What is your favorite lock type?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite lock type?

Frame lock/Liner lock
8%
Backlock/Triad lock
32%
Ball bearing lock/Axis lock
11%
Compression lock
44%
Other
5%

Total votes: 91

TomAiello

Re: What is your favorite lock type?

Post by TomAiello »

CBBL for me.

I like the bolt action and axis lock too. I'm really a fan of the ambidextrous ergonomics of all those systems.

I'm curious to see what Doug Ritter did to "upgrade" it for his newest RSK series.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I voted Other. I don't really have any preference.
As long as it works, I guess.
-Nick :bug-red
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Compression all day with CBBL coming in second.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

I voted compression. I'm able to manipulate it with gloves on easily. I also like the fact that my fingers or thumb never cross the blades path opening or closing it, which can also be said for the ball bearing, I just can't work the lock as well with gloves on one handed.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

A well executed Walker liner lock is a thing of beauty :D
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

ferider wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:38 am
You are missing the power lock. It looks the same as a back lock, but behaves very differently.

Roland.
Thanks Roland, I knew I was forgetting something and it was driving me crazy :D.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Backlock/midlock by a large margin. Next up is the compression lock. The Millie and GB are the only liner locks I ever carry any more . I have a bunch of frame locks but usually will carry then put it back in exchange for something else within an hour or two. All are good, safe locks when done well though so I'm not making claims about anything other than preference.

Joe
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tri-ad / lockback is #1, cbbl is #2. I don't currently use any other lock types.

I like the smooth action of a broken in lockback/tri-ad lock, and how well they hold the blade shut. Detent based locks have proven insufficient at holding the blade closed for my uses.

I haven't tried the powerlock but I'd like to.
:unicorn
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I carry and love them all. For a work knife, the speed and ease of one handed opening on the compression lock is my favorite. For edc, something with a closing bias like a backlock or slip joint.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I love the compression lock. Easy one handed open/close and I like the idea of no fingers in the blade path when closing.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:58 am
I voted Other. I don't really have any preference.
As long as it works, I guess.

+1
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Other - I'm really not a fan of grouping together some rather different locks.

I like Frame Locks, but not liner locks. Frame locks generally have a thicker lock face, so there's more margin for error in blade tang / to lock face fitment. Frame locks can also eliminate the need for scales which, in my experience, can trap moisture and lead to corrosion. For these reasons, I still think the Spydiechef is going to be more corrosion resistant than the Carribean in the long term.

The Axis lock is also very different than the CBBL. Both are a pain to take apart, but at least the axis lock can be held together with a slave pin while the scales are removed to clean the liners / sub frame and reapply a lubricant / rust preventative to them. The Axis lock can also be made with flow through construction to allow for cleaning and air drying without disassembly, which further differentiates it from the BBL / CBBL.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Backlocks and family (mid-lock, rear back-lock, front back-lock, TriAd Lock, Powerlock) for strength, ambidextrous operation and bias to closing
embry386

Post by embry386 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 am
Backlocks and family (mid-lock, rear back-lock, front back-lock, TriAd Lock, Powerlock) for strength, ambidextrous operation and bias to closing
Agree with this
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Favorite Spyderco lock is the compression lock bc it’s an excellent balance of strength and convenience, plus it’s just a fun lock. Favorite overall lock for a folding knife is backlock for strength and ease of use while wearing gloves at work. Least favorite is liner locks, except the perfectly executed one on the military, which is also my favorite Spyderco, go figure!
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

mikeh99 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:21 am
Being a lefty I prefer the ball bearing/axis lock. But the only lock I dislike is the back lock.
I also dislike the back lock and I have two of them, a Pacific Salt and a Dragonfly.
I open both by compressing the back lock and only releasing it when the blade is fully opened or closed to minimise wear.
All the other locks are flicked open and flicked closed.
My joint favourites are bearing lock and compression lock.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Luddite wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:17 am
mikeh99 wrote:
Being a lefty I prefer the ball bearing/axis lock. But the only lock I dislike is the back lock.
I also dislike the back lock and I have two of them, a Pacific Salt and a Dragonfly.
I open both by compressing the back lock and only releasing it when the blade is fully opened or closed to minimise wear.
What would wear out? I've got 20 year old Spyderco lockbacks that have been spyder dropped, flicked, and manually thumb opened and they seem ok.
:unicorn
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Back locks have such a reassuring thwack. I've come to prefer them, but mainly because they don't interfere with the fore grip. Most of the other lock types compromise grip real estate where it matters most with cutouts of some flavor or variety.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 am
Luddite wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:17 am
mikeh99 wrote:
What would wear out? I've got 20 year old Spyderco lockbacks that have been spyder dropped, flicked, and manually thumb opened and they seem ok.
The back lock has a hook which fits into a slot on the blade tang.
That's what wears.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I voted for the compression lock. I like all good locks that are properly executed. I own more mid-locks because they come on so many great Spydercos.