The SE mentality shift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: The SE mentality shift

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Showing blades
IMG_6629.JPG
Doeswhateveraspidercan

opposite of serrated scallops side
IMG_6630.JPG
Doeswhateveraspidercan

opposite of Serrated Scalloped side close up
IMG_6631.JPG
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I wish the serrated bevels could be on both sides of the blade. But maybe they work fine as they are. From my experience they do.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I thought about this also but it is the chisel grind that makes them such great slicers. With honing I can get each of these to slice telephone book paper by locking in the scallops. The first two just do not do it as well as the later versions of the scallops.

I think this speaks to Sal's philosophy of constant improvement. I love all my Spyderco knives some are just better than others even within the same product family. It is nice to see the same Military evolve and get better and better it says allot about the company.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm
I wish the serrated bevels could be on both sides of the blade. But maybe they work fine as they are. From my experience they do
I don't want them in both sides
They work fine as they are.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:41 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:21 pm
I wish the serrated bevels could be on both sides of the blade. But maybe they work fine as they are. From my experience they do
I don't want them in both sides
They work fine as they are.
Yeah I agree that serrations are better with a chisel grind type arrangement. Even all the really nice culinary blades with serrated blades I've obtained in the past few weeks I've noticed that they are all a chisel type grind on the edge as well. Now there are certain blade grinds that tend to be better for serrated edges. The Full Flat Grind for instance does seem to perform somewhat better with an SE type edge.

Now blades with curve in them like Hawkbills for instance seem to do well no matter what type of blade grind they have in serrated edges>> most Hawkbills have a hollow grind and still seem to do well in SE as well.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Ive noticed one benefit of Spydiedge knives NOT being as popular as Plain Edge knives.

Excepting MINT, BNIB collectors items, 2nd hand / Used knives go for less $ on the open market as they are not as sought after.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am
Ive noticed one benefit of Spydiedge knives NOT being as popular as Plain Edge knives.

Excepting MINT, BNIB collectors items, 2nd hand / Used knives go for less $ on the open market as they are not as sought after.
Actually NITRO I'm probably one of the few guys here that even collects used knives. Most of the time I end up using them or eventually trading them for other knives or gear. And for me Spyderedged knives new or used are go great for the types of uses that they excel at. It's almost certain that I'll eventually use most of my Spyderedged blades. When I get my financial ducks in a row I'll probably start another user collection and another collection of Spyders with the Spyderedge. And it behooves me as to why Spyderco doesn't do more Sprint Runs of Spyderedged blades. A G-10, SE Harpy is well overdue for instance.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I'm a user as well so stay away from high priced pure collectors stuff. It's good in some ways as I don't mind marks on the blade etc

I've seen you and others mention Harpy a few times, will look it up.

I picked up a SE Stainless Cricket the other day for $50. Couldn't believe it didn't sell quicker on the forum, I had to message the seller saying I'll buy it in 2 weeks when funds available it it's still unsold.
Attachments
IMG_5644.JPG
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:48 am
I'm a user as well so stay away from high priced pure collectors stuff. It's good in some ways as I don't mind marks on the blade etc

I've seen you and others mention Harpy a few times, will look it up.

I picked up a SE Stainless Cricket the other day for $50. Couldn't believe it didn't sell quicker on the forum, I had to message the seller saying I'll buy it in 2 weeks when funds available it it's still unsold.
Well NITRO if you like the cutting ability of that CRICKET model you would absolutely LOVE!!! the cutting ability of the Spyderedged version of the Dodo model. As good as that Cricket model is for a smaller blade it's only about half as good as that Dodo model with a Spyderedge. Along with the Spyderedged G-10 Harpy the Spyderedged Dodo is another one that I'm wanting to see return as well.

Also you might want to check into the Hawkbill Dragonfly model. For it's size I've heard some pretty awesome testimonies about it as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love the "Hawkfly" but it did come in rather thick in the grind. That's probably a good thing for a hawkbill, at least the tip isn't fragile but when it comes to slicing it isn't half the knife that the standard Dragonfly Salt SE is. It really depends on what you're cutting if that even matters though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I'm working on a DoDo but got other priorities ATM but at US$50 even though not a fan of stainless I couldn't pass it up / plus being on the forum less risk than eBay.

FYI as a general rule I like bigger knives than smaller knives, not a fan of fiddle delicate things lol

Harpy looks like a smaller version of the civilian.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Getting back on topic; I picked up a Fish Hunter for both serrated cutting ability combined with high puncturing ability plus fixed blade quick deployment use in cutting and and/or draining garbage while participating in kayak based litter pickups. It has excelled at that task. Looking forward to the Waterway as a PlainEdge companion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 pm
I'm working on a DoDo but got other priorities ATM but at US$50 even though not a fan of stainless I couldn't pass it up / plus being on the forum less risk than eBay.

FYI as a general rule I like bigger knives than smaller knives, not a fan of fiddle delicate things lol

Yeah I tend to like bigger blades for everyday usage myself. But the Dodo in SE is truly something special. The Dodo in PE makes a nice little back-up folder.

Now the Harpy is a true Hawkbill whereas the Civilian is a "Reverse S" blade design. The Civi is a true self defense blade whereas the Harpy is a utility Hawkbill with specialized purposes. Many people feel like the two of them are in the same sector but they are totally different I can assure you.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 am
500Nitro wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Yeah I tend to like bigger blades for everyday usage myself. But the Dodo in SE is truly something special. The Dodo in PE makes a nice little back-up folder.

Now the Harpy is a true Hawkbill whereas the Civilian is a "Reverse S" blade design. The Civi is a true self defense blade whereas the Harpy is a utility Hawkbill with specialized purposes. Many people feel like the two of them are in the same sector but they are totally different I can assure you.
Both Hawkbills and "Reverse S" blades are much better in Spyderedge. Actually there is vast comparison between PE & SE versions of those types of knives IMO.