What are your thoughts on Spyderco's Peel-ply Carbon Fiber?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you think of Spyderco's G10/CF laminate?

I prefer it to regular carbon fiber
18%
I don't have a preference bettween the peel-ply CF and normal CF
22%
I would like spyderco to use normal CF even if it was more expensive
43%
other
17%

Total votes: 100

M4Life

What are your thoughts on Spyderco's Peel-ply Carbon Fiber?

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys I just wanted to see what your opinion on peel ply carbon fiber was. do you prefer it, not have a preference, or wish that Spyderco would use full on CF even if it was more expensive?
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Evil D

Re: What are your thoughts on Spyderco's Peel-ply Carbon Fiber?

Post by Evil D »

I love it. I wouldn't mind having it on everything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is a little confusing... Peel-ply CF is full CF, just with the texture on top left from peeling the adhesive layer off. Sand it down and it’s smooth CF. Are you referring to the CF/G10 laminate that Taichung uses? That stuff I really wish they’d ditch in favor of the stuff they use in Golden.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I love the feel of the Golden CF peel ply. It's basically perfect. I like solid matte CF as well, especially if it's contoured like the Kapara.

^^^ Agreed about the laminate.
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Title is definitely a little confusing. I really like peel ply carbon fiber, but I’m not a huge fan of carbon fiber laminate. I don’t have a problem with it, but I’d rather just have G-10 in most situations.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I clicked “other” because I think you’re confused. Radioactive summed it up nicely. Peel ply just refers to the way the grippy texture is created. It’s 100% carbon fiber.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am
This is a little confusing... Peel-ply CF is full CF, just with the texture on top left from peeling the adhesive layer off. Sand it down and it’s smooth CF. Are you referring to the CF/G10 laminate that Taichung uses? That stuff I really wish they’d ditch in favor of the stuff they use in Golden.
This.

To me in general CF just looks cheap. The fake stuff is all over the place in cars etc. It has been so over used that it is not special anymore. Kinda sick of it really. But CF can be really nice looking when it is on some contoured handles and you can see the CF weave all the way through. The G10 laminate will just be black wherever there is some contouring or cutouts. I'd rather have a nice G10 color or some Micarta then the fake stuff. I think CF is kinda wasted on just flat scales that many Spyderco's have. But it would look great on a Shaman or with some milling like the fluted stuff Spyderco did.

Due to this i also don't like Peel Ply CF cause if i paid for CF i want to see the nice weave. Why pay for CF when you cant even really see it due to the Peel Ply texture. And the weight saving vs G10 ain't worth the cost. So you buy it for the looks. But with real Peel Ply CF i could at least sand it smooth and have it my way. If you want texture get the CF milled in some way.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Other. Because I like the weight but I love the look and feel of other CF too. I don't hate smooth scales. I have great love for Ti and Stainless models.

Love this.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I chose "other", because I love the peel-ply for work knives, but smooth finish CF shows off the weave better on knives that don't necessarily need the extra grip. I wish KC had stuck with peel-ply on their Manix/CruWear exclusive.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Joey

Post by Joey »

As someone who has never owned (or really ever seen in person) any carbon fiber, I find the Golden peel ply/full CF scales to be outstanding. Last week I got my CF PM2, and my “CF” Sliverax. I have to say, now that I have one of each, I almost have to get rid of the Sliverax. It is simply an inferior material choice, and I almost wish it was just straight G10. Peel ply CF would of course be the best option, but I’m also happy I got it for $120 shipped.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would prefer Spyderco to use textured G10 as their cost saving choice vs G10 CF laminate. I love Peel Ply Solid CF the texture is very grippy.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joey wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:38 pm
As someone who has never owned (or really ever seen in person) any carbon fiber, I find the Golden peel ply/full CF scales to be outstanding. Last week I got my CF PM2, and my “CF” Sliverax. I have to say, now that I have one of each, I almost have to get rid of the Sliverax. It is simply an inferior material choice, and I almost wish it was just straight G10. Peel ply CF would of course be the best option, but I’m also happy I got it for $120 shipped.
Why do you feel the CF/G10 laminate is so inferior? I understand if it's all about the texture for you. There was a time when I only wanted handles that had really grippy texture. Now that I have a drawer full of jeans and cargo shorts with the right pocket fraying I'm starting to appreciate handles with less texture. I find the CF/G10 laminate is very durable and it has just enough texture so it's not slippery yet it doesn't rip my pockets apart. I do wish they'd offer some color variations. Otherwise I really like it. I still like the grippy stuff but sometimes a little less grippy is nice too.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Joey

Post by Joey »

I suppose it’s purely preference, because I couldn’t find fault with CF/G10 necessarily. I think it’s just the fact that it was designed to save cost, and I just don’t see a big savings to the customer going this route.
Does anyone happen to know what a manufacturer will save (from a “cost” standpoint) by using CF/G10 vs using a single piece of CF for each scale?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

It doesn't look flashy, but it is light, stiff and has great grip so on a Military etc. it is great. On dressier models it looks out of place and matte slightly sculpted CF is preferable. I'm referring to the full CF peel-Ply not the laminate here.

The laminate is ok, but I prefer both CF and G10 to it.
Last edited by NoFair on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I like Spydercos g10.

I like their CF.

I like their G10/CF composite.

Never had issues with any of them.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I voted wrong, poll and thread title are different. I don’t care for the G10/CF Laminate but I really like the Carbon Fiber peel ply Spyderco uses. I prefer this Carbon Finer over any other company because of the grip they can get with it, versus smooth polished carbon fiber. And I think it looks great.
Josh
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I think my Domino is a great knife, except for the g10/cf laminate. I just prefer textured g10 like the PM2, regular cf, or even micarta. I've heard of people sanding the top layer off and polishing the g10 underneath though, maybe I'll try that.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Real CF is not my favorite material or look for frames anyway.
so CF laminate is a real turnoff.
especially on just one side.
I don't mind a little heft and prefer it.
too each his own.

I would love to see Spyderco do some exotic woods on their designs.
all the smaller 3 inch and under ...great!
Snakewood, Cocobolo, Ironwood, Box Elder Burl.
I think alot of people would pay...lol
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

As others have said, the title and the poll appear to not match. The title is asking about the peel ply textured carbon fiber, which I love and think is fantastic. It has the grip of typical peel ply textured G10 but with the subtle flair of CF underneath. But it appears the poll is asking about the CF/G10 laminate. I also like this material, but to be honest I prefer solid CF over it.

My vote doesn't reflect that though, as I didn't read carefully and voted in answer to the thread title and not the poll question. D'oh! :p
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I prefer the laminate when factoring in the cost savings.