No sharpening November

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Re: No sharpening November

Post by Bodog »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:37 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 am
Somebody call the police there's a manic on the loose
Hahaha, love it. If I were to try this it would be with a 8cr13mov, VG10 or S30V at best. I'm not spending 2 weeks sharpening anything else from beyond dull.
See that's exactly why I've kinda moved away from high wear steels. I do have stones that cut very fast and for the most part make short work of it but I'm getting to the point where if I can't easily bring it back on a Sharpmaker I'm not interested.
On a similar note, I'm not a fan of how quickly s110v loses its extremely keen edge. I don't sharpen to that point very often (usually it's just 325 grit + stropping for an excellent slicing, working edge... Which can whittle hairs, but not after some use), but when I do I'm surprised at how little use it takes to kill the insane bite i had previously put on it. Several steels that would be considered "lesser" are moving up in my personal ranks.

Has anyone ever made a thread about which models they've heard have absolutely outstanding heat treats? Even if its riddled with anecdotal opinions that would be interesting. I've been very impressed with buck's s30v and Cold Steel's XHP amongst many other spyderco offerings.

There's no way I could go all month without sharpening.
I've been carrying M4 everyday for about a month. I have not put it through serious paces, but i haven't sharpened it either. Still grabs hair and shaves if needed. I wouldn't go with S110V. Just doesn't have the overall profile to last a long time in daily use to justify the amount of time needed to sharpen it.

I'm also very interested in steels like BD1N. I'd love to see where it goes.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That is a very good choice, it should definitely cut all month.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:37 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:00 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Hahaha, love it. If I were to try this it would be with a 8cr13mov, VG10 or S30V at best. I'm not spending 2 weeks sharpening anything else from beyond dull.
See that's exactly why I've kinda moved away from high wear steels. I do have stones that cut very fast and for the most part make short work of it but I'm getting to the point where if I can't easily bring it back on a Sharpmaker I'm not interested.
On a similar note, I'm not a fan of how quickly s110v loses its extremely keen edge. I don't sharpen to that point very often (usually it's just 325 grit + stropping for an excellent slicing, working edge... Which can whittle hairs, but not after some use), but when I do I'm surprised at how little use it takes to kill the insane bite i had previously put on it. Several steels that would be considered "lesser" are moving up in my personal ranks.

Has anyone ever made a thread about which models they've heard have absolutely outstanding heat treats? Even if its riddled with anecdotal opinions that would be interesting. I've been very impressed with buck's s30v and Cold Steel's XHP amongst many other spyderco offerings.

There's no way I could go all month without sharpening.
I've been carrying M4 everyday for about a month. I have not put it through serious paces, but i haven't sharpened it either. Still grabs hair and shaves if needed. I wouldn't go with S110V. Just doesn't have the overall profile to last a long time in daily use to justify the amount of time needed to sharpen it.

I'm also very interested in steels like BD1N. I'd love to see where it goes.
Yeah, I think it'll be a while before I buy another knife in s110v. But for now, it is amongst the best options for my job (corrosion resistance, slicing rope), so I won't be selling my pm2 or millie any time soon. Although I'd trade my s110v pm2 for one of those new 20cv's in a heartbeat.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Cant say i want to tear through everything after the first week, having to live with it for 3 more :p
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

I’m in. I’ll take the Para 3 Maxamet.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

It would seem that my lack of patience has put me a couple of weeks ahead of you guys. I responded to this thread on October 13th and went ahead and sharpened a knife and started then. I've been carrying a caribbean everyday on the kayak and haven't sharpened yet. Honestly, I would normally have touched the edge up by now were it not for this challenge but I'll see it through and report back with findings.

*I also sharpened the Caribbean to 22 degrees inclusive with a 30 degree microbevel for this exercise. I have never run lc200n that low so I figured I might as well test that too while I was at it.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:25 am
It would seem that my lack of patience has put me a couple of weeks ahead of you guys. I responded to this thread on October 13th and went ahead and sharpened a knife and started then. I've been carrying a caribbean everyday on the kayak and haven't sharpened yet. Honestly, I would normally have touched the edge up by now were it not for this challenge but I'll see it through and report back with findings.

*I also sharpened the Caribbean to 22 degrees inclusive with a 30 degree microbevel for this exercise. I have never run lc200n that low so I figured I might as well test that too while I was at it.
Interested in your findings.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

https://youtu.be/DGnOnAtwSNw
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've watched the past couple videos you've posted. Do you only use the flats on the rods in the Sharpmaker?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:16 pm
I've watched the past couple videos you've posted. Do you only use the flats on the rods in the Sharpmaker?
Yes, I rarely use the corners. I find the flats give me better edges and if I need to remove more metal then the diamond rods are far more effective than the corners. Corners are great for serrated edges but that’s about all I use them for.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree. I've been finding using the corners to take me way too much time and not achieving the results I desire. I've actually been free handing on a medium grit wet stone and then using the fine and ultra fine rods to hone the edge and remove the burr. Maybe I'll give just the flats a whirl. Thanks for your videos!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Excellent.
me2

Post by me2 »

I didn't make it. Stopped carrying it a couple weeks ago.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I made it till the end and it still doesn't need sharpening. I carried the SE Salt 2.
I didn't have to cut a lot of stuff in a single day, but as I'm moving and making a new kitchen I had to unpack loads of stuff. So I cut cardboard, straps, plastics, sharpen pencil, sandwiches and even some glass fiber reinforced insulation.
The tip could see some sharpening but overall it's still in very good sharpness, so I'll keep going to see when I really need to take it to the sharpmaker.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Using serrated knives for this challenge seems like cheating!!

:D
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 am

It is lol

You can get away with not sharpening for years if need be with a serrated Spydie.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:45 am
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:15 am

It is lol

You can get away with not sharpening for years if need be with a serrated Spydie.
I admit it is!
I'm thinking on using a plain edge H1 Dragonfly from 1st of January to see how long into the year it can be used without sharpening.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

tonijedi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 am

I admit it is!
I'm thinking on using a plain edge H1 Dragonfly from 1st of January to see how long into the year it can be used without sharpening.
Interesting

I think it will be determined by what you are cutting and how much work.

I can get away with general use, card board, rope but the minute I went anywhere near the sea, surf and sand,
then the grit started to show.

I notice it when using other knives and cutting up animals, once onto the meat they are fine (as long as you don't get bone)
but the initial cutting through hair (and of course dirt), skin, thick gristle, the edge goes.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:28 am
tonijedi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 am

I admit it is!
Interesting

I think it will be determined by what you are cutting and how much work.

I can get away with general use, card board, rope but the minute I went anywhere near the sea, surf and sand,
then the grit started to show.

I notice it when using other knives and cutting up animals, once onto the meat they are fine (as long as you don't get bone)
but the initial cutting through hair (and of course dirt), skin, thick gristle, the edge goes.
One of the things I cut once in a while is asphalt fabric (not sure this is the correct word) for waterproofing terraces and balconies. While the layer itself can be demanding on the edge the worst thing is when I'm cutting old insulations and geotextiles full of dirt and sand.