How do you determine which Spyderco is best for you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

How do you determine which Spyderco is best for you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Perhaps this question has been asked in another form before, but, in a general sense, or specific sense, when you pick one of Spyderco's products, how do you determine if one model is better than another? Size? Shape? Steel? Handle?
blues

Re: How do you determine which Spyderco is best for you?

Post by blues »

It's like walking into a bar filled with beautiful women, (or folks of the gender of your choice). The one I want is the one that makes your heart beat just a bit faster when you look at her and her, um, attributes. And by attributes I mean beyond just the obvious ones. (I got lucky and married the one I found thirty one years ago. But I met her on the subway, not in a bar.)

So yes...steel first and foremost, then pattern, utility, scale material. Made in USA a big plus for me. Size is certainly a consideration but not necessarily the final determinant.
- Retired from the chase -
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:10 pm
Perhaps this question has been asked in another form before, but, in a general sense, or specific sense, when you pick one of Spyderco's products, how do you determine if one model is better than another? Size? Shape? Steel? Handle?
That’s simple, just buy/try all the ones that call to you, then sell/gift the ones that don’t work out. For most of us here that’s how we found what worked for us.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

1. I begin with the purpose of the knife: what do I intend to use a given blade for and how does this or that knife appear to fill those needs.
2. How does it feel? All the stats in the world are worthless if you can't comfortably use the tool.
3. How easy is it to maintain? If I'm going to use a tool, I want to be able to keep it in top condition. Easier maintenance is a plus.
3. How does it look? For me, function > form and I find functional things to have inherent beauty. I've heard people say that certain Spydercos are ugly. All I can say is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, the Manix 2 is one of the most incredible knives ever made. It fits my hand like it was made specifically for me. Blade dimensions are perfect for EDC and then some. It is very much a tool but its design is refined and elegant in its simplicity: remove the unnecessary, leaving only what is required to achieve its purpose. And THAT, my friend, is beautiful.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I go by two main considerations. Ones that fit my general life requirements, such as the kinds of cutting tasks I am most likely to do, and my environment. My mobility is limited presently so outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking activities are not on my agenda. I prefer smaller knives although I have a Para Military 2 because I might need a larger knife sometime and it is a Spyderco icon.

Which leads to the second consideration, that it pleases me, that I like to look at it and feel it in hand. My Lil’ Lum is in that category. Sure, it will do what I ask of it, but beyond that it is a design from a man I respect and I am happy when I see it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:52 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
That’s simple, just buy/try all the ones that call to you, then sell/gift the ones that don’t work out. For most of us here that’s how we found what worked for us.
Second that, + steel means very little to me as long as it's =/ >VG10
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

For me I consider several factors, some of which you listed already:
- My intended use for the knife (daily, or hard use outdoor)
- Overall size
-Blade size is pretty much based off of what I intend to use it for.
-Ergonomics of the handle / handle material can be a factor.
- Locking mechanism, I really enjoy compression locks and frame locks (with steel inserts for strength).
- The price, I do think you need to pay for quality and have no mind paying, but I don't think it should be an ultra premium.
Although I understand there are aspects of the price not reflected in materials such as business expenses, and marketing.

So in short, if the build quality is there and the price is well suited to reflect the workmanship, I'm down.. (as long as I need another knife, I have been content lately :)). I think my greatest "cheap buy" of the year was the Civivi Praxxis... 42 bucks and it felt like quality you'd expect in a hundred dollar plus blade.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I have a six points of consideration (poc) process for purchasing a knife aka product of utility gluttony satisfaction (pugs).

For me, the first point of consideration is whether I like the look.
If I don't like how a knife looks, I'm not going to buy it. Luckily for me, I prefer simple and utilitarian.

Second, is the knife design/construction reasonable? I'm not buying a 4mm blade stock knife. I'm also not going to buy a knife that is overly complex (exception for my one otf). I'm not buying a knife with handle materials that will break or beat up just from being carried.

Third, does it fit in my hand? This is the point where things get personal. I have to enjoy using it in my hand. Luckily, most spydercos work for me.

Fourth, does the knife's design fit a niche in my collection? This could be a use niche or a collection niche.

Fifth, is the blade steel and handle materials something I want? This isn't too much of a problem with spyderco-- it is with other brands. I do get s30v/vg10 fatigue.

