Best system for low angle wide bevels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Best system for low angle wide bevels?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

35EA0408-2E43-4D0B-9E89-0E5784D2AEAB.jpeg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Have to keep spraying slurry off with a spray bottle.
4EA5AEA3-A61E-4696-B98B-7A7DA4BD083C.jpeg
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:45 pm
Still working out it’s stone but thay are far less agressive than the WE Pro.
Glad you like your new sharpener. :)

The Hapstone SiC stones seem to cut like a higher grit than what they are marked particularly when new. I find they cut better after they are lapped/flattened on loose grit SiC.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wish I would have picked this system over the KME.I was torn a year ago and went with the kme becuase I knew more people with it.

No desire to own both though.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Trust me I felt the same way after huge investment in The Wicked Edge pro 3 system. Being able to use my existing stones is a huge win!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Glad you're liking the Hapstone! I was wondering the other day what you thought of it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:11 pm
Glad you're liking the Hapstone! I was wondering the other day what you thought of it.
Lol wound up buying direct saved a lot of money that way. Gritomatic was awesome to work with, They answered all my questions.

I just got around to unboxing it and using it today. So far loving it!!!

The magnetic table hold the blade perfectly. Just have to use a spray bottle to blow grit off blade and table. Great tool like it better than WE PRO.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Okay so I cracked the piggy bank and bought the Hapstone 7 with diamond stones and silicone carbide as suggested and also god the wicked edge pro adapter.

My S90V Military used from the Bay was screwed up by the original owners friend. Bevels all over the place. Some as low as 10 Degrees per my angle cube and wicked edge pro3.

With great pain I set the bevels at 10 degrees per side in the wicked edge. Or so I thought. The whole this was not to my liking as the Wicked edge pro 3 is worthless below 15 Degrees

Today I spent goes with the silicone carbide stone 120 Grit then decided this is taking too long, switched to the diamonds also 120 grit. Still taking too long.

Installed the WE PRO adapter rod grabbed the 100 Grit WE STONE.

I know darn good and well diamonds cut S90V better than what I was experiencing!

Set the bevel to 10 Degrees with the angle cube for the third time.

Hello Jack pot now we are cutting likes I remember and 10 Degrees is one heck of a lot wider than the readings I was getting using the wicked edge pro.

So in short when there is a ton of material to remove the WE pro stones get the job done far better.

In retrospect I would recommend not buying the WICKED EDGE PRO system but do but the stones and get Hapstone 7.

Word of caution when using the we adapter do install a stop color I over shot and scratched the side a bit.

The WE stones are now able to hit angles and parts of the knife near the handle I could never get before.

This is a slow process still will post pics later. Thanks for all the advice loving the hapstone7!

I own the Hapstone V6 and worked with the guys at Gritomatic indirectly to develop the V7 (I heavily modified my V6 and sent them photos and they incorporated some of my mods into the V7). I also have every Shapton glass stone that fits the sharpener. Give me 15 hours and I'll put a 10deg bevel on any edge that will reflect so clearly one can see back in time! Buuuuuuut... give me 15 minutes with the Worksharp Ken Onion with Blade Grinding Attachment and I'll do the same thing. ;) I'm not sure why you didn't use yours for the same task.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Zatx wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:44 pm
Okay so I cracked the piggy bank and bought the Hapstone 7 with diamond stones and silicone carbide as suggested and also god the wicked edge pro adapter.

My S90V Military used from the Bay was screwed up by the original owners friend. Bevels all over the place. Some as low as 10 Degrees per my angle cube and wicked edge pro3.

With great pain I set the bevels at 10 degrees per side in the wicked edge. Or so I thought. The whole this was not to my liking as the Wicked edge pro 3 is worthless below 15 Degrees

Today I spent goes with the silicone carbide stone 120 Grit then decided this is taking too long, switched to the diamonds also 120 grit. Still taking too long.

Installed the WE PRO adapter rod grabbed the 100 Grit WE STONE.

I know darn good and well diamonds cut S90V better than what I was experiencing!

Set the bevel to 10 Degrees with the angle cube for the third time.

Hello Jack pot now we are cutting likes I remember and 10 Degrees is one heck of a lot wider than the readings I was getting using the wicked edge pro.

So in short when there is a ton of material to remove the WE pro stones get the job done far better.

In retrospect I would recommend not buying the WICKED EDGE PRO system but do but the stones and get Hapstone 7.

Word of caution when using the we adapter do install a stop color I over shot and scratched the side a bit.

The WE stones are now able to hit angles and parts of the knife near the handle I could never get before.

This is a slow process still will post pics later. Thanks for all the advice loving the hapstone7!

I own the Hapstone V6 and worked with the guys at Gritomatic indirectly to develop the V7 (I heavily modified my V6 and sent them photos and they incorporated some of my mods into the V7). I also have every Shapton glass stone that fits the sharpener. Give me 15 hours and I'll put a 10deg bevel on any edge that will reflect so clearly one can see back in time! Buuuuuuut... give me 15 minutes with the Worksharp Ken Onion with Blade Grinding Attachment and I'll do the same thing. ;) I'm not sure why you didn't use yours for the same task.

Thanks for theR&D with Hapstone.

I feared runing the temper by heating up the blade during a reprofile job.

