What a great tool a knife is. “PICS”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

What a great tool a knife is. “PICS”

Post by tps3443 »

Yep! Another thread! Anyways, Before this month I had never carried a knife in my entire life of almost 30 years. And I jumped in to this hobby head first! I’ve use my knife constantly, here’s just an example of a regular day. I am fixing inventory in a small parts warehouse, and I am cutting holes in about 100 of these really thick plastic bins so I can zip tie tags on each one, as I was instructed to do so. This is just 1 of the many ways my knives get abused on a daily basis. The tip on S110V does well at this! It has held up for 2 days pushing as hard as I physically can on to hard plastic up to a half inch thick sometimes. Anyways, these knives are tough as nails. And I don’t think I could make it without having itleast (2) knives on me everyday.

delete kik account permanently

delete kik account permanently
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Airlsee

Re: What a great tool a knife is. “PICS”

Post by Airlsee »

I love seeing knives used, but it seems like just a small drill and a 3/8" bit would go a long way here...save you some struggle at least. Happy cutting!
So it goes.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I think a better tool to put a hole into thick plastic would be a drill. At some point, the tip of your trusty knife is going to break off from the inevitable lateral force.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tps,

Thanx for sharing. It is true that a knife is a very handy tool, once one is accustomed to carrying one. Shame you didn't get on to it earlier in your life, but you are young and better late than never. Now you get to share and teach the young the advantages of the knife as a tool.

The mind is another great tool that to many, including myself, is discovered later than would be better. :o

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hopweaver wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 am
I think a better tool to put a hole into thick plastic would be a drill. At some point, the tip of your trusty knife is going to break off from the inevitable lateral force.
Starting holes with a knife is a common practice. It does a good job, but some care and skill is required. I've been drilling holes and starting holes with a knife tip for most of my life. Knives are usually handier than drills.

What we need now is a Spyderco pocket drill. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 am
Hopweaver wrote:
Starting holes with a knife is a common practice. It does a good job, but some care and skill is required. I've been drilling holes and starting holes with a knife tip for most of my life. Knives are usually handier than drills.

What we need now is a Spyderco pocket drill. ;)
A folding bradawl / awl would actually be bloomin’ useful...
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:34 am
Hopweaver wrote:

What we meed now is a Spyderco pocket drill. ;)
Now there's a sprint I can get behind!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

A folding spydie, maybe even an endura, with a locking awl would save the day for me!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am
I love seeing knives used, but it seems like just a small drill and a 3/8" bit would go a long way here...save you some struggle at least. Happy cutting!
Don’t have a drill at work.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Hopweaver wrote:
I’m using the knife properly, I’ve done this over and over. And could continue to do so without damage. I’m not cranking on it lol. Just push, pull, change angle push pull. And a triangle hole is cut. It works amazing! And the knife takes it like it’s nothing. It stays very sharp, so it’s actually very easy to cut holes like this all day long.

Believe it or not my factory edge chipped under light usage, after I started really using the knife, and I’ve resharpened with diamonds. It no longer chips even with harder usage. So I’m happy about that.
“My daily razor blade”
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I find Spydies cut plastic like this very well.
Used an SE for years but recently got a Combo and the straight edge (once sharpened) worked beautifully last week.

However I do agree that a drill is easier and faster.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Yea I have not had access to a drill. I’ve just been maintaining the tip up a little every night on the wicked edge. And it’s good to go stabbing again the next day. I’m done with stabbing boxes for now though. No telling what the future brings.
“My daily razor blade”
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

That's what I found as well.

Tip had to be sharp to 'get into' the plastic.
Then it was fine.

Cutting the plastic motivated me to sharpen my combo and the Straight edge end of my Serrsted Endura.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I had to use my Advocate a couple weeks ago to cut the plastic skid plate off my sister in laws car that decided to come off while doing 70 down the freeway. Cutting hard plastic is a breeze.
Josh
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Curious to hear from those who frequently need to use knives during their day job... You guys don't have a problem using your personal property for work use, especially when it might be considered hard use? I do understand that these are quality knives and are meant to be used, but I think if I was in the OP's situation I would have told my employer that I needed a proper tool, and I probably wouldn't want to use my $150+ knife to repeatedly cut holes in thick plastic over and over again.

