Sheeple Friendly Spyders?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tucson Tom

Re: Sheeple Friendly Spyders?

Post by Tucson Tom »

This is ultimately all about mindset. It has been said that there are two kinds of people: thermometers and thermostats. Most people are thermometers, taking a reading from their environment. A few are thermostats -- influencing the world around them. What I find hilarious, or at least ironic, is the whole question about "sheeple friendly knives". Does anyone else see the irony here? Who are the sheeple really? Being a thermostat is fundamentally an issue of courage.

I should make one thing clear. I am not advocating being some wild eyed knife advocate. Everyone has a reputation. The people you work with and spend time with know if you are honest, a hard worker, level headed, reliable, or otherwise. Above all polite. And if they see you pull out your PM2 to open a box, they will say (hopefully), "Hey look, Tom carries a knife". Maybe some of the knife carrying sheeple you work with will be influenced to stop being so sheepish and carry whatever is legal and within the rules.

On the other hand, if you are some nut case who stands around flipping your knife open and closed, people around you have already drawn conclusions, not based on what knife you carry, but on your behavior. As I have already said, most people won't even know I am carrying a knife, never mind what size or sort.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I kindly disagree>> I think a much better comparison is that people are like programmable computers>> in otherwise garbage in, garbage out. I do think that people are truly programmed by a myriad of external forces like cults, religions, political movements or even to some degree the very environment they are subjected to from childhood on. And sad to say there are very few people anymore that are truly objective thinkers that are really truly searching for the ultimate "truth".

The mainstream media especially here in the USA whether it be the nightly garbage news that it totally corporately controlled or the movies that people seem to live most of their lives for or which is the coolest new cell phone that people go after like a bunch of mind controlled herd animals. Like it or not the mindset of the vast majority of the people today unfortunately on a downward slant :( .

And to make a Spyderco ( or any pocketknife for that matter) sheeple friendly you've got to get beyond the paradigm that most people are caught up in at this time. Because when I was a kid growing up in the late 60s people just didn't think like most people think in the mode that people are thinking in at this present time. So yes appearance will make a big difference. Even what name the companies give their knives is a factor>> because I had one guy tell me when I owned a Spyderco POLICE model that he wouldn't buy it from me because he said it was only legal for Police to own and use it>> and that's only been about 10 years ago when that happened to me. It's probably worse in some instances now.

But there has got to be a formula or strategy for making these folders "Sheeple Friendly" or maybe it's a lost cause and "IT JUST IS WHAT IT IS" :(
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Why do you care what other people think?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:50 pm
Because if we don't they will gradually take more things / freedoms away from us
- guns, knives, etc
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ok. A short story. When I was walking I was a member of our local color guard made up of vets in town. One day, after we had marched carrying the colors in uniform I went back downtown to check out our Octoberfest celebrations. Like many in our color guard I was carrying my SR9c openly. We were in the armed forces after all and wanted people to remember that.

I was accosted by a friend in the street over both my uniform and gun. I managed to turn that into a discussion in which I pointed out that because of our military and right to bear arms, he had the freedom to disagree and discuss this with me. Gave him a pause. He had no answer for that. We parted on amicable terms and later became good friends. He may still be personally against guns but he understands why they may be necessary.

I think moving the situation to a calm and reasonable discussion, when possible, is the thing to try for. You may not change minds but you can give some reality checks which is better than making things worse.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 am
Over the years in literally dozens of posts here at Spyderville there has been many mentions made of knives and other gear as being "Sheeple Friendly".
I can fully relate to that because almost daily I encounter some poor pathetic media-brainwashed soul who thinks that a simple pocketknife is truly a terrorist's weapon :eek: >> when we all here know that just the opposite is true ;) I frequently encounter certain people that when they see me using one of my Spyders you would think that I had pulled out a Black Mamba, Spitting Cobra or even an UZI out of my pocket when you see their reactions to me simply using one of my pocketknives :rolleyes: . And I'm talking about grown, adult people too :confused:

Now I will admit that my personal EDCs ( M390 Military and Stainless RESCUE models) are probably more than what most guys here in Missouri carry on a daily basis but I truly work with my Spyderco EDCs on a daily basis and I'm always extremely careful with them>> and in most cases I try to conceal them. But you would think that by some of the reactions I get that I must be a member of "ISIS" or some other terrorist group :confused: . Which unfortunately shows you how "media-brainwashed" many of our fellow citizens are in this great country ( USA) in our modern age. So in some instances where I have to work at or when I have to do some job around a bunch of pathetically brainwashed souls I go out of my way to use a Spyder that I deem to be more "Sheeple Friendly.

I have found that certain colors, the overall size of the knife, certain blade designs and how clean the knife is are a few examples of what seems to put the sheep people at ease :rolleyes: How do you all adjust to the current environment when using your Spyders? What do you all find that puts people in a less anxious state of mind when using your Spyders? How do we make our EDCs "Sheeple Friendly" :rolleyes: ??
I have found that it is more the dress and demeanor of the person holding the knife, than the knife they are holding.
I was in NYC not to long ago. I carried and used my Caribbean as I would have any other day, no one so much as batted an eye.

