What should I buy to practice sharpening on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Crux

Re: What should I buy to practice sharpening on?

Post by Crux »

The Sharpmaker is great, but it allows TOO much room for error. EdgePro rocks, I'm sorry but it does!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey guys,

So I have very limited experience sharpening.. I was able to use a wet stone to sharpen my tenacious after I dulled the crap out of it... but now that I got some serious steel I want to step my game up. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying an edge pro during Black Friday (if any deals pop up).
Do you guys have any complaints with the system, it seems like everyone really enjoys it and can put factory like edges backed on super worn blades.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks, I got my sharpmaker used. No video DVD. Is the video online somewhere or can I purchase a new dvd from Spyderco?
dowlf

Post by dowlf »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:15 am
Hey guys,

So I have very limited experience sharpening.. I was able to use a wet stone to sharpen my tenacious after I dulled the crap out of it... but now that I got some serious steel I want to step my game up. I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying an edge pro during Black Friday (if any deals pop up).
Do you guys have any complaints with the system, it seems like everyone really enjoys it and can put factory like edges backed on super worn blades.
I tried to learn to sharpen freehand, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. Once I got an edgepro apex I have been able to pun a good edge on every knife I own with confidence. I think the thing that has helped me get the best results is remembering to use very light pressure. My instinct told me to really bear down with the stones, but just guiding the stones and letting their own weight be all the downward pressure that is applied really makes a difference.

There are 4 add-ons that made the machine much easier to use as well:

1. 5/16" drill stop collar to allow for easy adjustment for stone thickness when switching stones
2. neodymium magnet to tape on the underside that will hold the blade in place, I got a 3 pack of some small perfectly sized ones from HomeDepot for like $4 (I put the other 2 on the bottom of my motorcycle to help trigger traffic lights)
3. a spring to put at the ball end of the handle to allow for quick stone changes
4. the small knife attachment really helps hold small knives in place, note that it makes the angle 1 degree less than normal
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:33 pm
How about a mora? Realatively cheap but a good useable fixed blade. Personally, I just won’t buy garbage, it just encourages them to make more.

If you can wait a little while, that bow river would be perfect.

Scandi grind blades *should* be sharpened differently than conventional grinds that are found in most everything else. Not that you wouldn't learn anything that would help with sharpening other knives, but the techniques are a bit different.

I agree, trying to learn on a junk blade would be counterproductive, a decent kitchen or budget folding knife will give you the potential to get satisfying results from your sharpening practice, not just frustration.

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:15 am
Hey guys,

I *can* free hand and I still highly recommend Edge Pro type sharpening systems... my Hapstone system allows more precise and consistent results than all but the most accomplished hand sharpened fans achieve.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 am
Thanks, I got my sharpmaker used. No video DVD. Is the video online somewhere or can I purchase a new dvd from Spyderco?
https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58
Chris :spyder:
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:05 am
https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58
You may like to have a look at this clip too, by Surfingringo. :)

https://youtu.be/DI8lTj-F8gA
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Buy a good guided sharpening system! You will be thanking yourself after how easily a hair popping edge is put on your knives!

Free hand sharpening is really a god given talent. I have a lot of respect for those guys and gals who can get a knife razor sharp on a stone by hand. I use my knives to much, and will dull even the best of steels in a day or two at my job. So, I really didn’t have time to practice, or learn it..

I bought a Wicked Edge WE52 deluxe, a digital Angle Finder, some additional stones, and strops!

It is so easy! And you get sharper than factory edges! That look professional, and you don’t worry about dulling it either. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

After a knife is dulled getting home from work, I simply strop the edge at 1 degrees less than the sharpened angle and it restores that scary sharp edge. It takes about 20 seconds if that, after clamping my blade down.

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Garageboy,

It's just a learning curve. I would first suggest watching the Sharpmaker DVD. It will give you a basic understanding of what you are trying to achieve. Then I would get a 10X-12X loupe and learn to look at the edge. A 3" blade (+ or -) like a Meadowlark byrd. Look at the edge every 10-20 strokes regardless of abrasive or tool, so you can watch what's happening on the edge.

It's worth the learning curve.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 pm
Buy a good guided sharpening system! You will be thanking yourself after how easily a hair popping edge is put on your knives!

