Spyderco Bushcraft Vs. Sustain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Spyderco Bushcraft Vs. Sustain

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hey guys,

So with the discontinued model sale going on, and now this Ebay 10% coupon valid until tomorrow 10/27/2018.. I'm torn between getting either the
Bushcraft, or the Sustain because they are both going for 170 to 180 bucks! Both are excellent, and offer different qualities that I would enjoy in a fixed blade. I feel like the Bushcraft and it's O1 tool steel would be very confidence inspiring with hard use / outdoor related tasks which will be my intended use. The handle is polished g10 and from what the reviews say it is incredible ergonomically... which doesn't surprise me because it's Spyderco.

The sustain on the other hand is stainless cpm 20cv, a steel that I have been very curious about trying because I've heard it hailed as the "American M390". It is a lot bigger than the sustain, I think roughly by 2 and a half to 3 inches which would also be useful in certain outdoor tasks / in general.
Honestly they both speak to me, I am curious if there are any owners lurking around the forum or fans who could tell me what they like / don't like about these models.

Also, out of curiosity I am wondering if anyone has had experience with the Spyderco Proficient. It looks like an incredibly beautiful and function knife, but the price tag scares me a bit... although it would be about 280 after the Ebay coupon (might wait for the 20% off Black Friday who knows).

Pictures for reference!
Attachments
Proficient.JPG
sustain.JPG
bushcraft.JPG
Spyderman91

Re: Spyderco Bushcraft Vs. Sustain

Post by Spyderman91 »

For reference looks like top to bottom: Proficient, Sustain and Bushcraft.
supracor

Re: Spyderco Bushcraft Vs. Sustain

Post by supracor »

What do you want to use it for?

If you want a woodcarving tool the only answer should be the Bushcraft, but the low saber grind is a suboptimal choice

If you want a slicer the Proficient should be good, it has the best geometry but the steel isn't "hard use", especially if you lower the bevel angle or if you regrind it.

The Sustain is a mess in my opinion. I love this knife, but you can't create a 20CV pig sticker, because the first time you try to stab something you probably break the tip; moreover the swedge raise the angle of the primary grind that lower performance in cutting.

Polished g10 could be slippery, and it's the last thing you would like on a knife without a guard.