But, I am a clean cut, well spoken guy with a jolly disposition.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If you're an anti social weirdo who can't hold a conversation with someone without being "us vs. them" you're going to get a bad reaction, the knife just amplifies it. If you're a reasonable person, talking to a reasonable person, the "why do you have a knife?" reaction is just a conversation starter
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

These last two comments hit the nail on the head. It is not the knife as much as it is the person.

Heck, I am a knife friendly person, but when I run into a weirdo with a knife, even I get nervous.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 am
When it isn’t strange to see someone with a Glock or wheel gun on their hip around here or the church people packing Sunday mornings, carrying a knife is a non-issue.

People who are afraid of weapons aren’t sheep and those of us who carry them aren’t sheep dogs. Thinking like that furthers the distance and distrust between those who support the right to have arms and those who don’t. Conversation is more helpful than labels.
Ahhhhh, well, I've been around firearms and knives forever. "Collecting" them is new to me though and there is no end in sight.

It is absolutely true that people who are afraid of weapons aren't sheep. I've handled and shot darn near everything and the word "respect" does not quite capture the feeling. I respect firearms and I fear them too. Having taken quite a few martial arts involving machetes, knives and non weapon arts, I fear them as well, that is why I carry. If anyone has to have a knife, then I beg, let it be me as I do not know where the other guy/gal is coming from.

As far as those who carry not being sheep dogs I can see that for everyone else who may be a target, but as for my family and pets, I'll defend them. I am the barrier an offender must pass through. I do not see myself as your guardian however. But don't take offense, I simply cannot be expected to watch every person and listen to every conversation and settle every dispute.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Tucson Tom wrote:
I agree. I also do not care what anyone else thinks, except for the law and the courts. I always try to follow the letter of the law when it comes to weapons.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Most people I believe just wanted to fit in with their environments so they care to some extent. With that being said I sometimes walk with a Manix 2 XL when taking the dog out for a 2 mile walk in the subdivision. At work i carry either a Para3 or PM2 based on how the day looks. I'm not going to carry a Civilian to work but only to the shady gas station that I go to sometimes. By saying that my environment fortells what knife I'm going to carry. But I dont give a *@#$ what people think ultimately as well. If I want looks then I'll pullout the 4" serrated Civilian to open a piece of mail!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like the "David and Goliath" combo, such as a Military and a Ladybug. Really though some people these days will freak out over a Ladybug too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I have never in my life (even with extensive travel) encountered anyone that acted as if a knife was a weapon of war, or anyone who has even made a comment aside from a joke (someone saw my Cold Steel 4-max and said "d*** man, you got some enemies!!" but they also wanted to hold it and thought it was cool. My military gets comments as well... "got a big enough knife?"). A knife is nothing to me, a simple every day tool that is a part of life. I'm glad I'm not surrounded by a bunch of paraoid, opinionated people that know close to nothing about knives while acting as if they do. Good luck with that guys!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have never, ever, ever had anyone raise an eyebrow, make a stink, ask me "Is that legal!" or have any sort of negative response to me using any Spyderco I've owned.

I have the Police 4 clipped to my side pant pocket tonight, clearly visible to the world. I'm at work and I won't think twice about using it in front of coworkers or customers.

I also EDC a fixed blade on my belt, and don't think twice about using it either.

I think it's important for people reading these threads to know in some places, this will never be an issue. I've travelled all over the US and it's always been a non-issue.

I make a point to always try my best to follow city, state and federal knife laws. Other than that, I do not let anyone dictate what I carry and use.

I've worked in warehouses, offices, fine dining, and as an overnight wilderness security guard. Carrying a Szabo folder, Manix XL, Street Beat, Police, Military, Swick or SE Pacific Salt has never been questioned.

I think part of it is how you carry yourself. I don't fidget with my knives, nor flick them. They stay in my pocket unless something needs cut. I finish the job without being flashy, and put it away. I don't act nervous or like I'm afraid if someone sees me. Because I'm not. People open carry fixed blades and glocks in the grocery store where I live, no one cares about a pocket clip.
:unicorn
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I was at a restaurant once and enjoying a nice steak with my street beat. An elderly woman was seated next to me and she kept looking at me. Of course the steak knife I left on the table was definitely bigger but not sharper. Finally she had enough and she said "how's the steak? It looks delicious." I told her it was very good and she ordered one herself. Never mentioned the knife and didn't seem bothered by it at all.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:41 pm

I think part of it is how you carry yourself....
This.

I work with senior citizens at a senior facility. Not one person has ever batted an eye at my knife. And they voice their opinions about everything. From politics to dusty ledges. But I think it’s mainly because I don’t go around flicking, fidgeting, or flashing. Like you said, it comes out to cut, and straight back into the pocket. No show. No fuss.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I usually carry 2, something little for opening packages or whatever which is “unassuming” and something big enough to cut an apple at lunch, or whatever. CCW is prohibited in my office, and the “workplace violence policy” specifies that a “common pocket knife” is OK, whatever that is. I prefer the Delica and para 3 for this role since it’s small enough that length alone should keep me in the clear. Otherwise, I simply don’t worry about what people think. As others have stated, it’s about bearing and behavior.

I’m willing to show them and talk about them, but I DO NOT loan knives unless they’re already proven safe users. Learned that the hard way with a Benchmade mini Stryker and some birthday toy opening. The numbnuts I passed the knife to cut through wire ties rather than just untwisting them. Took quite a bit of elbow grease to fix the edge. Never again.