Byrd serrated hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
johnsmith1212

Byrd serrated hawkbill

Post by johnsmith1212 »

Wanted to try a serrated hawkbill, but didn't want to spend the money to get the orange Spyderhawk. I ordered the Byrd serrated hawkbill. Been carrying it now for 2 weeks. My impression so far is wow! Wish I had done this sooner. It tears thru nylon wire ties, paracord, cardboard, anything I have thrown at it so far. It's not as smooth opening as my delica, not hard or rough, just not as smooth. On the other hand, I like the comet shaped opening hole better than the round Spyderco hole. Lets my fat thumb get a better purchase when opening. Not to shabby for a sub 25.00 knife. But, I will be gifting myself a orange Spyderhawk for Christmas to use kayaking and fishing.
JD Spydo

Re: Byrd serrated hawkbill

Post by JD Spydo »

johnsmith1212 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:31 am
Wanted to try a serrated hawkbill, but didn't want to spend the money to get the orange Spyderhawk. I ordered the Byrd serrated hawkbill. Been carrying it now for 2 weeks. My impression so far is wow! Wish I had done this sooner. It tears thru nylon wire ties, paracord, cardboard, anything I have thrown at it so far. It's not as smooth opening as my delica, not hard or rough, just not as smooth. On the other hand, I like the comet shaped opening hole better than the round Spyderco hole. Lets my fat thumb get a better purchase when opening. Not to shabby for a sub 25.00 knife. But, I will be gifting myself a orange Spyderhawk for Christmas to use kayaking and fishing.
I just recently had a Forum Brother ask me what I thought of the blade steel they used on those Byrd Crossbill models>> I informed him that I had never owned a Byrd knife. To the best of my memory I think the Crossbill model has "8CrMo13v". I'm tempted to try one of those Byrd Crossbill models because I've found many of those blade steels that don't make for a great PE blade but do seem to work well on Spyderedged blades. The two older Spyderco blade steels that are great examples are "GIN-1" and "AUS-8" >> both are great blade steels for Spyderedges IMO.

I've avoided Byrd knives for many reasons but I am about to cave in a get one of the Crossbill models in SE just to see how that steel works in serrated edges. I do like the blade geometry of the Crossbill so I'll let you all know when I get one and test drive it.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Another one who's found Serrated blades are great 👍
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Sounds like your knife just needs to break in to smooth out. Hawkbills are very good for utility task. Especially those plastic clamshell packages everything comes in now.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm planning on picking up a number of these in the future. I got converted to the SE hawkbill way thru owning a Spyderhawk and a Hawkbill DF2.

They may be the perfect blade for your most typical 'office edc' tasks. Cutting tape or zipties, trimming paper on a flat surface, opening packages - It's way better for virtually all of those than a standard drop point.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD Spydie

"The two older Spyderco blade steels that are great examples are "GIN-1" and "AUS-8" >> both are great blade steels for Spyderedges IMO.

I have been impressed with my Aus 8 Endura.

Now got a Combo in ATS55 so will be interesting to compare.

Your thoughts on ATS55 ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

The orange Spyderhawk supply is beginning to dry up. Still a few around though at normal pricing.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm
JD Spydie

"The two older Spyderco blade steels that are great examples are "GIN-1" and "AUS-8" >> both are great blade steels for Spyderedges IMO.

I have been impressed with my Aus 8 Endura.

Now got a Combo in ATS55 so will be interesting to compare.

Your thoughts on ATS55 ?
I've had great luck with ATS-55 and I still own and use several of my ATS-55 Spyders. Some of them include the C-44 & C-39 Dyad models, also my beloved Stainless handled RESCUE model which I still use as a companion blade to my M390 Military. ATS-55 is one of the very few steels I've found to perform well in SE & PE both>> VG-10 also has that distinction.

There were so many great models to come from the ATS-55 era. One of my C-46 Lum Tanto folders with the combo edge has an ATS-55 blade. My old, original Catcherman which is one of the very rare fully serrated models has the AUS-8 blade steel and it is awesome in that blade steel. I use that AUS-8 Catcherman at least 2 to 3 times a week with food preparation and I always take it on outdoor trips too.

But ATS-55 I always thought was a decent blade steel and it really performs well in SE. That STainless RESCUE of mine has been through some really harsh conditions and it still performs very well. I tend to really like many of the old-school Spyders anyway and whenever I can buy or trade for an older ATS-55 unit I'm always interested in Spyders with that blade steel>> especially in SE.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

That's good, my catcherman I just purchased is in Aus 8, fully serrated.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 pm
That's good, my catcherman I just purchased is in Aus 8, fully serrated.
Holy Cow!!! you have no idea how long I've been looking for another one of those full Spyderedged AUS-8 Catcherman models. I've been trying for at least the past 5 years to find another one with no luck at all. Congratulations because those aren't easy to find. You will enjoy it. And I do hope that Spyderco will someday give us another full SE Catcherman. But the low profile serrations on that AUS-8 Catcherman is one of the best serration patterns I've ever seen or used. I truly envy you.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

JD
I thought you knew ? Don't you post on the Aussie Spyderco Enthusiasts web site ? We were talking about Catchermans and someone posted some old sales and my one was shown.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JD,

See the shallow serration ;) ;)

Chris :spyder:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I do like that type of serration shown above. Over the other one where the 2 smaller serrations are closer together and sharper points.

It was interesting to see Sals comment re the different serrations.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anagarika wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 pm
JD,

See the shallow serration ;) ;)
Yes I do indeed see the shallow serration pattern. I guess I'm going to have to cave in a get a Crossbill. Maybe if I do that Spyderco will take notice and decide to go ahead and give us the next G-10 Harpy. Again I'm anxious to see how that particular blade steel does with a serrated edge.

But again we need a Hawkbill with a G-10 handle. And the Harpy would be the one to do it with>> then they could think about a G-10 Spyderhawk.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't say much about byrds but I have been thinking hard about a SE Persistence lately. I'm intrigued by the difference in serration pattern and it's FFG with a full blade length edge. Seems like a winning combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Johnsmith,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
fliptide

Post by fliptide »

Has been my go to EDC for last several years. I broke the tip on 1 an the other tip is bent and will probably break soon. Love them and it is a $20 knife, so you wont cry if the tip breaks!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:48 am
Hi Johnsmith,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
How about a full SE Resilience?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 pm
JD
I thought you knew ? Don't you post on the Aussie Spyderco Enthusiasts web site ? We were talking about Catchermans and someone posted some old sales and my one was shown.
No I have never been on that website to my knowledge. I post on 3 knife forums and this being one of them, 1 straight razor forum and one survivalist/prepper forum. Those are the only ones I'm a member of. I'm not on any Aussie websites unless I visited one by default but I highly doubt that.