Manix 2 XL Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neuronic

Manix 2 XL Question

Post by neuronic »

Hi,

just got my first Spyderco (Manix 2 XL DLC). In fact it's my first folder, been more of a fixed blade guy up to now.

Unfortunately it left me a bit disappointed... the blade is slightly off center and somehow I'm not able to flick it shut since the blade keeps bouncing back. Both minor issues, but slightly offsetting.

What bugs me most is the lateral blade play I can induce when rocking the base of the blade with my fingers. There's a clicking feel that goes along with it.
The action doesn't feel too smooth either so I don't think tightening the pivot would help much...

So... am I too picky? I had high expectations for my first spyderco considering the reputation.

I got a pretty good deal from amazon (which I'm not a fan of in general)... maybe I just got me a lemon?

Thanks!
Last edited by neuronic on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazKristi

Re: Manix 2 XL Question

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, neuronic:
First, welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us. I would suggest that you send your knife into our Warranty & Repair department for evaluation. You'll find all of the information that you need here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/. You'll be in good hands with our crew.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Hi Kristi,

thanks for your reply. I'm in Germany so shipping would be quite costly. I may as well just return it to Amazon I guess... haven't quite made up my mind yet, though.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I haven't had any of those problems with any of my Spyderco knives, and I've had a lot of them. I was carrying that exact model last week- Manix 2 XL DLC.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have the same model. Mine felt a little rough while opening when I received it, but it's smoothedout over time. Mine has zero play in any direction when locked open, that's definitely unusual what you've experienced with yours. I've owned a few of these and none had any play.

Hope you can get yours working to your satisfaction, it's a really nice model.
:unicorn
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

Did you try oiling the ball bearing, and the part of the blade tang where the locking mechanism slides into? If its flipping back open it sounds like the lock may be sticking or not closing fast enough. That could also be part of the problem with the blade play if the lock isn't fully seating properly. I just checked on mine, and if I deploy the blade, then pull back on the lock a little bit until its not 100% engaged it will introduce a small bit of blade play.

Even on my DLC coated Para 3 the lock wasn't really smooth until it wore the DLC coating off the back of the tang where the lock bar rests.

Also, every Manix I've had has taken a while to break in, being flipped open and closed at least 100 times before the action really smooths out.

If you think it's defective I'd exchange it, but it may just need a drop of oil and some break-in time.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Thanks for the input guys. I got the action to break in a bit the last few days, oiled up moving parts, still I don't manage to flick it shut, the blade keeps bouncing back. May be just me but I don't know...

Slight loosening and re-tightening of the pivot didn't cure the blade play or the off-centering, so I guess I just send this back... bit of a bummer, I really like the knife per se.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

I bought my Manix second hand, lnib, and the first owner said that he had trouble with it to start with but after a few open/closed operations it really smoothed out.
I have to say mine is now smooth silk and locks up really solid.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

So....

Returned it, got one back: blade is centered, no lateral blade play,silky smooth action. I'm a happy camper.
Arguebly the best bang for the buck Spyderco right now.
garret

Post by garret »

I have a manix, bought in amazon, the settings are perfect, without any problem, the blade is in the center. Maybe his manix is ​​false if it was too cheap. regards