Is the Military too big or big enough?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Is the Military too big or big enough?

Post by Tucson Tom »

After reading all you say about how the PM2 fits in your hand -- I just have to say you should find some over the counter place selling knives in your area and try a few. Easier said than done maybe. And then there is the question of what Spyderco models your local shop might carry. I saw pictures of the Manix and mostly thought, "that looks weird". Then I got one in hand and it became my knife of choice (almost). Some people are really focused on how a knife looks -- for me it is all about how it feels in hand (less so in pocket) and how it works in use. But that heads off into another discussion.

The main thing is that all this is impossible to predict looking at pictures online or talking about it on the internet. You won't know until you get that knife in your hand.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Dornbox wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 am
Many a good points and plenty of enabling... I mean support! I guess I’m not being very clear though. I dont feel like the Para 2 is too big in terms of size as a knife but the handle feels odd in a big way in my hand. The shape just doesn’t align with where I want to hold the knife I guess. With the para 3 it lays perfectly across my hand when my thumb and index are choked up on the choil. It may be short but it feels right. With the Para 2 when I’m choked up the butt end falls oddly in my palm and holding it closer to the back just doesn’t feel balanced at all. I know I prefer smaller knives for my EDC but I would like something for larger chores on the weekends, camping, hunting, etc. It’s sounding like I’m just going to have to add 2 more Orange G-10 knives to my collection in the coming days.🤗 Then there’s that jade one.... Anyone need a slightly used kidney? 😜
Sounds like you may like it after all. The handle is much more ergonomic than the Para 2.

If you live near a Cabelas they carry the Military. They'll price match walmart too, so you can get one in person for the same price as knifecenter etc.
:unicorn
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

Sounds like you may like it after all. The handle is much more ergonomic than the Para 2.

If you live near a Cabelas they carry the Military. They'll price match walmart too, so you can get one in person for the same price as knifecenter etc.
[/quote]

Hmmm. We do have a Cabela's here. I've never seen the Military there though... Although my addiction to Spyderco is fairly new. Might have to go on a "grocery" run this weekend. :D Thanks!
Too many Military family variants... and yet not enough.
:spyder:
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

ZMW wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am
I will go against the grain. The Millie is too big for normal EDC. There, I said it! (for desk jockey's like myself)

While it is my favorite knife, and it feels great in hand, the Military is too big to EDC for a normal desk job. Key word - EDC and Desk Job. If the PM2 was too big, the Millie will be way too big. For weekends, outdoors, hiking, anything other then sitting on your butt - go for a Millie.

If you like the Native and PM3, stay mid sized or small if you want an EDC. If you want a fun knife that is a beast, get a Military
This is a really personal decision, all about your own preference. ZMW says the Millie is too big for EDC, I EDC a Police4 which is 0.5 inch longer! Best bet is to handle one and see what you think. The P4 doesn't feel large at all after a couple of weeks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I EDC'd my Police 3 at my last office job. Perfect size for halving apples at lunch. :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:14 am
After reading all you say about how the PM2 fits in your hand -- I just have to say you should find some over the counter place selling knives in your area and try a few. Easier said than done maybe. And then there is the question of what Spyderco models your local shop might carry. I saw pictures of the Manix and mostly thought, "that looks weird". Then I got one in hand and it became my knife of choice (almost). Some people are really focused on how a knife looks -- for me it is all about how it feels in hand (less so in pocket) and how it works in use. But that heads off into another discussion.

The main thing is that all this is impossible to predict looking at pictures online or talking about it on the internet. You won't know until you get that knife in your hand.
This is the best advice. The only way to know is to handle a knife. Images do not translate into feel.

However, it is legitimate to have and like a knife for other reasons than how well it fits in hand and uses you may have for it. Sometimes they are just exemplars, objects of art and design. One doesn’t buy a painting because it fits on a wall or will perform some task.

“Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.” Wild Bill Hickok
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Way back around 2003 when I got my first C-36 Military model ( 440V unit) I did think at that time it was just a tad too big for every day uses. But around 2006 or thereabout I did carry one throughout an entire deer gun season here in Missouri and once I got to use to the size my desires have completely changed. Close to 3 years ago I snagged the love of my knife life when I got my M390 Military model. It's pretty much been my main EDC for quite a while now and unless I find something with a newer/better blade steel I won't be retiring it anytime soon from EDC duties I can assure you.

Now my mindset has turned completely the other way around. Now I really don't find a lot of uses for smaller blades. A Para2 is about as small as I will go anymore. I've been really blessed because here in Missouri we have a 4 inch blade limit for pocket knives. And during hunting/fishing seasons I've carried all kinds of fixed blades and I've never had anyone say anything about it so far.

Unless they come out with some super Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob model which is about my favorite design I'll probably have some variant of the C-36 Military model for every day carry for some time to come.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Military is big enough and works absolutely well for EDC, it only needs fitting trouserpockets ... ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dornbox,

Welcome to our forum.

I think one of the things prevalent on this forum is that not everyone likes or wants the same thins. That's why we make s many different models.

sal
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm
Hi Dornbox,

Welcome to our forum.

I think one of the things prevalent on this forum is that not everyone likes or wants the same thins. That's why we make s many different models.

sal

Thanks Sal! I hear that. Every time I look I find a new model I have to own!
ferider

Post by ferider »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:14 am
I saw pictures of the Manix and mostly thought, "that looks weird". Then I got one in hand and it became my knife of choice (almost). Some people are really focused on how a knife looks -- for me it is all about how it feels in hand (less so in pocket) and how it works in use.
Same here. The Manix is also love on second sight for me.

