Taxes on online knife purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brainfriction

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby brainfriction » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Slash wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am
Didn't the government already collect tax on the materials used to make the knife?
I don't think we should be taxed on any goods from a retailer for stuff that tax was already collected on.
Yeah there's a tax on everything it seems. I'm sure the retailer reports it as income, so they pay taxes on that, then the state wants their cut too.

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Truer words were never spoken!

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am

If there were no taxes at all, who would volunteer to help fund necessary services, like health care, roads, schools and so forth? We would all be living in caves and huts again.
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

http://theacehotel.wordpress.com

Chaparral FRN, One-Eyed Jack, Lil’ Native, Lil’ Lum, Roadie, Dragonfly H1 SE Hawkbill

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Some taxes are necessary. Is it too much to ask that government doesn’t squander the money? And vote themselves special privileges? Get us embroiled in wars in foreign countries? Spend our great grandchildren’s uncollected taxes?
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRU-WEAR :spyder:

500Nitro

Postby 500Nitro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm
Some taxes are necessary. Is it too much to ask that government doesn’t squander the money? And vote themselves special privileges? Get us embroiled in wars in foreign countries? Spend our great grandchildren’s uncollected taxes?
Your American, it's what spreading democracy is called! (Joke)

Re taxes, since the move to sales tax, VAT, GST etc, you see them more.
Previously a lot of taxes were at the wholesale level, higher in rate and invisible.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

Woodpuppy

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Our foreign policy sucks. And democracy is the devil. A Constitutional Republic, that’s the right stuff. We just need to straighten out our “representatives”.
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRU-WEAR :spyder:

SF Native

Postby SF Native » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Let’s face it, we were on borrowed time with lack of sales tax charged on internet sales. We could all see this coming for a long time. I pay on everyone else, why not online. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else, but I can move to Oregon if it bugs me enough. It’s the taxes on foreign goods that’s already starting to hurt.

500Nitro

Postby 500Nitro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

SF

"It’s the taxes on foreign goods that’s already starting to hurt."

Like why now ?

Import duties have always been on imported goods.

Or are you talking the latest jump in tariffs ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

The Deacon

Postby The Deacon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 am
You were always supposed to report online purchases and file the sales tax. No one did this, of course. I mean if you don’t mind paying sales tax (in principle) when you buy locally I’m not sure why you’d mind online. Sales tax is probably the most avoidable tax there is. Obviously it would be nice not to be taxed at all but that’s not too realistic if you want to participate in society.

These 5 states have no sales tax-

Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

Just to clarify, if the rules for online sales tax collection are written correctly and applied correctly by the merchants, residents of those states will not be charged any sales tax for online purchases.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

W7H2O

Postby W7H2O » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:45 pm

It was a good run while it lasted. Pretty soon we will say "Hey remember way back when, we didn't pay taxes on our online purchases, now those was the good old days".

SF Native

Postby SF Native » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm
The tariffs. Many of these are not a jump, they are new taxes on the American people. What are they paying for? We are already seeing the effects in some areas of my business. We are a long way from “read my lips, no new taxes”.

tvenuto

Postby tvenuto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm
The tariffs. Many of these are not a jump, they are new taxes on the American people. What are they paying for? We are already seeing the effects in some areas of my business. We are a long way from “read my lips, no new taxes”.
Wasn't that line followed, rather famously, by new taxes? No politics.

Philo Beddoe

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:27 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am
If there were no taxes at all, who would volunteer to help fund necessary services, like health care, roads, schools and so forth? We would all be living in caves and huts again.

Don't mind paying taxes for those purposes but its all the wasteful spending, misplaced priorities, and bad management in the federal and state governments that occurs that I have issues with..this is getting borderline political.

States without a state income tax-

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Alaska is the only state with no sales or income tax.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”