Para 3 Missing Washer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dingo

Re: Para 3 Missing Washer

Post by Dingo »

robinsmv86 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 am
Dingo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 am
So you took it to bits?
Well that was a fantastic idea
Should have returned it to where you purchased it.
With the car warranty comparisons, you deal with the dealer? At least in my experience. Or do you contact the factory first?
The partial disassembly and reassembly is extremely easy. There is a beauty to the simplicity of the design that allows you to simply remove 2 screws and access everything you need to. This is made even easier by the tight tolerances Spyderco manufacturers to. Everything slots together nicely with no force needed. If you know right tighty lefty loosey you too can confidently take out 2 screws and put them back.
It should go without saying that a car warranty and a knife warranty are different. To answer your question I deal with a factory authorized repair facility and their technicians, not the person who took me on the test drive and sold me the floor mats. If Spyderco has a local authorized repair facility in the Tampa Bay aresa I will be happy to take it there.
I always forget the car mats!
Anyway, hope you get it sorted and can chill a bit.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Let’s not turn this into a shite fight lads.

Welcome to the forum Robinsmv86.

I’m sorry to hear about the missing thrust washer on your new knife. I’m sure it’s both frustrating and disappointing for you but the solution isn’t here, mate.

Spyderco stand by their products and they’ll certainly see you right. Kristi is on to it but as you may imagine she can’t do too much without the knife, so send it in and rest assured it will come back good as new and more than likely you’ll be fully reimbursed for any shipping costs. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It seems to me that this thread has wandered from the original point. That being, in my view, that if one receives a damaged or defective knife from a reputable dealer like Blade HQ, the first action should be to contact the dealer from which the knife was purchased. If a satisfactory resolution can’t be reached with the dealer then one should contact the maker, Spyderco.

The question here is why didn’t Spyderco offer you a satisfactory resolution? That’s something that we don’t know. It could be that having disassembled the knife they want to inspect it to ensure that this is actually a warranty problem.

Spyderco is well known to take very good care of their customers. It might be worthwhile to let them resolve your issue. Complaining here won’t help.

I hope all works out for the OP.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

The next time I buy or mail order something from Wally World or the Jungle, take it home, find out its defective and made in China, I guess the ideal solution is to call that Chinese manufacturer to make it right. :confused:
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

W7H2O wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 am
The next time I buy or mail order something from Wally World or the Jungle, take it home, find out its defective and made in China, I guess the ideal solution is to call that Chinese manufacturer to make it right. :confused:
That the price you pay for buying from Wally World.

I purchase things from the odd Chinese place occasionally, generally beliw $10 and mostly less than $5, the odd one turns out to be junk, most people just bin it and move on, not worth the effort of doing anything else.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

We are currently working something out. It seems to be a case of one employee sticking to the letter of the law rather than making a customer service judgement call. At the time of my call to Spyderco the knife had not been disassembled yet. I will post an update as the process moves forward.

The reasons I reached out to Spyderco first and not bladehq are who writes the warranty and the date of purchase. The knife is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty, not retailer warranty. I thought Spyderco would want to know about the error. I have owned this knife since January. Had I identified the issue immediately upon receipt I would have gone through bladehq. The knife worked great originally, but after 9 months of use started to feel less smooth and developed a tiny bit of blade play. It was only on closer inspection while trying to blow pocket lint out of the knife that I noticed there weren't even gaps on both sides between the blade and liner.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Robinsmv86, thanks for the update and the details of your issue, significant lapse between purchase and noticing the problem. Helped me to better understand your issue.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

Update: After a couple weeks I have received a prepaid shipping label to send the knife home for a little TLC from the folks in Golden. Hopefully it isn't gone for too long as it has been my EDC at work most days that I owned it.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

Final Update:

Today I was pleasantly surprised to open my door and find a package from Golden, Colorado, U.S.A. Earth. My Para 3 has come back to me complete with 2 washers and a fresh factory edge on it. I would like to personally and publicly thank Kristi for her help with getting this taken care of. What started out as a frustrating warranty experience was turned around and made right thanks to her intervention and judgement.
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

Glad to hear that things worked out for you. And as a new forum member who has recently purchased several Spyderco products, I'm happy to hear that you were taken care of.