The Tale of Two Rhinos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

The Tale of Two Rhinos

Post by SpyderNut »

Earlier this week, I was pleased to receive one of the original Reinhold Rhinos from Spyderco, made in Tai Pei, Taiwan. (Thank you again, Eric and Alex!) Although the original Tai Pei Rhino never made it to market, I thought it would be interesting to show a few side-by-side pictures of the original Tai Pei Rhino along with the Taichung Rhino. As you will likely notice, the two models are almost identical, but there are a few subtle differences. Can you spot the differences? (The Tai Pei version is also .3 oz heavier than the Taichung version). The fit-and-finish and lock-up on this particular Tai Pei specimen is very good. Although we will likely never know how the Tai Pei version would have been received, I will always be very grateful that Spyderco decided to keep the Rhino alive by moving production to Taichung.

Thanks for reading,

-Michael

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
knivesandbooks

Re: The Tale of Two Rhinos

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love my Rhino. I do like the look of the flush screws on the Tai Pei one more
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In some weird way I like it better in G10. It even seems almost more classy than the CF.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

I see one fewer screw near the lock, and the gap between the two scales is wider on one version, while the scales themselves are thinner. Can't say which version is which on those pics. Oh, and on the back view, the locking geometry looks different somehow.

Cool to see the two versions compared like this. Thanks!

The reworked Taichung version looks better to me.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

That's very cool to see what might have been, versus the final version... Both look great, but the Taichung knife certainly has a more polished presentation. It's hard not to like the projected price of the original version, but the knife as delivered is just as good a value in its own way (having better materials and finish quality).

Neat that you got to have an original to see what your design could have been. Having both in hand, what are your feelings about the two variants?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Rpp

Post by Rpp »

I would love to have a G10 Rhino and would pay for one if they come up at a seconds sale.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

For a model that was entirely pulled for QC issues, it looks pretty good to me. Says a lot about Spyderco’s standards, though.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Here are some differences I noticed:

Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I’m guessing enough of the original batch failed inspection to get the whole lot rejected. This one might have been the best of the bunch, only Spyderco knows. For the record, I’d buy less expensive model in a lesser steel & handle material because the design raises the whole. Same goes for an FRN model.
However, we really need Michael’s larger bolstered version in production, it’s a stunner! :eek: :D
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:28 pm
Here are some differences I noticed:
Very observant Michael.

I assume the stop pin is nestled between the liners and does away with the extra screws so close to the edge of the scales?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think that is the case. You can see Nick’s disassembly video which, I think, shows that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I was really excited for these to be a budget folder in BD1. I'm hoping they make it to the secondary market after the seconds sale. **** I wish I still lived in Colorado.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So I posted in the gallery some comparisons and in hand pics because I had a hard time deciding to pick one up not knowing how it would fit my hand, this one seems trickier than most. I hope it helps.
As it turns out, it’s great for my hand. A bit cramped four finger but I expected as much,(and it feels pretty locked in so it’s a trade off).Fantastic 3 finger, and pinching the blade. That little defined finger groove that I though I might have to grind off actually works perfectly when pinching, (lefty). Speaking of lefty, this knife seems like it was meant for a lefty so I couldn’t be happier with it in that regard. I can Spydie flick it, even thumb flick works although you have to think about what you are doing to lefthand thumb flick. As a lefty, I typically use a two step closing method on my compression locks so the no so free falling blade is a non issue for me. However with a little practice and a slight loosening if the pivot,(not enough to induce blade play) I can quite easily flick it closed holding the lock tab. This works either hand and I have a pretty severe right hand injury limiting grip and movement. Another thing I really like is how it fits in hand closed. Often I’ll keep my knife in my hand,(closed for safety) while doing some task. Some knives are too wide/tall or the blade sticks out in such a way that it digs in and is uncomfortable, the Rhino sits nicely and allows for some dexterity.
I wasn’t 100% sure about the blade shape as I had to modify my Farid K2 because the tip kept catching on things but with the smaller knife and different angle it is not an issue here. I’m finding it a very useful blade shape, and it of course gives the knife that unique Rhino look which also drew me to the knife. Plus we sometimes call our dog Rhino as she always goes though things rather than around,(she broke the wall with her head,lol!)
I do agree with folks about the clip not being the right choice here however. It was not comfortable. I DON’T agree that it should have been a wire clip, it would have created a horrible hotspot rendering the knife unuseable! That’s my issue with the Techno, I just can’t use it. Such a sturdy knife but when I grip tightly to use it on something tough, it digs in so bad I can’t use it for anything other than light duty tasks. Back to the Rhino, I swapped the clip for a Benchmade deep carry and it’s really a good fit. Looks good on the knife and is comfortable.
I have two small criticisms beyond the clip, much less impactful ones. First, I think the Spydie hole could be bigger. There’s room and it’d be easier to open with gloves. Second, there’s a bit of a sharp corner on the compression tab. I only noticed it because I’ve been playing with it so much but if the tab were a touch longer or slightly rounded I wouldn’t have noticed it at all. (For some reason I can’t add two pics to a post any more? so I’ll add it in a second post)
I’m happy they switched it to a high end build, love the materials and Fit&Finish. Not a sharp edge where it doesn’t belong,(other than that little corner I mentioned that I only notice after flicking it for an hour,lol!) The price is a bit high for a small knife,(about $200 delivered here in Canada) and if I had to order a $40 aftermarket clip that would have put it over the top but as it is, I had a spare clip and I knew that it would work before the purchase so I’m ok with it.
This has already become my favourite “little big knife” far surpassing the Dragonfly,(a great knife but too small of a handle for me. Even with the choil I find it doesn’t fill my hand enough) and the Techno which is too thick in the blade and of course that clip!
Sorry for the wordy post but I felt it needs/deserves a lot of attention.
700CBD47-B034-4046-8197-DBCDFC794412.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

