The Shibui knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

The Shibui knife

Post by spyderwolf »

Shibui is a japanese concept which defines an enriched, subdued appearance of intrinsically fine quality with economy of form, line, and effort, producing a timeless tranquility.
The seven elements of shibui are simplicity, implicity, modesty, naturalness, everydayness, imperfection, and silence.The colors is gray.
I found all of those atributes are reunite in the Polestar.At first glance it's a humble liner lock with a leaf shape blade,and G10 scales.But over time you will discover the subtle texture are beautiful color of the scales,the small mini choil of the handle,the sharp jimping on the hump of the blade and it's sharp edge.
It's a confident knife,who doesn't pretend to be more than it is,because he knows he is all you will ever realy need,and that it's beauty exudes from it's thoughness.
It's a knife of acerbic good taste,to quote James A. Michener,and it's place should be in the Spyderco hall of fame.
Attachments
polestar.jpg
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
SF Native

Re: The Shibui knife

Post by SF Native »

Cool. Nice post. This is how I feel about the sage 2.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Wonderfully-put. You have convinced me to want to get a Pole Star.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:42 am
Wonderfully-put. You have convinced me to want to get a Pole Star.
Thanks.Go for it,you will love it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Wolf,

Thanx for the analogy.

I spent a great deal of time and thought on the Polestar for a long period of time. I believe it is one of my better designs. I carry one quite a bit and frankly I've been disappointed in the reaction from the market. Maybe just too subdued? I've been working on a mid lock-back variation.

We might, with your permission, "steal" your concept for an ad?

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:32 am
Hey Wolf,

Thanx for the analogy.

I spent a great deal of time and thought on the Polestar for a long period of time. I believe it is one of my better designs. I carry one quite a bit and frankly I've been disappointed in the reaction from the market. Maybe just too subdued? I've been working on a mid lock-back variation.

sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks for your great designs. I don't own a polestar, but the simplicity and ergonomics are right up my alley, and I do really like the look and simplicity in the knife. I think a lock-back variation would probably be better received by many (including myself). Having it produced in China doesn't bother me (it might turn some off), but BD1 isn't my favorite steel... not sure about other steel options for production in China... doesn't have to be a "super steel". In some ways I might even prefer 8Cr13MoV (cheaper? without the shipping costs moving the steel from US to China), and it has the same amount of carbon, but with less chromium and a little vanadium thrown in.

My big question for you, however, is what you perceive the key differences being between the Tenacious (which I love), and the Polestar. They look very similar in size, blade shape, and potentially ergonomics. I think if you can differentiate it from some of the other budget line knives, it may get more of a following.

Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

captnvegtble wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 am
sal wrote:
Hey Wolf,

Thanx for the analogy.

sal
Hi Sal,

Thanks for your great designs. I don't own a polestar, but the simplicity and ergonomics are right up my alley, and I do really like the look and simplicity in the knife. I think a lock-back variation would probably be better received by many (including myself). Having it produced in China doesn't bother me (it might turn some off), but BD1 isn't my favorite steel... not sure about other steel options for production in China... doesn't have to be a "super steel". In some ways I might even prefer 8Cr13MoV (cheaper? without the shipping costs moving the steel from US to China), and it has the same amount of carbon, but with less chromium and a little vanadium thrown in.

My big question for you, however, is what you perceive the key differences being between the Tenacious (which I love), and the Polestar. They look very similar in size, blade shape, and potentially ergonomics. I think if you can differentiate it from some of the other budget line knives, it may get more of a following.

Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.
Capt.,
I think the steel is a fine choice. I agree that a back
lock would be a good feature and further distinguish the Polestar from the Tenacious, etc. I like the ergonomics of the handle a lot and I actually prefer the blade shape over the Para Military 2. With the addition of a back lock and retention of BD1, I would replace my Para Military 2 with a Polestar.

Here are a few points you might consider:

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

captnvegtble wrote:

The steel is 100% the key difference. The other differences are minor and I wouldn't call them "key". It seems to be for people who want the budget build of China but without sacrificing good US blade quality. Other than that, it's slightly lighter at 3.9 oz compared to the Tenacious at 4.1 oz. One thing I don't see mentioned much is that the liners on the Polestar seem thinner than the Tenacious, which of course means the lock is thinner. That may be why it is lighter.

This is a great video comparing them

https://youtu.be/Rif2z_-L0Vs
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

sal wrote:
Hey Wolf,

Thanx for the analogy.

sal
Of course,Sal,i would be honored.
I cant believe it didnt do better on the market.I think the Polestar is a master piece and it's place is in the Spyderco hall of fame,right along side the Military or the Delica.
I also believe a back lock will sell better,but i love the liner lock.
I hope you will not discontinue the Polestar,but just to be on the safe side,i will buy another (i have safe queens for all my users-D4,E4,Streat Beat and Bowie).
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:35 pm
captnvegtble wrote:

The steel is 100% the key difference. The other differences are minor and I wouldn't call them "key". It seems to be for people who want the budget build of China but without sacrificing good US blade quality. Other than that, it's slightly lighter at 3.9 oz compared to the Tenacious at 4.1 oz. One thing I don't see mentioned much is that the liners on the Polestar seem thinner than the Tenacious, which of course means the lock is thinner. That may be why it is lighter.
The Tenacious and Polestar are worlds apart.Yeah,they have many things in common,but the details are everything.I had 2 Tenacious,and i liked them,but never loved them.With the Polestar it was love at first sight,and got only stronger with time.

spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

spyderwolf wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:30 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
captnvegtble wrote:

The Tenacious and Polestar are worlds apart.Yeah,they have many things in common,but the details are everything.I had 2 Tenacious,and i liked them,but never loved them.With the Polestar it was love at first sight,and got only stronger with time.
sal

Post by sal »

Nice review. Thanx to the reviewer and the poster.

When Eric and I designed the Tenacious, we were looking at a particular market. We worked on the design for more than a year, changed the lock 3 times and the general shape more than a dozen times, 1/2 mm to 1 mm at a time. It has been a good combination of the features we both wanted and has been well received. More so than the Polestar.

The Polestar was designed also for a particular market, but it was different than the Tenacious. I also worked on the 2 (Polestar and Alcyone) for more than a year, again modifying details a very small amount at a time.

While there are similarities between the two, they differ considerably in the details.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

BornIn1500 wrote:
captnvegtble wrote:

Am i the only one who found this guy's sense of humor freaking hilarious?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 pm
Am i the only one who found this guy's sense of humor freaking hilarious?

If you haven't seen the other knife reviews on his channel, you're missing out. His humor is awesome. I think he's the best reviewer on YouTube. And no, I'm not him and have no affiliation with him.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

1541410619405999.jpg
This thread inspired me to let my workbeater tenacious have some time off.
Good timing as im running out of usable blade On it.
I used to use both at work, but at some point i Just forgot that i had the polestar.
Now it is back in the workpants where it belongs.

Longtime lurker
First time poster :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Welcome.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum Mom3ntuM.

I like the look of that well-used blade.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Thanks guys :)
James Dean
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mom3ntuM,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your tie here. Thanx for sharing.

sal
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Thank you Sal,
I have and i Will 💃
James Dean