Best system for low angle wide bevels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Best system for low angle wide bevels?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I need some advice.

Recently I purchased a used military in S90V. The previous owner had someone sharpen it for him, they did a horrible job. The blade had a chip in it and in some places was close to 9 degrees per my angle cube with radically uneven bevels and different bevel widths it looked terrible.

I decided to fix it rather than cause a problem with the seller after all I do have tools and saved $50.00 buying used. Using the wicked edge pro3 with the new vice was a real pain in the rump.

I got it to work but was only able to by using the last portions of the stones maybe 1 inch worth in order to reprofile.

This took forever, like most of a day and part of another.

I then back beveled to 15 degrees per side followed by 20 degrees.

The end result was not perfect so I put it on the Ken Onion belt device to blend the bevels in a bit and have likely created an apple seed shape.

The end result is an awesome slicer.

With this story out of the way what do people use to get these low angles, like 10 degrees per side and wide bevels?

Have considered free hand but preder the accuracy of a guided system.

I am looking to buy a system that will accommodate these severe low angles, the WE PRO3 can do it but it really is not the right tool for this job. :spyder:
awa54

Re: Best system for low angle wide bevels?

Post by awa54 »

I could go down to the 10 dps range with my Hapstone Pro (Edge Pro derivative), but Usually don't do edges that thin on knives I intend to EDC (Ouroboros and Chaparral have both gotten lower angle edges). My kitchen knives, which are all extremely low angle bevels, get sharpened freehand on water stones, so the angle is only approximate and depends on the grind of the individual knife (anywhere from 5 dps-ish to 10 dps).

Sounds like your rehab of that blade is spot on, S90V isn't really an ideal candidate for an extreme edge like what it came with.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I am looking at the hapstone V7 and M2 any thoughts? Which one do you have?

Seems to me the M2 has some great features maybe as an experienced kwner you could look and share your thoughts?

I do like the new front part that raises up to keep the blade from rocking on the M2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have the V7 and I've been very happy with it. I recently posted this about it in another thread...

"Despite what the website says I can set up a PM2 on my V7 for 8 dps easy using 1/4" thick stones. If I really wanted to I could do a couple simple mods to the V7 and go even lower".

I've looked at the new M2 several times. It looks like a nice system for the price but, if I had to start over again, I'd still buy the V7 instead of the lower priced M2. There are features of the V7 that the M2 doesn't have. The square stone holder makes a nice place to set your angle cube when adjusting the angle. I also think the the way the V7 holds the stones might be better. I also like the adjustable spring loaded travel stops on the arm. If you scroll down in the link below it gives a comparison of features between the M2 & V7.

https://www.gritomatic.com/collections/ ... -sharpener
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thank you so much for the experienced insight.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Do you experience any issues with blade rocking? The M2 seems to make a big deal out of that. Is it really an issue?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ah just noticed the M2 lacks rod stops which could allow ones hand to go into the blade
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:16 pm
Do you experience any issues with blade rocking? The M2 seems to make a big deal out of that. Is it really an issue?
No real issues with the blade rocking so far. It might be helpful with shorter blades (3" or less) that aren't that tall. With these blades you have to move them out a little so the belly & tip clear the table. So there's not as much surface area of the blade resting on the magnetic table. Even though the magnets are really strong I usually hold the handle to provide more support with every knife. So rocking hasn't really been an issue. I reprofiled my Positron last weekend and at one point I thought that vertical blade support might come in handy. It's hard to say though. In the end the Positron turned out great. So what little rocking I was experiencing was actually a non-issue.

BTW, on the website they show a close up of that blade support. The knife it's being shown with is overhanging the table way more than I would have it set up. I don't think rocking would ever be a problem with that knife. Also note that in the comparison between the two units they note that the vertical blade support will be offered as an option for the V7. I haven't found it on Gritomatic's or Hapstone's websites but I assume that it'll be available in the future. Not sure if I'll buy it but it's nice to have options.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Well i supppose this settles it then hapstone V7 and the rod for my existing Wicked wdge pro 3 stones.

Any recommendation on their stones? I work with S30V,M390, Elmax, s110v, S90V, S35Vn, M4, CTS-XHP ALL spyderco for the most part.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I went with the basic unit with 3 SiC stones (from Amazon). Then I immediately added the set of 3 Venev bonded diamond dual sided stones (also from Amazon). I already had a set of 6" x 1/2" x 1/8" Moldmaster (SiC) stones from Congess Tool that I've used quite a bit for smaller blades. I've recently upgraded those to 1/4" thick and I've also added a full set of 6" x 1" x 1/4". I use the Moldmaster stones more than anything. I wouldn't want to be without the Venev bonded diamond stones for S110 & S90V though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:29 pm
Any recommendation on their stones? I work with S30V,M390, Elmax, s110v, S90V, S35Vn, M4, CTS-XHP ALL spyderco for the most part.
Buy a set of SiC stones and a Venev 1200grit bonded Diamond or CBN and loose grit SiC to keep them flat and sharp and you’ll be set to sharpen any knife. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

So my Amazon cart looks like this.

Hapstone V7 with silicone carbide pack that ships with it

A guide rod for my wicked wicked edge stones

6" x 1" Venev Dual Side Bonded Diamond Set (3 stones, 6 grits)

Cowhide Leather Strop 6" x 1" with Aluminum Mounting for Edge Pro

Having a hard time finding moldmaster. A link please?

What is this about flattening? Please explain in context.

Thank you very much guys.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:56 pm
So my Amazon cart looks like this.