Any tips on avoiding scratches on the side of the blade? I used a spray bottle to blast off the grit but there are scratches anyway.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:46 pm
Any tips on avoiding scratches on the side of the blade? I used a spray bottle to blast off the grit but there are scratches anyway.
You can protect the blade by using masking tape. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm
Thanks, I tried that but it got gummy with all the water and the tape just got in the way of the stones I was windering if maybe finger nail polish or something like that might be a good way to go? I see people doing that for acid washing and preventing acid from getting in the pivot.

Speaking of which would the pcb board acid work on S90V? If so would it still be food safe afterwards?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:26 pm
Thanks, I tried that but it got gummy with all the water and the tape just got in the way of the stones I was windering if maybe finger nail polish or something like that might be a good way to go? I see people doing that for acid washing and preventing acid from getting in the pivot.

Speaking of which would the pcb board acid work on S90V? If so would it still be food safe afterwards?
I use Windex as lubricant and it’s nowhere near as messy as water, though I don’t mask blades.

I use green masking tape on the bed of my Hapstone and although it gets wet with Windex it doesn’t seem to effect the glue in any way and it stays in place without lifting.

Sorry, but I know nothing of acid etching. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks bloke I wonder if blue will work the same as green? Have never seen green. Interesting Windex hmm ammonia or the new stuff?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm
Thanks bloke I wonder if blue will work the same as green? Have never seen green. Interesting Windex hmm ammonia or the new stuff?
I use the blue masking tape on the Hapstone and on the blade. I'm kind of OCD about keeping each side the same height. So instead of just wrapping the blade up haphazardly, I use the wide stuff and trace the blade shape with a fine point sharpie. And then move the blade over a little bit (1/8"?) and retrace the edge inside of the original outline. Then I cut it out with a scissors. This way the tape is a little smaller to make room for the new edge. The blue tape works ok but it sometimes come up from the water. I've read that the tan masking tape has better adhesive and won't come up as easily when wet. I've had a roll of the wide tan tape in my toolbox for years but keep forgetting to try it when I sharpen.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm
The blue tape works ok but it sometimes come up from the water.
aspidercan and Pat this is what I use but like I said I don’t mask blades.

Give Windex a go and you’ll never look back. If you’re using porous stones make sure you saturate them and keep them wet. If you use something like a 1/2” artists brush you can a lather going every time you flip sides and keep your stones near spotless as you sharpen. Wash them with water when your done, pat them down with paper towel and let them dry. :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Bloke wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:03 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm
The blue tape works ok but it sometimes come up from the water.
aspidercan and Pat this is what I use but like I said I don’t mask blades.

Give Windex a go and you’ll never look back. If you’re using porous stones make sure you saturate them and keep them wet. If you use something like a 1/2” artists brush you can a lather going every time you flip sides and keep your stones near spotless as you sharpen. Wash them with water when your done, pat them down with paper towel and let them dry. :)
Thank you Bloke appreciate the advice.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

For the Hapstone I use clear packing tape on the platform and on the blade of the knife I'm sharpening. It doesn't gum up with windex, water, or anything else you throw at it. It is a bit trickier to get off of the blade, but I also keep a bottle of adhesive remover on my workbench because the most common use of my pocket knives is cutting... well... packing tape. ;)
setldown

Post by setldown »

Zatx wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:00 am
For the Hapstone I use clear packing tape on the platform and on the blade of the knife I'm sharpening. It doesn't gum up with windex, water, or anything else you throw at it. It is a bit trickier to get off of the blade, but I also keep a bottle of adhesive remover on my workbench because the most common use of my pocket knives is cutting... well... packing tape. ;)
Same here ......good old USPS Packing tape. Lasts forever. Here's ApostleP tip on it.

https://youtu.be/T9HzJM7IKPg?t=598
Doeswhateveraspidercan

2019-01-02 Update.

Ok so I have to admit S90V is a real devil to create wide bevels on at 10 Degrees. A little at a time I am using the messed up Military in S90V I got off eBay. Yes It has been fun :) Using the Hapstone7 and 100 Grit Wicked Edge Pro Stones to blow off steel I realized something today.

I was having a very hard time getting the Bevel set on the left side of the blade.

First it dawned on me hey? where is my slurry? Then I applied more pressure and got it and saw results.

Today I discovered something else. Oh Man being Right handed I pick up on things more swiftly when using my right hand! There is slop in the rod used with the Wicked Edge Pro Rod and stones for the Hapstone 7 I was missing the bevel high up so applied pressure towards the top of the stone as in heading towards the the spine.

Bingo issue solved! Getting ready to move on to finer grits and the actual Hapstone Diamond Venev stones then Silicone impregnated Stones to remove all scratches then Perhaps the worksharp with blade grinding attachment to blend everything then stropping with Leather and Diamond paste on the Hapstone 7.

I have decided to take these awesome wide bevels to a mirror polish and acid wash the blade with Ferric Chloride. May even stone-wash it.

Learning allot and enjoying the Spyderco quality platform allowing me to enjoy this.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Does,

I think you’re right mate, S90V doesn’t like being ground. Ah, hahaha! Lucky you don’t have to do it often. ;)

Great to hear you’re enjoying sharpening. It’s very satisfying when you start to feel the subtle differences pressure, cutting speed etc. make and it all comes together.

I’d be interested to see how your knife turns out too. :)