Compression, lock front flipper can this please be a thing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

Compression, lock front flipper can this please be a thing

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys so a few days ago I responded to the “What is the coolest Spyderco that doesn’t exist?” Thread and I said I thought it would be really cool if Spyderco made a compression lock front flipper. Since then I have been thinking/obsessing about the idea of a compression lock front flipper, and I wanted to see if any of you guys also think that would be cool or if I’m the only one.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
sinnyc

Re: Compression, lock front flipper can this please be a thing

Post by sinnyc »

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I think that a great idea. I’ve been waiting for a front flipper from Spyderco but I have yet to hear a peep about it.

If they do one it would be cool if it had no thumb ramp and came without a functioning opening hole so that that could focus on getting the detent right for the flipper action.

The smock looks cool but it isn’t a front flipper.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi M4Life,

There are a few coming down the Pike.

sal
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

That’s excellent news! I am looking foreward to a front flipper. I have been eyeing one from a Chinese maker but that plan has been updated.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 am
Hi M4Life,

There are a few coming down the Pike.

sal
Ok, you have my attention now :D
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

My understanding was that a design like the Smock counts as a front flipper, while the Shamwari, Exkelibur, Boose Smoke, et al are technically "lip flippers" if you want to be more specific under the South African taxonomy.
But I could have it backwards; threads with the relevant info don't have pictures anymore. XD

The Paul Alexander design (can't recall the name) looks like a cool knife, though not as "clean" as some others with its wheel-shaped "tab." Would love to see more like it, if only to add variety in a world of framelock flippers.

Every time I think about making a Spyderco into a lip flipper, I usually realize that the Spydie hole is better in literally every possible way. The Native designs are a good example; I think you can front-flip all of them if you mod the scales, but it's far easier to use the hole. The hole is itself a trade-off, but wide flat ground blades have their own benefits. If you want a skinny easy-carrying profile, front flippers can give you some of the same benefits as the hole without the hump/leaf blade.