Combo Edges Truly Getting A Bad Rap IMO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Combo Edges Truly Getting A Bad Rap IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

Two of my early Spyderco knives I got at the beginning were two combo edged units. One was an ATS-55 POLICE model in CE and the other was one of the early AUS-10, Stainless NATIVE models in CE. I always had good luck using those two many years ago and wish i would have kept them now. I already know that a lot of you all don't like Combo Edges for the most part but I'm here again to defend them. The past 2 days I was sharpening and using my ATS-55, C-46 Lum Tanto folder in CE and the results were very encouraging. Wednesday and Thursday of this week I used The Lum Tanto CE Folder instead of my main EDC and I was pleasantly surprised at how well that combo edged, Lum Tanto folder performed overall.

I've always like ATS-55 for serrated edges and I'm here to let you all know that I am really feeling that Spyderco's Combo Edged folders are getting a bum rap for the most part. Now I will admit that in some cases I would rather have a fully serrated folder when needing an edge with teeth. But the Combo Edge on that Lum Tanto folder was about as aggressive as it gets. And I got the rest of that Tanto blade really scary sharp with the Ultra-Fine Stone on the 204 Sharpmaker.

Who else thinks that Spyderco's Combo Edges are getting a bum rap? In about 60% of the time I need a serrated edge I'm finding that a Combo Edge does just fine IMO. I'm now wondering why Spyderco can't at least give us some fixed blades in Combo Edge being that they don't hardly give us many Spyderedged fixed blades to select from. Let's talk some more about Spyderco's really nice combo edges ( folders & fixed blades). Also tell us which blade steel you're working with?
benisben25

Re: Combo Edges Truly Getting A Bad Rap IMO

Post by benisben25 »

I certainly agree. I think they have a stigma because of so many chintzy knives that come combo edge. I have the combo edge PM2 52100 and I absolutely love it!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benisben25 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm
I certainly agree. I think they have a stigma because of so many chintzy knives that come combo edge. I have the combo edge PM2 52100 and I absolutely love it!
Well I guess you do!! I bet that 52100 in Combo Edge would be a nice set up. I've been tempted to either try a new C-36 Military or a Para2 in that blade steel because I've had 4 people I really trust tell me that is about the best high carbon steel they've ever used.

I also remember the old/discontinued "Tactical Knives" magazine used to write about that blade steel a lot. And I'm ashamed to say that I've personally never yet tried it >> but I think that might be about to change. Thanks for the great, timely input BEN :)
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Ha, I almost created a thread on this topic, i find combo edges particularly useful at my job because i slit open tons of boxes but also cut lots of polymer strapping. The plain edge is delicate but the back teeth give it more power.

Wish spyderco made more of them.
fliptide

Post by fliptide »

Just ordered a Para 3 combo, it will be my first. I really like se, but thought the ce would be a little more versatile.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

I've been waiting for a Millie in 52100 full Spyderedge. I know it's not going to happen. I should just buy the PM2 ce in 52100. It's probably the closest ill get.
Justin
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have a CE Cara Cara I use as a beater, and it works nicely. I've warmed up to the idea of CE after using it.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've also come around to the idea since learning to love serrations, but I still want them on a fairly large knife. I'm also still interested in trying the edge types flipped around or with the serrations in the middle of the blade with PE on either end.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I've always used a serrated Endura.

Never liked partial serrations.

I got an old Endura Combo in ATS55, blade needs sharpening but serrations are good to go.
Used it for a day instead of my SE, went back to SE as I don't need a plain edge and I don't need to sharpen a SE at all, it just keeps cutting.

So no, I think it's not a good choice.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I want to try a CE para2 in 52100 but ehh.
I like fully serrated with that ~.5 plain edge tip.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
fatsubie

Post by fatsubie »

I only like serrated edge on hawksbill blades.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have a benchmade 940 with combo edge lost in the back of my knife drawer. Hearing David say he has learned to love serrations makes me want to take a fresh look at it. I have always cursed myself for getting that knife with a combo blade rather than plain edge. It could be a "gateway knife" to other serrated adventures.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

My thoughts are that a serrated knife will do what a plain edge knife will do plus more AND will keep doing it / a hard task where a plain edge will dull or blunt to a point it's too much effort to cut.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Hate the combo edge. Wouldn’t buy one.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

0/10 wouldn’t recommend
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I'm going to sell my Endura combo.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I frequently carry an se and a pe blade. I know that I’d put a combo Millie to use. I have been on the fence for some time with the combo 52100 Para 2 mainly because I find combo edges are more useful in larger blades. However I’d also love to see how 52100 performs with teeth...

j
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I carried a number of combo edged knives in the 90s when that seemed like it was all I could get. I still have a CE Stretch that belonged to my father, but I am not a fan of the CE. I would rather it be full SE or PE, not both. In my opinion, this is a case where the whole (CE) is less than the sum of its parts (PE and SE).
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I imagine they got (get) a bad rep because most Chinese junk folders and gas station flippers come with it, and when your edge made of pot steel dulls on the first cut you have to resort to the teeth :o

When they are well done I like them and find them versatile, my 2 Cara Caras have CE as do other folders I have, but it's essential that they are on larger blades with longer cutting edge to be useful, and most days I'm carrying a PE and a different SE knife, so I have both available in longer cutting edges :cool:

I like them but rarely need them, if I only carried one folding knife that'd be different though and I can see their attractive in that case :spyder:

phaust

Post by phaust »

I love partial serrations like Victorinox does, with the serrations on the tip-half. The serrations grab the material there where it tends to slide off with a plane edge.

I'd be all over it if Spyderco put out some models like that.