Which delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Greg_H

Which delica?

Post by Greg_H »

So I've just started researching knives and have a Tenacious on the way. I think I want to get a delica next. I'm looking at the Spyderco Delica 4 Flat Ground 2-7/8" VG10 Satin Plain Blade, Orange FRN Handles and the Spyderco Delica 4 Wharncliffe Folding Knife 2.87" HAP40 Satin Plain Blade, Burnt Orange FRN Handles, Sprint Run - C11FPWCBORE. Ideas on which I should get first? Are there any other currently available sprint runs or other models I should consider? thanks
The Meat man

Re: Which delica?

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum.

Either Delica would be a great choice. You might want to grab the Sprint Run HAP40 while you have a chance though.

There is the V-TOKU 2 Sprint Run Delica. I think it is sold out though, so you might have to look into the aftermarket to get one.

I don't own a Delica but I've been severely tempted to pick up one of those HAP40 wharncliffe sprints myself.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

As much as I like the Wharncliffe Delica I think, if I was only going to have one, I'd get the regular Delica blade shape. I find the regular shape to be a more versatile than the Wharncliffe. That said, as Meat man suggested, it might wise to buy the sprint HAP40 Wharnie while it's still available.

You might also consider Cultlery Shoppe's exclusive orange/S30V Wharncliffe while they're still available. S30V is a fine steel and I actually like the bright orange a little better than the burnt orange.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:34 am
You might also consider Cultlery Shoppe's exclusive orange/S30V Wharncliffe while they're still available. S30V is a fine steel and I actually like the bright orange a little better than the burnt orange.
Yep.
rossco599

Post by rossco599 »

I'd go for an upgraded steel. V-toku2 currently ebay is $89. Same price as the Chaparral (.08 less blade)
Kiteman72

Post by Kiteman72 »

The upcoming Fradon Lock Delica with carbon fiber and Hap 40 might be worth waiting for...

The St. Nick's Delica is pretty sweet too!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Zdp-189 would be my choice
vivi

Post by vivi »

Greg_H wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 pm
So I've just started researching knives and have a Tenacious on the way. I think I want to get a delica next. I'm looking at the Spyderco Delica 4 Flat Ground 2-7/8" VG10 Satin Plain Blade, Orange FRN Handles and the Spyderco Delica 4 Wharncliffe Folding Knife 2.87" HAP40 Satin Plain Blade, Burnt Orange FRN Handles, Sprint Run - C11FPWCBORE. Ideas on which I should get first? Are there any other currently available sprint runs or other models I should consider? thanks
In my opinion the VG10 Full flat grind is the most well rounded.

The HAP40 one will be a little easier to sharpen to a fine edge, but it will also rust along the edge if care is not taken to wipe it off well.

The ZDP189 Delica will stay sharp the longest, but it can be tough to sharpen if you don't have much experience.

One more thing to consider is the Spyderco SALT 2. It's basically a rust proof delica. This would be a good choice if you spend a lot of time around water fishing, kayaking etc. It's also the best choice if you want a serrated Delica in my opinion. H1 performs extremely well in serrated blades.

Either way you can't go wrong with this classic if the handle fits your grip. Very light, great cutting performance, and Spyderco does a backlock as well as anyone.
:unicorn
fixall

Post by fixall »

You have a Tenacious with a with a belly on the way, so I have to give the nod to the Delica HAP40 Wharncliffe... Which just happens to be my all-time favorite work knife (and the only knife in my collection I own a duplicate of). It's a PHENOMENAL knife!

The wharncliffe blade excels at opening boxes, making draw cuts in cardboard, opening clamshell packages, and is a very easy profile to learn to sharpen on. The burnt orange scales look fantastic (in my opinion) and make the knife easy to find in a hurry. It also comes with a stainless steel clip, which I prefer much more than the painted black version. The HAP40 steel is no slouch either! It may not hold and edge as long as ZDP-189, but it stays sharp longer than most steels (I find it has better edge retention than V-TOKU2) and is ridiculously easy to bring back to a razor sharp edge. I can spend the whole day using it at work and have it back to shaving sharp at the end of the night with just a few swipes on the Sharpmaker or a loaded strop. Lastly... It's a sprint run, so if you like the color/steel combination, this will be your ONLY chance to pick one up outside the secondary market.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Greg_H wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 pm
From the sentence I emphasized in the quote, it seems that you intend to buy both variants. As others have already noted, the burnt orange, HAP40 Wharncliffe is a Sprint, so get it first because of the limited nature of sprint runs.

After you have that, I think you should get a Chaparral lightweight so you'll have a super thin slicer. The Chap will also let you try out the finger choil on the blade ergos that many of us love, and which have become as much of a Spyderco signature as the Delica. With your Tenacious, HAP 40 Delica, and the Chap you'll have a Spyderco each from China, Japan, and Taiwan. Then you can start trying to decide which Golden, CO, USA, Earth manufactured Spyderco you want. Or which you want first to be precise.

You've also come to the bar at happy hour. We'll enable and support your new Spyderco addiction. :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I fully agree with Vivi about the VG10. I would get the standard FFG blade and not the Wharncliffe. Wharncliffes are nice but of limited use compared to the clip point version. Get whatever color floats your boat. I have two and they are great knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You definitely need to try out a wharncliffe Delica, bro. Maybe some pics will help.

- best wishes, Jazz.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The wharnie spyderedge Delica is my most carried. Terrific cutting power ... fantastic user :spyder:

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I agree with elena86
IMG_20180811_132600_235.jpg
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Greg_H

Post by Greg_H »

Thanks for all the replies and helpful info!!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

If you want a stainless one then get the cutleryshoppe s30v version it's a very nice orange
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut