What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mini2white

Re: What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Post by Mini2white »

No hole in the blade. Handle material that will last the test of time (no rubber etc) No carbon steel, and no over the top pricing. I don't often carry a fixed blade and when I do it's a custom. The ergonomics are fantastic. That is so important.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:25 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 am
My only Spyderco fixed blade is the Temperance 2. No wait! I also have the Street Beat. Both are great knives in their own way. Both are VG-10 (Hmmm, I see a pattern). I have yet to figure out how to do anything useful with the hole, but I am still studying the problem.

Interesting steels would get some attention -- from the handful of steel maniacs that constitute this forum anyway, I don't know about the general knife buying public.
The general knife buying public would know quality if it hit them in the face. Same goes with different steels.
+1 so true, I was talking to this guy today who was open carrying a pistol and a fixed blade. Didn’t notice any markings. It was a deer horn handle hunting knife; I handed him my Amalgam ( mine is still factory fresh his was dull as a butter knife ) he said he never even heard of Spyderco. This guy was at least late 40s early 50s.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Would love a new Gayle Bradley design. The Junction and Bowie are awesome.
Josh
Joey

Post by Joey »

Why the price of course! I know it’s a hot topic right now, but I don’t own one because of their cost. I find I can get perfectly good fixed blades for $20-$80. I do want to pick up a street Bowie at some point, but even then I think I might be looking elsewhere at that price. Just my opinion of course.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

The main advantage to a fixed blade in use (aside from strength etc.) seems to me to be removing the extra motion of folding and unfolding. As I found out this year when cutting cord to bundle up downed tree branches, its a pain to pull out the knife, unfold it, use it, close it, pocket it,then repeat esp. if you have to do this multiple times. Simply drawing a knife from a sheath seems much simpler. That said outside of yard work I have no real use for a fixed blade. I could see taking one in my gear when hiking or mt biking, maybe a small one, but so far my folders have been perfectly sufficient. Also as some said there's "legal issues" (translation, intolerant jerks who make laws).

That said I am considering trying a Spyderco enuff, their small fixed blade knife.
At the very least next time at the store I want to check it out in person. But it's over a hundred dollars for a vg-10 3" blade. An Endura is only 70-something for the same length, hard to justify.*

*-I'm not knocking Sal/Spyderco, it's just that at my budget anything over the hundred buck mark is "expensive" right now...
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain