Full flat grind, full of scratches?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Full flat grind, full of scratches?

Post by tps3443 »

Well they hold up well. I’ve only had mine since Saturday. Not a scratch. I mostly cut boxes, straps, cardboard. It could pass as new. I’m assuming it takes time to develop age

atomic mass of ammonium sulfate
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

The first scratch sucks when you have a new knife, but it only gets to looks better with more scratches. Just like a nice patina. Knives shouldn't be too nice so you fear to use or sharpen them. Too many knife collectors that collect art pieces and never cut a thing. Such a shame.

I prefer stonewashed blades so scratches don't standout so much when you get a new knife. I'd love to see more Spyderco knives with that finish. I have it on my Maxamet Para 3 and i love it. I read that the upcoming Cutlery Shoppe Para 3 will have a stonewashed finish too.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I don't mind genuine collectors preserving pristine knives.

But when you have users / EDC etc complain about scratches, I can't understand it. IMHO knives are meant to be used so if you use it, why worry ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The only scratches on blades that genuinely annoy me are the ones that should never have been there but after a while they don’t even matter.

For example, my Southfork came not so sharp so I reprofiled it. I use a guided system and I’m anal regarding flat stones so I try to grind using the entire length of the stone when sharpening to minimise dishing. This is easy enough done when you adjust the travel stops.

If you don’t adjust the stops and you don’t concentrate on what you’re doing a 180grit SiC stone that overrides the blade leaves a scratch or two. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Probably not as big of a deal on ultra high hardness blades like S110V, Maxamet, Rex 45 etc

My Manix is more of a polished stone wash but def not just polished.

It's a fairly difficult thing to capture
4098174745725483684.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Dumbest way I scratched a knife was cleaning it with green scotchbrite
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm
The only scratches on blades that genuinely annoy me are the ones that should never have been there but after a while they don’t even matter.

For example, my Southfork came not so sharp so I reprofiled it. I use a guided system and I’m anal regarding flat stones so I try to grind using the entire length of the stone when sharpening to minimise dishing. This is easy enough done when you adjust the travel stops.

If you don’t adjust the stops and you don’t concentrate on what you’re doing a 180grit SiC stone that overrides the blade leaves a scratch or two. :eek:
This. I don't mind scratches and wear on my blade from use, but it really bothers me when I get scratches from careless sharpening mistakes. D'oh! :o
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I take care of my knife. It was expensive, and I love it. After 4 days of use from 7:30-5PM, it is still hair shaving sharp. It has no scratches yet, which makes me even happier! If I gotta cut something really gross, I use the Tenacious lol. I really love the edge retention.

I get the scratches add character thing guys and gals, but everyone on here would make there favorite knife brand new again in a heart beat, if they could lol!

The scratch will eventually come, the newness will fade, the use will continue. Getting a new knife is fun, and exciting to me. It’s ok because it’s definitely not my last Spyderco! Enjoy it while it’s scratchless, enjoy it more after it’s scratched.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm
Dumbest way I scratched a knife was cleaning it with green scotchbrite
I've done that twice! Wrong side of the sponge.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I don’t mind wear and tear on anything but the crazy soft H1 and SUS-whatever cladding on some blades. That stuff is ridiculous.
- best wishes, Jazz.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

My sharpening marks are like marks of shame for me.
Otherwise, if work scratches them up, so be it. Do love a nice worn dlc.
I do dislike how my first wharny delica got beat up. It took a few drops from my pocket when the forklift seat caught the clip. Now the spine has divots.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am
It's simple math: if you want less scratches, you need more knives :)
Exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. Spread the scratches around. The principle is "many hands make light work". No slackers.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

ferider wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:12 am
It's simple math: if you want less scratches, you need more knives :)
That works for me. :D
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.