Whats your favorite unusual blade shape?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shunsui

Re: Whats your favorite unusual blade shape?

Post by shunsui »

+1 Hawkbill
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hawkbills here too. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a fan of certain reverse S blades. The Cricket and Lil’ Matriarch work well for me. I didn’t like the Dodo at all. I also have no interest in the Civilian.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

These are my favorites as far as unusual or uncommon goes. (sorry for the graphic nature of the last photo)

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

This.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Are we to understand that you sliced that hand with the pictured Matriarch? How did this happen?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

^^^^I guess his Emerson hook didn't fully deploy, or deployed badly? :confused:

add another vote to these two shapes for "Unusual" :cool:

embry386

Post by embry386 »

Sheepsfoot. Preferably in serrated. The second photo is of my favorite knife and main EDC, and oh man I love that thing. The way the blade is heavier and the balance is shifted a bit, the blunt tip that won't stab me if I need to use it to chop my way out of a seatbelt, the teeth that work really good to slice up tomatoes for lunch. :spyder:

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

For work, a sheepsfoot. I can do things like pry open paint cans with my byrd rescue 2 without any fear of the tip breaking. Any other blade shape, forget about doing that! If I were to do absolutely no prying (keep in mind I only pry with $20 knives), I'd say Tanto.

For ECD, although I like the looks of a clip point, I would say a drop point/spear point with a good amount of belly would be my favorite.

Not sure how to answer the question of the thread. I really like the looks of the K2, but it is a specialized knife. It could be argued that spyderco's in general have an unusual blade shape. I think the new Subvert certainly has a shape that qualifies as unusual, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm
The spyker has a weird shape that could either be terrible or amazing to use
When it comes to Spyderco's great Recurves the SPYKER is truly one of my all time favorites. I wish that I would have kept at least one of them when at one time I had a couple of them. To have the SPYKER return in SE & PE both would be a colossal Christmas present to say the least.

With that said I still kind of like the DODO model the best of all of the unusual blade styles.
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

I have to admit, all my Spydies are typical drop point or leaf shaped. Although, if I had to choose something different I'd probably go with a wharncliff like the Yojimbo.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Love me some hawkbills.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:04 am
Are we to understand that you sliced that hand with the pictured Matriarch? How did this happen?
Was cutting a zip tie using the leverage of the spine to pry against. The zip-tie popped and the tip moved about 2" upward. The last 1" of that path was occupied by my hand. Clean wound, but it has healed cleanly with minimal scar tissue.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:04 am
Was cutting a zip tie using the leverage of the spine to pry against. The zip-tie popped and the tip moved about 2" upward. The last 1" of that path was occupied by my hand. Clean wound, but it has healed cleanly with minimal scar tissue.
Gee Mr. Cleaver that C-111 Captain sure looks familiar :D But seriously that C-111 Captain should have been available in Spyderedge from the onset. But just think about how many more uses that Captain model would have if the inner arch was Spyderedged. The Captain is a great skinner in PE but it would be even be far more useful for a wide range of cutting chores if the inner arch was serrated. Case Closed on that one.

Also the Dodo which is another one of Spyderco's genius "Unusual Blade" styles that is far more useful in Spyderedge than it is in plain edge. The same case could be made for all the Recurves as well. I truly long for the "Good Old Spyder-Days" when you could get virtually any great Spyderco model in SE.