To the OP: the Military is great, I have several. Obviously, a 4" blade is harder to use than a shorter one for certain tasks like coring a half apple. Then again, hard to cut a melon with a PM3. In other words, I suggest to think about the application, not about the knife as an abstract object.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Coming from a seemingly “large” PM2, it took me a few months to get used to the size of the Military...

Now it seems like the perfect size for a work knife... I have 5, more than any other model!

As an office EDC in my state...? Nope. Even a Vic Classic is illegal.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The Spyderco Military is plenty big enough. Beautiful size, design, and ergonomics.

If a smaller :spyder: with a blade that's on par with the Military is needed then the Spyderco Para Military 2 would nicely fit the bill.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:22 am
Wow really? That's crazy. Is that a company rule or a law where you live?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most places I've worked had very strict no weapons laws and I have no doubt they would have considered a Vic Classic as a weapon. A lot of companies just don't wanna deal with the liability if another employee files a complaint. At a couple jobs it even got to the point where the common "tap knife" utility razor knife was outlawed in favor of "safety knives" with self retracting blades and finger guards. Those same companies also sold 10 inch kitchen knives so if someone really went off the rails it wouldn't have mattered if they had a pocket knife or not.

I also worked for a company that had a supervisor fire a guy mid shift, he left for a bit then came back and went back to sporting goods and got an aluminum bat and nearly beat the guy to death with it. We don't ban kitchen knives or bats but by God we can't have anyone carrying a 1 inch folding knife. I wonder if these people making up these rules have any idea how deadly an ink pen is? You can take someone out with a Bic pen if you're determined enough.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've worked at many places with "no weapons" policies, but none of them considered a pocket knife a weapon. Even a big one. Guess I've been lucky!

I remember the last job I took that had one. When I was new I brought my Spin carried clipless in my pocket. That first week I saw a Kabar Warthog and Benchmade 710 carried by two of my co-workers, so I started carrying my Police the second week and never had any issues.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:22 am
Wow really? That's crazy. Is that a company rule or a law where you live?
State law. It’s illegal to carry any knife in public without “good reason”. EDC or “cutting your apple” is not a good reason.

I should quit IT and become a tradesman...

At home you can carry whatever you want of course.

To the OP: If you are curious about the Military, I suggest you give it a shot, and some time to acclimatize. Don’t just carry it for a week of light EDC. Give it a proper go before you make a judgement, like during a house move where you typically cut tonnes of boxes and bubble wrap. You will not look back.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My first Military was bought lightly used on a whim after years of saying it was too big and the handle was ridiculously oversized but I got curious about the constant praise so I gave it a shot. I figured I got it cheap so I'll use it in the yard and if I break it then oh well. After cutting up a bunch of 1 inch+ branches it all started making sense and it never flinched at how I used it so I started carrying it. I ended up selling that one off only to later buy a SE Military and after carrying it a couple times I realized there was no turning back. I think I have 5 now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

Hi i'm new here and new to Spyderco. I just wanted to chime in.

I've gone on a huge binge and bought a PM2, PM3, and two Military's (Blurple S110V, and S90v Carbon fiber titanium) in the past few weeks.

The PM2: This is the knife got me into loving Spyderco. When I first held it I just never felt like something had fit me so perfectly. For me this knife is all pro's and no con's.

The PM3: I went to the store to buy a Endura, but they had their last PM3 on sale and I was able to buy it for only a few dollars more. At first didn't like the smaller size. But it has turned into my most carried knife for two main reasons. 1) The size is more similar to the knife brands that I used to carry such as a CRKT M-21, so in the pocket it feels familiar. 2) I feel like I can use it at work without intimidating or scaring the heck out of all the office ladies I work with lol. The Pm2 would be taking a chance and the military would differently not be office approved lol

Blurple Military: I bought this used and I got a extremely good deal on it. Normally this isn't a knife i'd consider buying because of the size, but it has really grown on me. I feel like if I was hiking and I was suddenly attacked by a Bear (I know pretty ridiculous) that this is the knife I would want in my pocket. I plan on using it camping among other things. I actually like this knife really a lot.

The other carbon/titanium military I only purchased today and is not quite in my possession yet. But out of my small collection of knives it will be my first frame lock and i'm really excited to get it!

TL;DR...

I think the PM2 is just right, not too big, not too small. But all spyderco's are awesome so why not have more then one?
Dornbox

Post by Dornbox »

cbrstar I feel your addiction!

To all I’ve been spending a little more time with my PM2 . It was never about the size of the knife really but more about the size of the handle. After spending some time switching between the PM3 and PM2 I found what was throwing me off. With the 3 I find I choke up on the choil completely and I like the feeling. With the the 2 when I choke up on the choil with both my thumb and index I find it creates an odd feeling gap between my index and middle fingers. By changing the way I hold the 2 my grip feels different but not odd. I’ve also found that the larger blade is also growing on me. You know Incase a bear attacks me while I’m sitting in the office ;). I also spent some time defending myself against the cardboard zombies and have learned to appreciate the larger blade. Now I just need the burnt orange Rex 45 Millie to drop so I can add one to my family! Thanks all!