85EFAD1F-E564-4B82-80A9-8F461D7BD40C.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

As I have said before the Rhino’s ergonomics our first class. I routinely move the clip on my knives to the show side being right-handed they only contact my fingers not my palm which works very well for me.

Mine does not have any sharp points other than the tip so perhaps there is a slight variation in manufacturing.

Team Innovation
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The slightly sharp edge isn’t really a problem but is noticeable with a lot of fidgeting. Perhaps different sized hands may notice less or maybe more. Maybe mine is a touch more noticeable than others? I just felt it was worth mentioning. Yes the ergos are fantastic, but I can’t give up clip handedness for comfort. The clip I found is a great solution for me and likely others if they don’t like the stock clip. Like I said though, I’m happy they didn’t use a wire clip because then it would be a no for me. I really wish Spyderco would just start using a nice fold over deep carry clip on some models. Even if they just sold them separately!
I just finished using it for a bunch of kitchen cutting and it work surprisingly well. Can you say “slicer”!?! Amusingly thin cucumbers slices!
Oh and how light is this thing? When I pulled it out of the box I laughed. I know it’s a small knife but it seems to be half the weight you expect when you see it, but it’s super rigid and feels rock solid.
This thing is a home run. Anyone that’s looking at it as a maybe, get it! Anyone not currently considering it, do so!
Any chance a “Grande” is in the works? With that classy bolster and perhaps wood of some kind..?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you all for the responses on the two models, I appreciate that. My apologies for being absent on the forum. I've been going through some personal stuff lately, but I hope to check in a little more often.

Anyway, back to the discussion:
awa54 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:49 am
Neat that you got to have an original to see what your design could have been. Having both in hand, what are your feelings about the two variants?

Absolutely, I was always curious what the original version looked and felt like. The Tai Pei model I received is very good, quality-wise. It feels very similar to the Taichung version in-hand, although it is a bit thicker in the scales and is heavier than the Taichung model. The Tai Pei G-10 scales are a bit smoother than the CF/G-10 laminate, which gives the knife a slightly different feel. Also, I noticed it is a bit more difficult to disengage the lock on the Tai Pei version due to it having a shallower lock relief/cutout in the bottom handle scale. The detent isn't as crisp as the Taichung model, but it is still decent. The blade action feels differently than the Taichung model, mainly because the Tai Pei model operates on Teflon washers vs. PB washers.

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

spyderg wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 pm
The slightly sharp edge isn’t really a problem but is noticeable with a lot of fidgeting. Perhaps different sized hands may notice less or maybe more. Maybe mine is a touch more noticeable than others? I just felt it was worth mentioning. Yes the ergos are fantastic, but I can’t give up clip handedness for comfort. The clip I found is a great solution for me and likely others if they don’t like the stock clip. Like I said though, I’m happy they didn’t use a wire clip because then it would be a no for me. I really wish Spyderco would just start using a nice fold over deep carry clip on some models. Even if they just sold them separately!
I just finished using it for a bunch of kitchen cutting and it work surprisingly well. Can you say “slicer”!?! Amusingly thin cucumbers slices!
Oh and how light is this thing? When I pulled it out of the box I laughed. I know it’s a small knife but it seems to be half the weight you expect when you see it, but it’s super rigid and feels rock solid.
This thing is a home run. Anyone that’s looking at it as a maybe, get it! Anyone not currently considering it, do so!
Any chance a “Grande” is in the works? With that classy bolster and perhaps wood of some kind..?

Thank you for the kind words, sir. I'm glad you like it. :) Eric has my larger Rhino Grande prototype at this time. I'm in the process of making another Grande, but this one will be full Ti with a ZiFiNit (LC200N) blade.

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

A clown helped me across the street today. I think it was a nice Jester.

:o :p Wrong thread, but I think you can guess where it was meant for.
- best wishes, Jazz.