Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 am
I've stayed out of this thread because...well, because I know better, but whatever, here goes. I think there are too many general opinions being stated as fact. Like Pelagic said, "If a shark decided to attack you, you are screwed" is not an accurate statement. The thing is though, the result of a shark attack would depend on SO many things. Top of the list would be "how big is the shark?" Two people could be arguing over how dangerous a dog is but if when saying the word "dog" one is imagining a chihuahua and the other a Rottweiler then they are going to have a hard time reaching the same conclusion. Sharks come in lots of shapes and flavors. A guys impression of what it was like being attacked by a 12' Bull shark will be a lot different from another guys experience being bitten by a 5' Blacktip.

Though that would be the main factor, there are countless other questions to ask and without the answers then the original question is too vague to even be considered. What type of shark is it? Is the Shark hungry or curious? Is the shark attacking you or a fish you are holding? Do you see the shark before it attacks? Do you have the knife in your hand before the fish attacks or is it tucked away somewhere? Where does the shark initially bite you? Arm, leg, face or vital organ? One of the most important questions is how scared are you? A fisherman or spear fisherman who is very used to seeing and dealing with sharks will react much more rationally in that scenario. If you are panicking and spazzing out then you'll probably have no more success with a knife than you would flailing around bare handed.

I don't think anyone is completely wrong on this subject, there is truth in everyone's post, but the real answer is "it depends". There are definitely no absolute answers. If you are saying that a knife will always change the outcome of a shark attack then you are definitely mistaken. Try that theory when a White Shark hits you full speed from behind and body parts start flying. If you are saying that a knife is useless in a shark attack then you are definitely mistaken. As Pelagic said, there are numerous stories of people deterring attacking sharks with nothing but their hands and fists. Spear fishermen commonly deal with aggressive sharks with their spear gun and less commonly with a dive knife.

I caught a 5'-6' Whitetip yesterday on the kayak. I brought him in and saw that the circle hook was barely hooked in the corner of the mouth and brought him close to the kayak to try to release him. Rather than trying to control him and remove the hook with pliers, I planned to cut the little piece of skin holding the hook with my caribbean. The shark was thrashing around and head whipping but it wasn't really a nervous affair. I have done this a hundred times and I have a fair bit of familiarity with these fish, and that's all it is...a fish with sharp teeth. You've got to be careful and respectful obviously but it's still just a big ole fish. I can tell you for sure that if that little guy and I were both in the water (both aware of each other) and he had his teeth and I had a knife then he would be the one in trouble, not me. That's not me trying to sound like a sea ninja, that's just reality. If he were a different species of a different size then the story line would change. It just depends.

Anyway, I think I have a quick video of that shark encounter yesterday. I'll look and if I find it I'll post it here later.
Well said Lance.

You don't have a de-hooker with you for those situations?? It'll save time, fingers, and headaches. Lol
Attachments
2012-12-13_08-30-54_480.jpg
Dehooker
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Bloke » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:34 pm

CanaBrit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:20 pm
This is a rather comical conversation
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:07 am
Yes, I know what you mean
Dingo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am
I’m drunk
Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:42 pm
I certainly agree
SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:34 am
you always swim around with your fixed blade ready in your hand
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:48 am
Fixed blade in hand when near a reef.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 am
like a sea ninja
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:10 pm
Well said Lance
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby ladybug93 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

i hope this thread never dies.

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:39 pm

LOL! darn it Bloke.
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Bloke » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm

A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby 500Nitro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 am

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm
A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
Well, about everything wrong they could do.

Known shark attack area, swimming / splashing around at dusk,

The same rescue person attended this as well as the other two last month where both survived but lost limbs.
Reading the report he didn't stand a chance. Shredded by the sounds of it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

SpyderScout
Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby SpyderScout » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:24 am

Horrifying.

Guess he neither punched it nor paused to ponder, how sharks are 'amazing creatures.' :rolleyes:

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 am

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm
A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
Sad. Where I grew up in North Carolina there's been a relatively large number of drownings in recent years. People need to respect and be educated on the many dangers of the ocean.
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Bloke » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:17 am

Very sad indeed.

It was the first day of a five day trip. As I understand it they were a group of young doctors from Victoria (southern state) and two of them rendered first aid but he died a few hours later in hospital.

Most likely a sizeable Tiger.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 am

Not much you can do when a big Tiger wants you. Thankfully their attitude isn't anywhere near as bad as Bull Sharks... Tiger's get huge!
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5087
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Surfingringo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 am

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm
A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
Sad. Where I grew up in North Carolina there's been a relatively large number of drownings in recent years. People need to respect and be educated on the many dangers of the ocean.
Indeed. Shark attacks are extremely rare here but there are an obscene amount of drownings. Around 100 per year which is very high for such a small country. A lack of respect and an overindulgence in alcohol are often the culprits and the two usually seem to go hand in hand. Earlier this year we lost a tourist from the city and the coast guard and Red Cross spent a week searching for him with no luck. I ended up finding the body just after daylight one morning while kayak fishing. He was about a mile and a half out and I couldn’t get anyone on the phone that early so I tied the body off to the kayak and dragged him in. There was actually a Spyderco story there because I had my serrated edge at the ready to cut the body free if I got caught by a big set while paddling through the surf and coming into the beach but that wasn’t necessary and it didn’t seem like a happy story to be using for touting SE H1 performance. There it is though.

