Para 3 Missing Washer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
robinsmv86

Para 3 Missing Washer

Post by robinsmv86 »

Beware missing washers! I purchased a Para 3 whose action started to get a bit gritty. After closer inspection I discovered it only had a washer installed on 1 side and the blade is running directly against the liner on the other. Now spyderco wants me to pay shipping for the QC oversight. This is the first spyderco I've owned and with quality measures like this may very well be my last.
TazKristi

Re: Para 3 Missing Washer

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, robinsmv86:
First, welcome to our forum. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your Para 3. Can you tell us where you purchased it? Was it new? Our Warranty & Repair crew is following our guidelines but I can assure you if the issue was an oversight on our part, we'll make it right with you. One last question, do you live in the U.S.?

Thanks much for posting your feedback.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

It was purchased new through bladehq.com. I can provide order details if needed by private message. I do live in the US.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

At the end of the day all I am looking for is a washer to install in the knife. I am happy to put it in myself and save everyone time and money. I have read the post on why internal parts are not shipped and understand why spyderco would want the knife back if there were a material failure or manufacturer defect. I don't believe there is anything defective about the knife, just a simple assembly error as will happen now and then with hand assembled products. If you need the knife back to ensure no permanent damage has been done due to the assembly error I understand that as well, I just dont believe I should have to pay shipping in either direction. Please let me know what the easiest way to accomplish this is. Overall I have been happy with the knife and am willing to edit my negative reviews on Amazon and bladehq to reflect a positive warranty experience if we can get there.
mattman

Post by mattman »

If you take your car to the dealer for warrantee service, do they reimburse you for fuel?
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

mattman wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm
If you take your car to the dealer for warrantee service, do they reimburse you for fuel?
Actually, most vehicle warranties include towing reimbursement for repairs that are covered by warranty when the car can't be safely driven to the dealer.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

mattman wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 pm
I didn't realize Spyderco's out of state warranty department and policy operated like a car manufacturer who has a service department down the street. As I previously stated this is the first time I have purchased one of their products. Thank you for educating me. I assume this also means they will provide a loaner knife for my use while mine is in the shop? Maybe even one that is a couple model years newer and 0.9% financing because my trade in is in high demand?
grumpy514

Post by grumpy514 »

Why not return it with BladeHQ as a defect?

Why not send the knife back to Spyderco to give them a chance to evaluate it and then ask for reimbursement ?

Your reaction seems a bit much when you never gave anyone a chance to address the actual issue.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

grumpy514 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:28 pm
Why not return it with BladeHQ as a defect?

Why not send the knife back to Spyderco to give them a chance to evaluate it and then ask for reimbursement ?

Your reaction seems a bit much when you never gave anyone a chance to address the actual issue.
I would rather give the manufacturer a chance to address their error. I did call into the Spyderco warranty department and offered to send pictures, order information, and even fix the issue myself if the part (one little washer that would cost less to provide and ship than pay an employee to evaluate the knife) were sent. All I was met with was rudeness and threats of additional charges if the knife was sent in because I must have taken the knife apart and presumably lost or damaged the piece. I know I am tangling myself in the proverbial spider's web by posting on a forum full of fans of the brand. On of the reasons I chose to buy a Spyderco for my 2nd nicer knife (first was a customized benchmade which I chose to purchase because of the amazing warranty experience my father had with benchmade) was because of Spyderco's supposedly exceptional customer service and willingness to stand behind their products. That is not what I have personally experienced.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

Here are the wear patterns to each side of the blade. You can clearly see where the compression lock and liner rub on one side while there is a distinct pattern from the washer on the other. This washer pattern is not on both sides.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My dealings with BladeHQ, although not extensive as some, have always been positive. I think a phone call to them would have found a quick solution to your issue. Did you contact them?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm
Hi, robinsmv86:
I can assure you if the issue was an oversight on our part, we'll make it right with you.

Kristi
Relax. This is pretty much all you need to know. I would bet money on it. Be sure to let us know when it all works out and you're happy.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:41 pm
My dealings with BladeHQ, although not extensive as some, have always been positive. I think a phone call to them would have found a quick solution to your issue. Did you contact them?
Bladehq is not the one who made the knife nor who wrote and backs the warranty. They will be my next call if I cant come to an amicable resolution with Spyderco. If they are able to offer better service than the manufacturer it makes my decision on who to do business with in the future very easy. I am at a bit of a disadvantage here since being a new forum member means all my posts require moderator approval and delays my ability to respond.
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:49 pm
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm
Hi, robinsmv86:
I can assure you if the issue was an oversight on our part, we'll make it right with you.

Kristi
Relax. This is pretty much all you need to know. I would bet money on it. Be sure to let us know when it all works out and you're happy.
I have sent Kristi a PM to try and work this out more efficiently than posting in the public forums will allow with all my posts being reviewed as a new member.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

grumpy514 wrote:
Well said.

Why people sprout on the internet without actually addressing the issue with the place of purchase or manufacturer first boggles me.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just send it back to the retailer, surely?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This sounds almost identical to another thread from a while back. Fake post?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:56 pm
grumpy514 wrote:
Well said.

Why people sprout on the internet without actually addressing the issue with the place of purchase or manufacturer first boggles me.
I did give Spyderco the chance to address the issue, they didn't, so I came here
Sumdumguy wrote: This sounds almost identical to another thread from a while back. Fake post?
If you mean this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49355 that pops up when you Google Spyderco missing washer, maybe its because I did some research first and googled Spyderco missing washer. That's how I found this forum.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

So you took it to bits?
Well that was a fantastic idea
Should have returned it to where you purchased it.
With the car warranty comparisons, you deal with the dealer? At least in my experience. Or do you contact the factory first?
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

Dingo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:50 am
So you took it to bits?
Well that was a fantastic idea
Should have returned it to where you purchased it.
With the car warranty comparisons, you deal with the dealer? At least in my experience. Or do you contact the factory first?
The partial disassembly and reassembly is extremely easy. There is a beauty to the simplicity of the design that allows you to simply remove 2 screws and access everything you need to. This is made even easier by the tight tolerances Spyderco manufacturers to. Everything slots together nicely with no force needed. If you know right tighty lefty loosey you too can confidently take out 2 screws and put them back.
It should go without saying that a car warranty and a knife warranty are different. To answer your question I deal with a factory authorized repair facility and their technicians, not the person who took me on the test drive and sold me the floor mats. If Spyderco has a local authorized repair facility in the Tampa Bay aresa I will be happy to take it there.