I work in an office environment, so I don't have to put my knives through a lot at work. As an engineer, we do order a lot of components for projects and are frequently opening large packages and such, but if I get a package with staples in it or something like that, I am off to our workshop to grab a box cutter; no way I'm going to expend my personal property for work use like that.

I do understand under certain circumstances these knives can and should be used hard, but if there's something easy I can do in order to lessen the wear on my expensive knives, that's what I am going to do. If I need to use the heck out of a pocket knife at work... my company is buying me a knife and mines staying in my pocket. I know I would be pretty upset if I chipped or broke a blade during work use. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary significantly.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:15 pm
Curious to hear from those who frequently need to use knives during their day job... You guys don't have a problem using your personal property for work use, especially when it might be considered hard use
I don't know how tax law applies in the US/UK/EU but here in Australia, items purchased for work use can be claimed as a tax deduction
So if you buy $100 knife, $500 drill, $1000 iPhone, AND you use it for work, then you can decrease your taxable income by that amount - the objective to get yourself in a lower tax bracket (or claim a percentage if use for work).

So I make **** sure I use my knives in my work, which isn't hard as I have to cut boxes, pallet wrapping, Rope nets.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Xander3Zero wrote:
Curious to hear from those who frequently need to use knives during their day job... You guys don't have a problem using your personal property for work use, especially when it might be considered hard use? I do understand that these are quality knives and are meant to be used, but I think if I was in the OP's situation I would have told my employer that I needed a proper tool, and I probably wouldn't want to use my $150+ knife to repeatedly cut holes in thick plastic over and over again.

I could never relate to that mentality myself.

I bought my Spydercos to cut stuff with them. I carry them daily on the chance I'll need to do just that.

If I need to cut a hole in a thick plastic sheet, I'll probably pull out one of my knives and reverse grip it straight through. I have an awl on my multitools I could use if I need a more precise hole, but that's slower.

If there's staples in abox I just cut around them. It's not that hard to look at a box and see where there are and aren't staples.

If I accidentally chip an edge it's not the end of the world. I have a Ronin 2 that got chipped pretty good on a camping trip, no idea how...still cuts fine.

My Police 3 has been used far harder than this and it works better than the day I bought it (Ten years ago).

If I wanted to baby a knife I wouldn't spend $200 to buy high performance materials any more than I'd drop $20,000 on a nice motorcycle and never take it on the highway. I could get by with a $20 Byrd and a Leatherman.
:unicorn
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Xander3Zero wrote:

I work in an office environment, so I don't have to put my knives through a lot at work. As an engineer, we do order a lot of components for projects and are frequently opening large packages and such, but if I get a package with staples in it or something like that, I am off to our workshop to grab a box cutter; no way I'm going to expend my personal property for work use like that.

I do understand under certain circumstances these knives can and should be used hard, but if there's something easy I can do in order to lessen the wear on my expensive knives, that's what I am going to do. If I need to use the heck out of a pocket knife at work... my company is buying me a knife and mines staying in my pocket. I know I would be pretty upset if I chipped or broke a blade during work use. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary significantly.
Good point, even in the house or in the garage I'll grab a box cutter rather than my Spyderco if I'm cutting something crude or blade dulling. Just put a good edge on my relatively new Endura with my new Sharpmaker and the worst abuse it's seen so far is peeling a few Kiwis. The fruit, NOT New Zealanders. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Great to see you using and enjoying your knife tps. :cool:

According to beloved wife I’m the laziest man in Australia and she might be right so I’d have been inclined to use a battery drill to drill a hole rather than cut one, possibly strain my wrist and have to sharpen a knife as well at the end of it all. :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I carry my SG Delica every day for digging into timbers and exactly this kind of discrete hole cutting into plaster and drywall (to see what’s behind). A core drill would be too cumbersome for what I need.