I couldn’t help feeling a little frustration that there is not more education here and people don’t behave more responsibly. He was a young guy (about 19-20). I know he didn’t set out to die that morning but that’s what happened. Sad because most of these deaths are very preventable.

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm
A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
Sad. Where I grew up in North Carolina there's been a relatively large number of drownings in recent years. People need to respect and be educated on the many dangers of the ocean.
Indeed. Shark attacks are extremely rare here but there are an obscene amount of drownings. Around 100 per year which is very high for such a small country. A lack of respect and an overindulgence in alcohol are often the culprits and the two usually seem to go hand in hand. Earlier this year we lost a tourist from the city and the coast guard and Red Cross spent a week searching for him with no luck. I ended up finding the body just after daylight one morning while kayak fishing. He was about a mile and a half out and I couldn’t get anyone on the phone that early so I tied the body off to the kayak and dragged him in. There was actually a Spyderco story there because I had my serrated edge at the ready to cut the body free if I got caught by a big set while paddling through the surf and coming into the beach but that wasn’t necessary and it didn’t seem like a happy story to be using for touting SE H1 performance. There it is though.

I couldn’t help feeling a little frustration that there is not more education here and people don’t behave more responsibly. He was a young guy (about 19-20). I know he didn’t set out to die that morning but that’s what happened. Sad because most of these deaths are very preventable.
Wow Lance. I commend you for your actions yet I'm surprised that you're able to talk about that incident so casually.
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Bloke » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm
Wow Lance. I commend you for your actions yet I'm surprised that you're able to talk about that incident so casually.
I certainly agree Hitch! What a harrowing experience that must have been?

For what it’s worth a surfer fought off a 2.6m White here yesterday with his surfboard and escape with a 20cm gash in his calve. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

User avatar
Surfingringo
Member
Posts: 5087
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Surfingringo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:14 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 am
Pelagic wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 am
Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 pm
A 33yrs man was killed by a shark here yesterday in the same harbour as the last two shark attacks in The Whitsundays last month.
Sad. Where I grew up in North Carolina there's been a relatively large number of drownings in recent years. People need to respect and be educated on the many dangers of the ocean.
Indeed. Shark attacks are extremely rare here but there are an obscene amount of drownings. Around 100 per year which is very high for such a small country. A lack of respect and an overindulgence in alcohol are often the culprits and the two usually seem to go hand in hand. Earlier this year we lost a tourist from the city and the coast guard and Red Cross spent a week searching for him with no luck. I ended up finding the body just after daylight one morning while kayak fishing. He was about a mile and a half out and I couldn’t get anyone on the phone that early so I tied the body off to the kayak and dragged him in. There was actually a Spyderco story there because I had my serrated edge at the ready to cut the body free if I got caught by a big set while paddling through the surf and coming into the beach but that wasn’t necessary and it didn’t seem like a happy story to be using for touting SE H1 performance. There it is though.

I couldn’t help feeling a little frustration that there is not more education here and people don’t behave more responsibly. He was a young guy (about 19-20). I know he didn’t set out to die that morning but that’s what happened. Sad because most of these deaths are very preventable.
Wow Lance. I commend you for your actions yet I'm surprised that you're able to talk about that incident so casually.
Weirdly enough, it was a pretty casual experience. The spirit had long since left the shell that I found floating. I said a prayer for him and his family, hauled the body to the beach and turned around and went fishing.
Last edited by Surfingringo on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cabfrank
Member
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby cabfrank » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Not a good story overall, but Lance, you are the real deal. I'm sure you do more in a day than I will ever do.

Daveho
Member
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Daveho » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:52 pm

Anecdotal tails aside you’re in the habitat of an apex predator- odds are that if it feels like having long pig that day that’s what it’s having.

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Postby Pelagic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Daveho wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:52 pm
Anecdotal tails aside you’re in the habitat of an apex predator- odds are that if it feels like having long pig that day that’s what it’s having.
They very rarely want humans though. It's not in their diet. People surf in offshore places like Teahupo'o, Cortes bank, Ships terns bluff, South Africa (heavily infested with sharks), etc. And maybe have 1 encounter in a lifetime of surfing. Spearfishermen in particular need to pay extra attention when they're killing fish around reefs and swimmers need to know what rules not to break.

As far as knives go, although luck is always involved, people who know nothing about sharks will benefit little from having a knife. People who do know about sharks have a chance.
Wake me up when Spyderco finally releases the NATIVE CHIEF!!
Bodog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 pm
I've had some wild turkey tonight and don't feel like having smoke blown up my ***.
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:42 am
It's the difference that makes the difference.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aseedhouse, Bing [Bot], Capt'n Boatsalot, cornfed, koenigsegg, MacLaren, Sharp Guy, Spydergirl88, Tucson Tom and 53 guests