Free hand sharpening is really a god given talent. I have a lot of respect for those guys and gals who can get a knife razor sharp on a stone by hand. I use my knives to much, and will dull even the best of steels in a day or two at my job. So, I really didn’t have time to practice, or learn it..
I think everyone should try free hand at some point. It's not a very difficult skill to teach yourself. When I bought my first Spyderco all I could manage to do was make it even duller on a steel honing rod, but these days hair whittling sharpness is effortless to achieve. If my clumsy hands can learn to hold a knife steady I think most folks could :)
:unicorn
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Thanks. I was going through eBay, and man, used beat up Spyderco knives command a lot of $$$

Am hoping that the edge pro helps me free hand too. I can't seem to tell the difference between 30 and 40 degree

Using a guided system still helps you learn very much about sharpening in general. It really does, you learn how a edge should feel with your fingers, and by looking at a edge you can tell if it is not fully apexed on each side, you can look at 1 particular area and know if your bevel is uneven. You can also feel for that extreme sharpness, or if the sharpness is equal on both sides of a edge, or when it is maximum sharp for that particular stone/grit. I have learned so much on my wicked edge and I will move to freehand sharpening eventually. You also recognize what angle a bevel may or may not be.

Several people have invested the money in a guided system and they still can’t get a knife vey sharp, it is not magical, and it doesn’t do everything for you you can seriously muck a knife up if your not paying attention. There is still a learning curve and a technique. It only takes the human error out of not holding a knife at a certain angle.
“My daily razor blade”
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Thanks guys

Actually whipped out my sharpmaker and cleaned off the rods and tried to sharpen the opinel that I tried learning to free hand on. Learned that 30deg inclusive is very shallow on the stone on a narrow blade, and had to thin it up a bit. Developed a burr on one side and I'm trying to reprofile and cut the Burr off on the other.

Thanks sal, will watch the video for tips, already have a loupe for checking fountain pen nibs
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:16 pm
Thanks guys

Actually whipped out my sharpmaker and cleaned off the rods and tried to sharpen the opinel that I tried learning to free hand on. Learned that 30deg inclusive is very shallow on the stone on a narrow blade, and had to thin it up a bit. Developed a burr on one side and I'm trying to reprofile and cut the Burr off on the other.

Thanks sal, will watch the video for tips, already have a loupe for checking fountain pen nibs
The Sharpmaker is a great system. I’m going to eventually buy one to leave out on the counter tops, for quick touch up work on my edges!

My Wicked Edge sits out in the counter tops right now with strop paddles for touching up edges. But a SM is much quicker I’m sure.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:04 pm
Hi Garageboy,

It's just a learning curve. I would first suggest watching the Sharpmaker DVD. It will give you a basic understanding of what you are trying to achieve. Then I would get a 10X-12X loupe and learn to look at the edge. A 3" blade (+ or -) like a Meadowlark byrd. Look at the edge every 10-20 strokes regardless of abrasive or tool, so you can watch what's happening on the edge.

It's worth the learning curve.

sal

Have you ever considered making optional leather stropping rods for the Sharpmaker? They could be very hard leather triangle rods at a 38 degree inclusive angle that would create a very sharp edge. Everyone would be sharpening backwards, in order to avoid cutting the leather rods that is.
“My daily razor blade”
vivi

Post by vivi »

You don't have to strop at a more acute angle than you grind.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 pm
If the media has give, lower angle is needed to prevent rounding the apex: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/str ... re.750008/
If interested to explore, www.washboardsharpening.com has textured plate for stropping on paper to alleviate risk of rounding.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve found the diamond SM rods to be extremely useful, essential even.

Back to the original question ... old kitchen knives, for sure. You’ll benefit from the sharpening practice AND have sharp kitchen knives!

You can sharpen family knives when you visit them, then you ask to sharpen your friends’ kitchen knives when you visit .... you then start getting odd looks, but hey, they will probably appreciate it when they realise just how blunt their utensils were.
vivi

Post by vivi »

anagarika wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm
Vivi wrote:
If the media has give, lower angle is needed to prevent rounding the apex: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/str ... re.750008/
If interested to explore, www.washboardsharpening.com has textured plate for stropping on paper to alleviate risk of rounding.
That's if the media has give ;)

Plus if you're only stropping once or twice per side, which is IMO the most one should strop, the amount of potential rounding is so minuscule to not be worth being concerned about IMO.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:48 am
anagarika wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:27 pm
Vivi wrote:
That's if the media has give ;)

Plus if you're only stropping once or twice per side, which is IMO the most one should strop, the amount of potential rounding is so minuscule to not be worth being concerned about IMO.
Totally agree, only when one is too rigorous in stropping, more that per side, and that’s where it becomes problem.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I should get good at vg10,8cr etc before even thinking about s30v/90v/110v/m390 etc?
Or are they different animals?