The Shibui knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: The Shibui knife

Post by spyderwolf »

I think the Polestar doesn't do that great on the market primarily because of the liner lock.Lately this lock became the black sheep of knife locks because of snobs who want performance in void.The liner lock is so simple and intuitive it's dismissed by people who are afraid they wont be able to hang their cars on the blade when they go hunting for orcs.Of course there are stronger locks,but in real life 99.9% of us will do more than fine with a liner lock.If anyone will just look past the lock,at the actual knife,the wouldn't compare it with Tenacious,but with the PM or the Manix.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:00 am
1541410619405999.jpg
This thread inspired me to let my workbeater tenacious have some time off.
Good timing as im running out of usable blade On it.
I used to use both at work, but at some point i Just forgot that i had the polestar.
Now it is back in the workpants where it belongs.

Longtime lurker
First time poster :)
Welcome!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I had a polestar briefly (gave it to a friend as their introduction to spyderco knives) and it's a highly refined design.

I think I actually might like it better as a lockback, but I can't explain why that would be the case. The linerlock version is fantastic and well-made.

perhaps I'm just used to moving my fingers to the spine to unlock, since I mostly carry compression locks.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think the overall resemblance to the Tenacious obscured, for many people, it’s more elegant and refined characteristics. The name Polestar, didn’t help to establish its unique identity. While I agree with a few others that it is a subtle masterwork of design refinements, we are unfortunately in the minority.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I do not dislike the Tenacious or Polestar, but neither of them has anything on the Raven 2 for me.
IMO, the Raven 2 is Spyderco's/Sal's home run in this segment.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would buy a backlock one to try out bd1n. The Linerlock was the only reason I haven't tried one out already.

I would also love for it to be Swedish Racing Green, so it can match my Volvo! (Polestar is Volvo's performance moniker)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:47 pm
I do not dislike the Tenacious or Polestar, but neither of them has anything on the Raven 2 for me.
IMO, the Raven 2 is Spyderco's/Sal's home run in this segment.

Some people, like me, really don't like that finger choil taking away blade edge on the Raven. There is plenty of handle on the Polestar so a choil isn't necessary and the design already puts your finger in the "choked up" position right at the edge. I fail to see why an added choil would be preferred. :confused: But hey, if you like it, that's great.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it’s a great design. I’d be all over a back lock version - actually, a back lock Alcyone is what I want. Not into 3.5 inchers.
- best wishes, Jazz.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

This has been an interesting discussion with lots of good information. Thanks!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

My safe queen is on it's way. :cool: