Would you really want LC200N in a non-Salt knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Would you really want LC200N in a non-Salt knife?

Post by awa54 »

The topic of making LC200N a "base" steel in place of S30V has been raised, but I think this would be a terrible decision, because of the steels corrosion resistance.

If you sell a knife with a "rustproof" blade my bet is that 75% or more of buyers will expect the knife as a unit to be rustproof as well. In my view this would either obligate Spyderco to re-work everything that got LC200N blades as a full-on Salt offering, or it would provoke endless forum rants/whines/warranty claims as well as the righteous ire of the collective YT knife reviewing community, when hardware on the non-Salt knives rusted. There's a reason that the N5 Salt isn't just an LC200N blade slapped in to a standard N5 LW handle...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Bloke

Re: Would you really want LC200N in a non-Salt knife?

Post by Bloke »

I’m looking forward to Gringo’s Waterway. Firstly for a chance to try LC200N and secondly for the sake of having a truly corrosion proof fixed blade other than my Vanax SC with a wooden handle.

No real interest in an LC200N folder particularly if a bimetallic oxidation issue does indeed exist.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Fair point, but when it comes to corrosion i deal with it far, far more on blades than on hardware. Doesn't really matter what kind of steel used for the blade.

To put it another way, I've dealt with corrosion on stainless blades. I've never needed to deal with corrosion on hardware or liners. If LC200N costs as much or more than S30V or 204P, then stick with S30V or 204p. If it can be had for less, I'd personally go with LC200N.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm
I’m looking forward to Gringo’s Waterway. Firstly for a chance to try LC200N and secondly for the sake of having a truly corrosion proof fixed blade other than my Vanax SC with a wooden handle.

No real interest in an LC200N folder particularly if a bimetallic oxidation issue does indeed exist.
I'm sure it does exist as much as a rusting S110V blade exists. Will it ever really affect the normal guy is the real question, imo.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

"endless forum rants/whines/warranty claims"

As if that doesn't already exist...

Don't promote the knife like normal salt series knives. Just promote it for what it is. People would be happy. People would be mad, like anything else.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I buy DLC blades for extra corrosion resistance. I'd be happy with LC200N replacing S30V if it had equal edge holding, toughness, and the cost was comparable or less than DLC S30V.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:11 pm
The topic of making LC200N a "base" steel in place of S30V has been raised, but I think this would be a terrible decision, because of the steels corrosion resistance.

If you sell a knife with a "rustproof" blade my bet is that 75% or more of buyers will expect the knife as a unit to be rustproof as well. In my view this would either obligate Spyderco to re-work everything that got LC200N blades as a full-on Salt offering, or it would provoke endless forum rants/whines/warranty claims as well as the righteous ire of the collective YT knife reviewing community, when hardware on the non-Salt knives rusted. There's a reason that the N5 Salt isn't just an LC200N blade slapped in to a standard N5 LW handle...
Yes, this exactly. I was planning on writing an almost identical post in response to the same thread.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 pm
Bloke wrote:

I'm sure it does exist as much as a rusting S110V blade exists. Will it ever really affect the normal guy is the real question, imo.
Yeah, the issue does exist compared to H1 but (assuming we are talking about a non salt knife with an lc200n blade) not one out of a thousand would ever see the issue. If a knife with an Lc200n blade were subjected to an environment extreme enough to corrode the hardware and leave slight staining at the contact points then the same knife in any other steel would not only show the same hardware corrosion but would be completely covered in surface rust. I guess my point is that if you just dropped an Lc200n blade into a standard folder then it wouldn’t be a full “Salt” but it would still be FAR more corrosion resistant than a s30v/s90v/s110v knife.

All that said, I still agree with the op that it could quite possibly end up biting Spyderco in the *** from a marketing/consumer expectation standpoint. I don’t know, if they make one I’ll buy it, but I’d just as soon see them reserve steels like H1 and Lc200n for full blown Salt knives.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:46 pm
Bloke wrote:

Yeah, the issue does exist compared to H1 but (assuming we are talking about a non salt knife with an lc200n blade) not one out of a thousand would ever see the issue. If a knife with an Lc200n blade were subjected to an environment extreme enough to corrode the hardware and leave slight staining at the contact points then the same knife in any other steel would not only show the same hardware corrosion but would be completely covered in surface rust. I guess my point is that if you just dropped an Lc200n blade into a standard folder then it wouldn’t be a full “Salt” but it would still be FAR more corrosion resistant than a s30v/s90v/s110v knife.

All that said, I still agree with the op that it could quite possibly end up biting Spyderco in the *** from a marketing/consumer expectation standpoint. I don’t know, if they make one I’ll buy it, but I’d just as soon see them reserve steels like H1 and Lc200n for full blown Salt knives.
I've not heard any complaints about knives with z-finite or cronidur not being totally rust proof. Perhaps those were sold to normal consumers who aren't as fussy. Or perhaps people on the forums are too fussy?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sure I would like to see LC200N in other types of knives. I bet it would be a great kitchen/culinary knife steel as well for starters. Also if I ever get my on big wish and they would do a Sprint Run of the original TEMPERANCE 1 model again in PE & SE both >> then I hope they use LC200N in that Sprint Run if it could ever happen. Because I'm now hearing that LC200N is not a bad Spyderedge steel.

But in one sense I can see where you're coming from because it does seem to fit the Salt Series very well along with H-1
Mattysc42

Post by Mattysc42 »

I would. Lc200n is a great all rounder steel without any downsides, aside from maybe price. The problem is that people focus so much on a single attribute (corrosion resistance) that they ignore the other good things about the steel. Much like how some people react to the idea of tough tool steels like 3v/4v in folders. :rolleyes:
BRING ON THE MANIX XL SPRINTS AND EXCLUSIVES! And 10v or K390ify the Golden lineup, please.

Top 5 folders I’ve owned: Serrated Caribbean Leaf, Shaman, Manix XL, ZDP-189/CF Caly 3.5, Native LW.
Top 5 steels I’ve owned: LC200N, K390, CPM S90V, M390, CPM REX45.
Top 3 steels I want more of: M390 class, A11 class (including K390), CPM REX45.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would be happy about “salt” knives that are rustproof with lc200n and non-corrosive metals and/or plastic handles as long as they aren’t all marketed as salt models with bright yellow handles. the spydiechef is a great example of this, especially now that it has a ceramic detent ball so it won’t rust. it’s not a salt knife, but it is still rustproof. i’d love to see more models like that. the native salt could be a good example too. it doesn’t have to be marketed as a salt knife even though it is rustproof.
based on what i’ve read of lc200n, i’d love to see it in more knives and it would make a great edc steel as long as it doesn’t live up against another metal that can cause rust.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 pm
i would be happy about “salt” knives that are rustproof with lc200n and non-corrosive metals and/or plastic handles as long as they aren’t all marketed as salt models with bright yellow handles. the spydiechef is a great example of this, especially now that it has a ceramic detent ball so it won’t rust. it’s not a salt knife, but it is still rustproof. i’d love to see more models like that. the native salt could be a good example too. it doesn’t have to be marketed as a salt knife even though it is rustproof.
based on what i’ve read of lc200n, i’d love to see it in more knives and it would make a great edc steel as long as it doesn’t live up against another metal that can cause rust.
The Spydiechef is considered a part of the "SALT Series" and advertised that way. 2018 Catalog for reference.

On changing the base steel from S30V to something else - I like S30V and don't feel that it needs to be switched out but I'm not completely against the idea.
I do agree that LC200N would be the wrong steel choice for reasons mentioned in this thread. Spyderco is the only company using it in their production line at the moment. Sounds like it's difficult or expensive to source.

I like that Spyderco has used H1 and LC200n exclusively in their SALT series, so far. It helps to distinguish itself in their product line in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:06 pm
The Spydiechef is considered a part of the "SALT Series" and advertised that way. 2018 Catalog for reference.

On changing the base steel from S30V to something else - I like S30V and don't feel that it needs to be switched out but I'm not completely against the idea.
I do agree that LC200N would be the wrong steel choice for reasons mentioned in this thread. Spyderco is the only company using it in their production line at the moment. Sounds like it's difficult or expensive to source.

I like that Spyderco has used H1 and LC200n exclusively in their SALT series, so far. It helps to distinguish itself in their product line in my opinion.
i stand corrected. i guess is just like to see more salt versions that aren’t bright yellow. specifically, self defense blades like the yojimbo (as i’ve said before), but any edc knife could be made better with lower maintenance steel. lc200n seems like the great compromise between the main factors everyone cares about for edc. i’m sure people would still want harder steels, but if lc200n competes with s30v in retention and is better in every other way, why would anyone not want that for an edc over s30v? maybe price...? but it’s only $20 for at least similar edge retention and a completely rustproof blade that you never have to worry about.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'd like a Military with a LC200N blade since I've had quite a bit of corrosion on S30V while sailing. No issues with the hardware, but ideally that would be adjusted to have better corrosion resistance too so I could treat it almost as badly as I do my Salts :D
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

I also think that scratch resistance, or lack thereof, could be a problem for casual knife buyers. I absolutely love my Chef, but it scratches if I look at it wrong.

That being said, I can’t get enough of it. I love the way it performs and can’t wait to get more.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

NoFair wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 am
I'd like a Military with a LC200N blade since I've had quite a bit of corrosion on S30V while sailing. No issues with the hardware, but ideally that would be adjusted to have better corrosion resistance too so I could treat it almost as badly as I do my Salts :D
Are you sure its not a reaction between the blade steel and the hardware, and the rust coming from the hardware? While I havent used my PM2 S30V in or on salt water, I live in a coastal enviroment. The blade is not giving issue but the hardware is.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

husq2100 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 am
NoFair wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 am
Are you sure its not a reaction between the blade steel and the hardware, and the rust coming from the hardware? While I havent used my PM2 S30V in or on salt water, I live in a coastal enviroment. The blade is not giving issue but the hardware is.
It's ocean sailing so we get drenched by waves at times. It's only on the blade and nothing on the hardware so I'd say it's the blade steel. It's also located evenly on the blade and not concentrated around the pivot which I would expect if it was affected by the liners and screws.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Or perhaps people on the forums are too fussy?

Bingo!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I think VG10 has proven itself over the years to offer ample corrosion-resistance in the sometimes humid world of gardening. Just clean and dry it after use.

I don’t see LC200N dislodging VG10 in that non-Salt role, especially as the former is not exceptionally better than the latter in fracture- or wear-resistance.

The conversation would be different if LC200N had wear-resistance more like S30V, as I had originally and wrongly thought it to have.

Regardless, I’m glad to have an easily-maintained SpydieChef, which is light-years ahead of PE H1 for wear-resistance.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”