be a great steel for Spyderedges. I haven't heard anything about whether or not K390 would make a good steel for Spyderedges.

All the other selections I'll give you a high five for>> they are interesting and intriguing to say the least.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:07 pm
The only one I would take issue with would be your pick of the K390 Military in SE...I haven't heard anything about whether or not K390 would make a good steel for Spyderedges.
I'm very pleased with K390, and I'm curious to know how it would perform in a SpyderEdge configuration. I have a feeling it would do well, but you make a good point. Spyderco would need to test that theory before releasing a sprint in K390 SE.

Now you have me curious. Has Spyderco ever done a non-stainless steel in SpyderEdge?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:59 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:07 pm
The only one I would take issue with would be your pick of the K390 Military in SE...I haven't heard anything about whether or not K390 would make a good steel for Spyderedges.
I'm very pleased with K390, and I'm curious to know how it would perform in a SpyderEdge configuration. I have a feeling it would do well, but you make a good point. Spyderco would need to test that theory before releasing a sprint in K390 SE.

Now you have me curious. Has Spyderco ever done a non-stainless steel in SpyderEdge?
Well you've got me curious as well. I do know for a fact that XHP is a good blade steel for serrated edges. But I've not yet used a plain edge much less a Spyderedge in K390 which is why I'm bucking for a serrated blade with XHP. But what the heck I never expected 440V to be as good on Spyderedges as it is either. Well if we can get them to make a Sprint Run C-36 Military model with K390 in SE & PE both I'll be the last one to protest it.

I'm also now wondering how M390 might perform in SE. It is the blade steel of my main EDC in plain edge but I've never used that one in SE either. I'm always up for trying something new.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'd love to see the leaf storm return. I always wanted one before it was discoed. I know it wasn't the most popular model, but it's such a nice size and felt great in the hand the one time I got to handle one in a store. Maybe put it out with dark green g10 and xhp? Id buy that in a heartbeat.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

There are few others that I think would be nice to have available.

JD Smith - K390 or 52100 would be great, but solid HAP40 would be alright as well. Denim micarta scales to finish it off.

Breeden Captain - Not overly picky about the blade steel or G10 color, but I would like to see it with an SE recurve edge
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PanChango wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:37 pm
There are few others that I think would be nice to have available.

JD Smith - K390 or 52100 would be great, but solid HAP40 would be alright as well. Denim micarta scales to finish it off.

Breeden Captain - Not overly picky about the blade steel or G10 color, but I would like to see it with an SE recurve edge
I've been literally screaming for a C-111 Breeden CAPTAIN model in Spyderedge on the inner arch part of the blade for the past 5 years now and one day it's going to get attention because more and more people are starting to see what I'm seeing as far as the potential of that model in SE.

The JD SMITH has remained in my JD's TOP 10 list for many years now and I hope we never see the extinction of the JD Smith because it is a "super-classic" in my humble opinion. It is a mega-beast in SE>> I was surprised when I got my first one in SE. I've also heard that the Howard Viele model in SE was a real super cutter too. There is just something special about those Spyders out of what I affectionately call "The GOLDEN ERA of SPYDERS ( 1998-2003).
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Resilience! But, I know China and steels are a tricky subject
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy a full SE Resilience.

Mostly though I'd just like to see a SE Ulize and/or SE Ayoob.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:41 pm
I'd buy a full SE Resilience.

Mostly though I'd just like to see a SE Ulize and/or SE Ayoob.
Those last two especially. They should be getting some serious attention by now I hope. We deserve at least one Recurve model in full SE>> and the Ayoob needs to return in both SE & PE most definitely :cool:
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

One from the ethnic series I'd love to see return - the Khukhri. That is such a beautiful knife! I can pick one up on eBay for a pretty penny but it would be amazing for it to make a comeback in XHP.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Given the sad news of Wayne Goddard’s passing, how about a medium Goddard in PE? Handle material doesn’t matter. Nothing crazy expensive though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Given the sad news of Wayne Goddard’s passing, how about a medium Goddard in PE? Handle material doesn’t matter. Nothing crazy expensive though.
LIke I said on the Wayne Goddard passing thread I really liked that one Gray Wayne Goddard model. That would be a great one to do a memorial Sprint Run of IMO. I heard a couple of years ago that there was one of the Spyderco Goddard models that they did in full SE that was considered very rare and collectible>> if that's correct I bet that model has already gone up in price.

Not sure when the first of the Goddard models were introduced but I do think it was around in the mid 90s>> please correct me if I'm wrong>> again my prayers go out to Mr. Goddard's family.>> RIP
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

JD and everyone: Here is one that does deserve a Sprint run: The Spyderco Assist 2 FRN: This is the one with the Wharncliffe Modified Blade. I do not see why the current model Assist, as good as it is, is an improvement over this one which had a definite more general purpose blade as well as having the Assist Rescue features.

Here is a picture of it:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=64
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm
Tuff, Cruwear.
I second this!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 pm
JD and everyone: Here is one that does deserve a Sprint run: The Spyderco Assist 2 FRN: This is the one with the Wharncliffe Modified Blade. I do not see why the current model Assist, as good as it is, is an improvement over this one which had a definite more general purpose blade as well as having the Assist Rescue features.

Here is a picture of it:

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=64
I had one of the ASSIST models up till 3 months ago. We had it in a church vehicle where I was volunteering and someone ripped it off. It had the whistle and the glassbreaker. I think the ASSIST is one of the very last models to stil have the Cobra Hood. I liked the Cobra Hood in that model and I also liked it in the original Titanium ATR model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been looking hard at all your suggestions and many of them I really like. But I'm actually dumbfounded that none of you mentioned the Meerkat model :confused: . Because it hasn't been that long ago that the Meerkat was one of the most highly sought after old models. But in the past 6 months you hardly hear any mention of it.

Also there is little mention of the Jess Horn models but when they do come up for sale they usually get high bids. I really liked the Jess Horn Burgundy ZDP-189 model I had.