Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jasonstone20

Re: Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Post by jasonstone20 »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am
Hi Jason,

Thanx for the response. All of what you say makes sense except for the round handle. So I guess How round is round is the question? We have found that when a folder takes up too much pocket real estate or is too "round", sales suck.

sal
sal,
Not that round. Round enough to be comfortable in hard use, but not take up insane amounts of pocket space, but a little more than say a Spyderco Delica. Like the handle of an Opinel, but if you have ever seen an MAM Opinel like folder, you can flatten the sides, or just maybe the side with the pocket clip. It is just important that the top and bottom of the handle be radiused, along with a palm swell. I can post photos of what I am talking about if that would help. The knife should be pocket friendly, but that comes second to hard use ergonomics. The basic concept is a MAM, Opinel, or Mora but with an opening hole and pocket clip. To be honest, the handle can be flat for all I care. Flat like the Emerson CQC-8. In fact like a Spyderco Para 2, or Spyderco Military, but a little more tuned for hard use/hard cutting. Basically, I want a Spyderco Police or Benchmade AFCK mixed with and Opinel/Mora/MAM.

edit:
PS. I would prefer "0.010 behind the edge, but if "0.015 is what only can be done in mass production with a full height hollow, I'd be happy. Basically pushing the limits of mass production knife making, which I know zilch about. After going to Blade Show West and seeing what can be done in a production, mid-tech, and custom knives, I think the concept should be possible with a few tweaks.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Best knife I think would be taking the PM2, making the G10 rounded (like the Shaman), eliminating the finger choil, and shifting the handle grip forward towards the blade so you're at the edge with a regular grip on the handle without "choking up". Come to think of it.... it would essentially be like taking the Polestar, chamfering it and putting a compression lock on it. Spyderco really doesn't have many compression lock knives without a finger choil. I know of the Mantra and the Lil Temperance 3. Is that all?
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tims

Post by Tims »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:36 pm
Hi Tom's,

Ed Schempp refers to his designs as having a negative angle.

sal
I see. Well, terminology aside, I hope I was able to explain what I meant anyway