On a personal note... (related to the Discontinued List)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

On a personal note... (related to the Discontinued List)

Post by archangel »

Several of you have shared their regrets about the discontinuing of this and that model. Just wanted to let you know that I can well relate to your thoughts and feelings, even if I can't participate in phrasing them, just because:

I think one can only share such regrets when they made good experience with the related models. I for my part have limited funds, and a maybe stupid but at the same time very helpful personal regime to follow, which makes me miss many great opportunities (e. G. Rex45, 4V sprints, just to name two from this year) and gives me MUCH fewer chances to make these good experience with a large number of different models! This is the only reason that I can't really say how much I hate to see this or that model go.

At the same time the discontinuing of many often Taichung made higher price models suddenly brings them into reach pricewise, which is why I often say what a great time of the year this is. In fact my Discontinued List purchases count for (if I'm not miscalculating - forgive me but it's 5:51am and I can't sleep while my brain at the same time is not fully in function) 33% of my total 2018 purchases, and the two disco'd models I snagged would otherwise be way out of league for me.

In other words, for the very few that follow my personal, strictly rule based collection development, I hope you don't mind that I only see the good in the Discontinued List opportunities. I'm no soulless ghoul - at least I try not to be.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SF Native

Re: On a personal note... (related to the Discontinued List)

Post by SF Native »

Totally agree. I love the discontinued list.
I usually pick up models that I wouldn’t have purchased otherwise. If the full price is too much for me for one reason or another, the discount price might just make it worthwhile.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I also like the disco list. Rarely do I pick up blades new (I’ve got so many). Still quite happy I snagged the Positron when it was cheap last year.

Not much excites me on the new disco list. I’m tempted to snag a serrated chefs knife to replace our lame bread knife, but it’s not very long and do I really even want a serrated kitchen knife? Plus at $70 it’s still not a steal.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Maybe the chef knife isn't a steal but still a great deal for VG10. I wanted another Mantra and the Euroedge and the kitchen knife plain edge or the Ti Chappy. I wonder what deals Spyderco will have at the seconds sale. Last year they had discontinued models basically selling for cost NIB
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

The lower prices are nice. Kinda bummed though, bought a Mantra two weeks ago then I see Blade HQ has it now for $20 less. Oh well, next time.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

brainfriction wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:11 am
The lower prices are nice. Kinda bummed though, bought a Mantra two weeks ago then I see Blade HQ has it now for $20 less. Oh well, next time.
$20 is not very much difference, I wouldn’t sweat that.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 am
I’m tempted to snag a serrated chefs knife to replace our lame bread knife, but it’s not very long and do I really even want a serrated kitchen knife? Plus at $70 it’s still not a steal.
I'm sure you already know but for anyone who doesn't, :spyder: makes a really great bread knife: K01SBK. We are doing the keto thing in our house right now so ours hasn't seen too much use lately. The serration pattern and balance of it produces clean cuts that do not mangle even delicate flakey pastries.

Having the K11P for over 6 months now I disagree about $70 not being a deal. These things are a big step up from the MBS26 series. Also, I bet you would be surprised how useful a serrated blade in the kitchen really is.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:44 am
brainfriction wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:11 am
$20 is not very much difference, I wouldn’t sweat that.
Nope, just one of those "My sort of luck" things :D
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:12 am

I'm sure you already know but for anyone who doesn't, :spyder: makes a really great bread knife: K01SBK. We are doing the keto thing in our house right now so ours hasn't seen too much use lately. The serration pattern and balance of it produces clean cuts that do not mangle even delicate flakey pastries.
Actually I didn’t, thanks. Though I’m kind of on the fence about needing one in the first place.
KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:12 am
Having the K11P for over 6 months now I disagree about $70 not being a deal. These things are a big step up from the MBS26 series. Also, I bet you would be surprised how useful a serrated blade in the kitchen really is.
I’m curious, what do you use it for? I’m well aware of the benefits of SE for EDC but for vegetable prep I really doubt anything can match the gyuto and petty knives I made myself.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm
I’m curious, what do you use it for? I’m well aware of the benefits of SE for EDC but for vegetable prep I really doubt anything can match the gyuto and petty knives I made myself.
I would say our blue K04 gets the most use out of any of our SE kitchen knives. Anytime we are prepping veggies in which the cleanness of the cut doesn't matter, out it comes (tomatoes for sauce, removing broccoli/cauli stalks, etc..) Also when dealing with fibrous material. We do a lot of jerky at home and the SE saves a ton of time on that first rough pass to get the sinew and fat removed. If we are cutting veg that will be presented as-is, we will go for a sharp PE (tomatoes for a caprese salad.) Spydercos serrations make easy work of the tasks mentioned and I don't have to sharpen as often. There will always be room in our kitchen for both.