Different edge angles?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Different edge angles?

Post by Airlsee »

I don't count exactly either, but I have definitely run into some off center apices...I think this is probably much more likely, unless you were just completely over grinding one side.
So it goes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:53 am
tps3443 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 am
This is a Very helpful forum. I tried to prepare my self as much as possible before I started sharpening myself. And I read so much about counting your strokes side to side. But I never read one time about what could happen to your blade if you didn’t count strokes. Not even in my very detailed owners manual Did it mention it. So I used a guesstimate when counting each side. And it didnt work well for me. Just make sure you count each side the same when sharpening, especially with diamonds. It’ll drift your edge fast.
Everybody uses a technique that works best for them but I've never counted how many strokes I do per side. Never had any noticeable issues with the bevels being off.
Same. When I set the bevel I go by eye, no counting.

When I sharpen the apex I alternate sides every stroke, so no need to count then either.
:unicorn
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

There’s another possibility: the FFG is not symmetrical, so the edge bevel when symmetrical will result in different width. The assumption of over grinding one side is if all are actually symmetrical (both FFG and the edge bevel).

If one is interested in sharpening and all it’s quirk (and going down the rabbit hole), I’d recommend BF Maintenance & Tinkering subforum. One of the more Spyderville like subforum over there. Not much troll and a lot of sharpening gurus willing to share their tips. The stickies are a good start. Look out for HeavyHanded, Obsessed With Edge, David Martin, they are currently still active.
Chris :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

fwiw nearly every factory made knife I have purchased is ground a few degrees more obtuse on the show side.

It's rare I buy a knife and find it has perfectly matched bevels on either side.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:13 pm
It's rare I buy a knife and find it has perfectly matched bevels on either side.
I've noticed this too. Some are pretty darned close but most are at least a little uneven. Some are noticeably off. It's kind of strange for me. It's the kind of thing I would normally obsess over but this doesn't really bother me. If it evens up when I reprofile then great. If it doesn't I don't worry about it. I only look at the edge one side at a time anyway. :)

I reprofiled a new PM2 last weekend that had really uneven bevels. I sharpied the edge and set up my Hapstone with my angle cube so the arm was at 15°. As I was sharpening I noticed the sharpie was removed pretty evenly on both sides. I remember thinking that both sides were pretty close to 15° from the factory. So I went ahead and sharpened both sides with my whole grit progression. When I was done I had nice polished edge bevels that are still as uneven as they were when I started. :rolleyes:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!