Spyderco factory second warranty

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oketsuu

Spyderco factory second warranty

Post by oketsuu »

First post here. I’ve been a long time spyderco fan and I have been to the factory seconds sale two years in a row now. This year I was mostly looking for a shaman and I found one. A couple people also brought two more to me so I could choose the best one. Anyway I chose the one with the best centering and action. Unfortunately when I got home I noticed it had vertical play when applying pressure on the spine - light pressure with hand only. If I move it fast enough I can even hear clicking.

My question is: what is the factory second warranty? I was under the impression that the seconds are to be sold with visual problems only - the locks should function like a regular spyderco with no play. I disassembled the knife and noticed that the problem is due to the compression lock tab being deformed on the top so it’s unlikely to go away with break in - although I’ve been flicking it non-stop to see if it helps.

What do you guys think I should do?
cần giúp việc ở lại giá rẻ, công ty tuyển người nấu ăn theo giờ toàn quốc, dịch vụ thuê người trông nhà ngày tết tận tâm
jabba359

Re: Spyderco factory second warranty

Post by jabba359 »

Welcome to the forum!

The seconds include visual problems as well as minor functional issues (lock stick, gritty action, warped/uncentered blades, etc.), but only issues that don't compromise the safety. Minor blade play and clicking locks are annoying, but should still lock up safely. If you do a forum search, you'll find posts about regular knives (not seconds) that have blade play and possible solutions for "tuning" the play out, so not all locks are totally free of play even on non-seconds. Now, if your knife is unsafe because of the lock, then maybe you have a case for replacement or repair.

As they say, if you want to completely eliminate blade play, get a fixed blade.;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I thought there is no warranty for seconds. That is why they are sold as seconds.

Joe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:13 am
I thought there is no warranty for seconds. That is why they are sold as seconds.

Joe

That's what I've always understood to be true as well, Joe.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm pretty sure you're SOL on warranty, but I'm also fairly sure Spyderco wouldn't even sell a knife as a second if it were unsafe to use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

From the //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=81512 posting on the home page...

• Spyderco factory second products are not covered under our standard warranty policy.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Oketsuu,

welcome to our forum.

sal
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Are you saying where the compression lock normally wedges itself in between the stop pin and the tang, its not touching the stop pin like it normally would? If so, how much of a gap is there? The only thing I can think of is that as it wears in and you start getting a later lockup that it may remedy itself, IF the gap is small enough, and IF I'm correctly understanding what you are describing, lol.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, no warranty. Caveat Emptor and all that.

I got burned pretty bad on a factory second that I really wish I hadn't bought and that in my opinion shouldn't have been sold as a factory second. It was expensive even for a factory second and the blade was cracked. Lesson learned, inspect them better.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?