Hapstone V7 with silicone carbide pack that ships with it

A guide rod for my wicked wicked edge stones

6" x 1" Venev Dual Side Bonded Diamond Set (3 stones, 6 grits)

Cowhide Leather Strop 6" x 1" with Aluminum Mounting for Edge Pro

Having a hard time finding moldmaster. A link please?

What is this about flattening? Please explain in context.

Thank you very much guys.
https://www.congresstools.com/catalog/c ... ory/?id=27

That's quite a cart you have going! :)

I forgot to mention earlier that I also have a couple Edge Pro aluminum blanks that I use for higher grits of SiC sandpaper that I bought from Amazon. 3M double-sided tape works great. The sandpaper comes as high as 7000 grit and works pretty well for polishing bevels. I also have some Edge Pro glass blanks to use with the various polishing tapes you can buy. I've thought about ordering a couple of the Gritomatic/Edge Pro leather strops but then I'd end buying various diamond sprays or paste. Don't think I need to go there at this point.

Regarding leveling. These SiC stones are friable and wear away from use. After a while they need to be levelled to make them flat again. My girl bought me the Edge Pro leveling kit (glass plate with grit) for my birthday last year. I've only used it once and it seemed to work fine. The grit is course (60 grit?) and per the instructions I started with my lowest grit stone. That broke down the grit and I proceeded with my leveling each stone in the progression. Like I said, I've only used it the one time with my original set of Moldmasters and it worked fine. My other Moldmasters are still fairly new. They seemed to work fine as new so I haven't flattened them yet.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Cool has anyone purchased directly from gritomatic? I see they offer the Wicked edge pro guide rod for free if you provide a picture with a slip of paper with the current date. I am wondering though if shipping overcomes the prime advantage and or if they have any issues delivering in a timely manner.

Another thing that comes to mind is perhaps the diamonds need not be purchased since the wicked edge pros are already paid for and broken in.

I like the strop so put it in the cart because I do have diamond paste for the wicked edge pro 3.

Boy this knife hobby is getting expensive :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:38 pm
Cool has anyone purchased directly from gritomatic? I see they offer the Wicked edge pro guide rod for free if you provide a picture with a slip of paper with the current date. I am wondering though if shipping overcomes the prime advantage and or if they have any issues delivering in a timely manner.

Another thing that comes to mind is perhaps the diamonds need not be purchased since the wicked edge pros are already paid for and broken in.

I like the strop so put it in the cart because I do have diamond paste for the wicked edge pro 3.

Boy this knife hobby is getting expensive :)
I've always ordered directly from Amazon but it looks like Gritomatic ships from Amazon fulfillment. So I would order through Gritomatic and get guide rod for free. I'm interested to see how you like using your WE paddles on the V7. I'm also interested in hearing your thoughts on using the V7 vs. the WE Pro.

I like the idea of the strop but the price of some of the better diamond sprays frightens me. I suppose my edges could benefit from it but I'm not sure about stropping on the V7. I already have a KP strop block that I rarely use so I guess I'm leary about spending the money on something else I won't use. I'll have think about this some more.

And yes, it gets expensive in a hurry
Doeswhateveraspidercan

You have been a huge help to me. I will be sure to let you know. Have an email into gritomatic concerning delivery time will soon know if buying from Amazon or them. Prefer to buy direct and help the smaller guy.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:01 pm
You have been a huge help to me. I will be sure to let you know. Have an email into gritomatic concerning delivery time will soon know if buying from Amazon or them. Prefer to buy direct and help the smaller guy.
I meant to post this link earlier but forgot. In case you hadn't seen this on Gritomatic's website...

https://www.gritomatic.com/pages/shipping
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Very cool thank you so much ordering in the AM direct from them.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Okay so I cracked the piggy bank and bought the Hapstone 7 with diamond stones and silicone carbide as suggested and also god the wicked edge pro adapter.

My S90V Military used from the Bay was screwed up by the original owners friend. Bevels all over the place. Some as low as 10 Degrees per my angle cube and wicked edge pro3.

With great pain I set the bevels at 10 degrees per side in the wicked edge. Or so I thought. The whole this was not to my liking as the Wicked edge pro 3 is worthless below 15 Degrees

Today I spent goes with the silicone carbide stone 120 Grit then decided this is taking too long, switched to the diamonds also 120 grit. Still taking too long.

Installed the WE PRO adapter rod grabbed the 100 Grit WE STONE.

I know darn good and well diamonds cut S90V better than what I was experiencing!

Set the bevel to 10 Degrees with the angle cube for the third time.

Hello Jack pot now we are cutting likes I remember and 10 Degrees is one heck of a lot wider than the readings I was getting using the wicked edge pro.

So in short when there is a ton of material to remove the WE pro stones get the job done far better.

In retrospect I would recommend not buying the WICKED EDGE PRO system but do but the stones and get Hapstone 7.

Still working out it’s stone but thay are far less agressive than the WE Pro.

Word of caution when using the we adapter do install a stop color I over shot and scratched the side a bit.

The WE stones are now able to hit angles and parts of the knife near the handle I could never get before.

This is a slow process still will post pics later. Thanks for all the advice loving the hapstone7!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Aw heck here are some work in progress pics.
04B80FF0-A3C6-4877-AA17-046BEF9BE629.jpeg
0995ACAD-9092-47FB-9F49-73A8E00CBBBE.jpeg
EB7AFF77-58CE-45D5-9B12-E3CB711CFA31.jpeg