Sixth, can I justify purchasing it?
(This last point is a killer)
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:52 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Yep, this. Through experience you'll learn what works best for you.

For me, I can easily narrow down 9/10ths of most companies offerings with my obnoxiously picky preferences:

- No detent based locks (liner lock, frame lock, compression lock)
- No blades under 3.5 - 4" on folders unless it's a multitool
- No blades over 5.5 - 6" on fixed blades unless its a chopper, chef knife or filet knife.
- No saber grinds
- No excessively thick stock
- No leather sheaths on fixed blades
- No sharpening choils
- No assisted open / auto
- No neck carry
- No tip down only folders
- No carbon steel folders
- Rarely do I purchase stainless fixed blades
- Nothing over $200, knives over $100 purchased sparingly. Too many quality designs in these price ranges to splurge for anything pricier.

Now sometimes I break one of my rules...so many designs I otherwise love feature sharpening notches, my Police 4 has a carbon steel blade, and the FFG Pacific Salt isn't out yet so I make do with the saber grind....but generally all my purchases otherwise conform to this list.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, I’m going to have to set some rules. My maximum allowed number of Spydercos that I buy is limited to three. If I want another bad enough, one current knife will have to go first. Otherwise, I will get too far down the Spydie hole. Knives aren’t investments for me, they are users and companions.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ric

Post by Ric »

You need to experience them.

Start with different sizes and locks.

I started with value folders.
Liner lock was not mine, resilience was too big and heavy.
Dfly i loved but not in H1.
PM2 was a bit too heavy for EDC then the para 3 came out and it made BOOM.

Still experiment with Mantra 3, Lil Native, ...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have a strong preference for midlock models. Within those, I have a strong preference for models with a 50/50 choil. Within those, I have a strong preference for versions with what I consider to be a decently stainless steel. For my primary folder, I prefer models with a full flat ground blade and a Spyderhole at least 13mm in diameter that is fully exposed when the knife is closed. I want it to have a handle that's comfortable in my hand, as close to the minimum needed to enclose that blade, and can fit comfortably across the bottom of a back pocket in my jeans. For a small folder, I want something that will fit in the coin/watch pocket of those same jeans. After that, it comes down to esthetics. While I agree with Sal's famous comment that "tractors don't need to look like Ferraris", I don't see any reason why they can't, so I prefer simple uncluttered blade shapes and grinds combined with esthetically pleasing handle materials.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I only have 2 things to consider:
-it makes my heart beat faster?
-can i afford to buy it?
Also,there is no such a thing as a best spyderco,in general.Only a best spyderco at a given moment.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

The second Spyderco I bought was an Endura and I've been carrying one ever since.

Picked it up, liked it, bought it on the spot.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I haven't yet. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In order to importance:

Ergonomics
Blade shape/angle
Steel
Lock
Price
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Some important things for me:

• Ergonomics
  • LIGHTWEIGHT (full steel liners + FRN handle = too heavy)
  • Right size (longer knives preferred)
  • Good handle-to-blade ratio
  • Tip-up carry
  • Stainlessness
  • Flat-ground + distal taper + thin blade
  • Edge options? (some knives I like serrated, others I want plainedged)
  • Awesomeness/gorgeousness/coolness (do I look at the knife and go "my gosh that thing is calling to me and I will enjoy every second of the time it spends in my hand"?)
  • How long will it take me to save up for this thing, and could I buy a bunch of other almost-as-cool knives for the price of the one awesome knife?
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

For me it's always been design (what was it built for), practicality, ergonomics (contoured handles, good grip, etc.), and size (which, at least to me, is a part of the first three). I do like having a BIG, ROBUST blade for big tasks as well as a small, practical blade for everyday tasks that don't require a longer, larger blade. I do tend to lean towards the carbon steels for ease of sharpening and edge retention, although there are stainless steels, such as 154CM or ATS-34, that share those characteristics to some extent while also being stain resistant.

In addition to the above, I also like (if the design allows) the following... tip-down carry, flat-ground blade profile, PE, a reliable locking system (and, I do like lockbacks, frame locks, liner locks, and compression locks), and durability.

Currently, the :spyder: s that fit those characteristics for me are the Spyderco Military, Manix (preferably the C95 Manix), Para Military 2, Glock Endura, Delica 4, and Assist.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
anycal

Post by anycal »

It needs to check one of these bullet points,

- is it a PM2
- is it a Military
- is it a Native 5
Peter