What's your "type"?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fixall

What's your "type"?

Post by fixall »

I used to tell myself that I would never keep two of the same model knives in my permanent collection. That all changed when the Delica HAP40 Wharncliffe sprint came out. That knife checked all the boxes as a work knife for me! Incredible ergonomics, check. Wharncliffe blade that is easy to access with gloves, check. Scales in an easy to find color, check. Phenomenal steel, check. Stainless steel clip, check... The list goes on.

So OF COURSE, I had to buy two of them! I mean it's a sprint run... What happens if I lose or damage mine and can't find a replacement on the secondary market? Can't have that!

After awhile the HAP40 Wharncliffe Delica became my favorite knife of all time and I started carrying it even while I wasn't working... So why not pick one up with a more premium handle and easier to take care of steel?! Enter the S30V Cutlery Shoppe exclusive with Suingab G10 handles!

After installing the Suingab scales, I couldn't just let those gorgeous Safety Orange Cutlery Shoppe scales go to waste... So I obviously had to pick up a standard VG-10 Wharncliffe Delica to put them on (which has now become my work knife, lol).

And now here I sit, (im)patiently waiting for the Salt 2 Wharncliffe to add to my collection... Because what if I go on a boat or something!?

So what knife gets you all hot and bothered and makes you question (or break) your own rules?

Last edited by fixall on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Re: What's your "type"?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Dragonflys, Natives, Para3's, (Shamans are likely next).
6 dflys, 5 natives, 3 para3's
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
fixall

Post by fixall »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:23 pm
So what about the Dragonfly makes it irresistible to you? I hoping to pick up my first Dragonfly when the V-Toku2 sprint is finally released. I in LOVE with the Chaparral LW, so I could easily see myself falling for the Dragonfly too.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Kiwis, it has to be Kiwis...
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The Caly series got me....
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I too am waiting for the Salt wharnie now. ;) Those white scales look bloody awesome!
- best wishes, Jazz.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Small, sharp, functional.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I don't feel like I have a "type". I say that because I seem to be enamored by random knives with different qualities. There are a few common denominators such as lock style or blade steel but even those are not definitive of my type. I usually know if I'll like a knife the first time I lay eyes on it. There are exceptions, like the Spydiechef, that I wasn't really too interested in until I handled one and then I loved it.

That said, I do have several Para 3s in different blade steels. That knife isn't necessarily my all time favorite but it's good enough for me to justify purchasing multiple varieties of the same knife.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I like Mary Ann AND Ginger.
fixall

Post by fixall »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:54 pm
Kiwis, it has to be Kiwis...
Holy cow, I'd say so! Incredible collection sir. I really like the engraving on the second down in the second row.
PanChango wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:56 pm
The Caly series got me....
I just picked up my first from the Caly series not too long ago (Caly Jr. SuperBlue) and I'm really liking it. I'd really love to see one with a Torx construction someday (I wouldn't say no to jimping and the option for tip up carry either).

Jazz wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:11 pm
I too am waiting for the Salt wharnie now. ;) Those white scales look bloody awesome!
Haha, I bet you are! What's it been... Almost nine years since your thread about a Wharnclife Salt, lol? Thanks for your passion! Without it, my favorite knife in the whole world likely wouldn't exist.

Thanks! The scales are actually a really light gray (with blue backspacer), but I have terrible lighting (and photography skills) right now, lol. I was originally going for a darker shade of gray, similar to the Benchmade 555-1, but Suingab's supplier didn't have it available. In the end, I really liked how the color turned out and decided to keep them. :)

Here are some pics done by Suingab with a standard blade.

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

fixall wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:39 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:23 pm
So what about the Dragonfly makes it irresistible to you? I hoping to pick up my first Dragonfly when the V-Toku2 sprint is finally released. I in LOVE with the Chaparral LW, so I could easily see myself falling for the Dragonfly too.
The little big knife thing. I could get by using just a Dragonfly for most of my EDC tasks. Unless you're doing heavy cutting, it gets the job done. I like the size, fits well in my hand, like the wire clip. Makes a great "companion" knife. I usually carry a Dfly on my left side and Native or Para3 on the right. Today I'm carrying the Hawkbill Dragonfly (my favorite of the Dflys) and the Shaman.

At work breaking down thick cardboard I use the Shaman, cutting zip ties or opening boxes I use the DFly. Dflys have great precision. I like the hawkbill a lot, nothing better for zip ties, but if you have to open a box of sodas or something like that the little hawkbill keeps me from dinging the edge/tip of the bigger knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hey fixall, just so’s you know, there is in fact a proto Endura wharncliffe and a plan afoot!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=77909

@Jazz I was looking for the thread I started here but I found yours first! I did t even know about it!
fixall

Post by fixall »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:58 pm
Hey fixall, just so’s you know, there is in fact a proto Endura wharncliffe and a plan afoot!

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=77909

@Jazz I was looking for the thread I started here but I found yours first! I did t even know about it!
Yea, I've been checking that out! Unfortunately, I think it would be like like a one-handed sword in my baby hands, lol. I typically stick to three inches or less for folders and use a fixed blade if I need something larger.
Last edited by fixall on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
anycal

Post by anycal »

If it rhymes with sarah dysentery 2, it is my type.
Peter
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I've 7 or 8 Delicas. I'm definitely big fan.
3 paramilitaries, even though it isn't my favorite model.
3 different natives, also not my favorite though I am a huge fan.
2 chaparrals. If I had more $$ I'd buy the engraved ti. Will probs pick up the carbon fiber one. Chaps do excite me.

Outside of models, I have every blurple g10 s110v spydie. I'm a big fan of the steel and the color.

I'm not sure if I have a type. I'm a big fan of certain traditional models. I get collector hunger for Bullmoose and Sodbuster patterns.
Delicas excite me becuase they're so utilitarian, comfy, and always a new sprint. If I had more money I would probably have many natives, chaparrals, and militaries.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Hey fixall,
I think they make that in serrated too :D

My type is wide and flat. Foundry and lil temp 3 are right there for me.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:06 pm
Hey fixall,
I think they make that in serrated too :D

My type is wide and flat. Foundry and lil temp 3 are right there for me.
The serrated is also the best one. So good I bought 2.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

This, in exactly this configuration did it for me. Got a fourth in my pocket :)
Ric

Post by Ric »

Nate

Post by Nate »

When I first started buying Spydies I never thought I'd be the type to have more than one of any model. Now I have either a backup or multiple variants of:

Urban
Ukpk
Pingo
Pm2
Manix 2
Military
Caly 3
Manbug
Chaparral
Native lw
Calypso Jr
Mule Team