Gap before release

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnickKnackCity

Gap before release

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Ive noticed on the last 6 exclusives/sprints I have received there has been a 2 month gap between the manufacture date and release. They were 5 Goldens and 1 Seki. I assume the dealers/distributors plan their drop for as soon after the projected arrival date to limit the time $ is tied up in inventory, so I think most of that 2 months is spent in Golden. Also the 2 Spyderco-direct releases had the 2 month delay (52100 P3 & Forum PM2 - date code HR, dropped Friday.)

Does anyone have insight as to what exactly happens during this time? I would imagine its a QA hold. How are standards assessed? What sample size is determined? Is it really 1.5 months of auditing or is the queue so vast that each run is finished then stored away for that time span? I get that some of this may be intellectual property but curious about the process.
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Re: Gap before release

Post by sal »

Hi KnickKnackCity,

We try to give dealers and distributors advanced notice as we can. Receiving, QC take a fair amount of time, especially on a new model. Distribution plans take a while, collectors, overseas plans, back orders, If the model is unique and in demand or over-ordered , Kelly has to figure out the best/most fair way to distribute. labeling, shipping. Also keep in mind the number of new intros offered each month are in queue as well.

sal
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Thanks for elaborating, Sal. Probably almost unfathomable to truly contextualize all of the moving parts of the Spyderco machine that works together to produce each product. We as consumers take for granted the amount of kinetic energy needed to get something even as simple as a sharpening stone into our hands.
sal

Post by sal »

It's more complex than most would guess. From concept to customer is a long twisty trail with many potential trip-ups. Then add: accounting, Marketing, sales, shipping, customer service, repair and the management of employees, vendors, equipment, etc. and it's easy to see why not too many try to do it.

sal